Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 8/8/07 Minors Updates:

Re: 8/8/07 Minors Updates:

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Key, can you tell us how Coot was last night? Mentally screwed up with the demotion or just didn't have it?

Is this the first time you caught him?

Can Ramirez pitch himself out of a wet paper bag?

Does Salmon have enough to be up in Cincy? How was his velocity? Movement?

Gracias.
    Coot...well, as you can see by the numbers didn't fare too well in his first AAA outing. He was really flying open with his front side and not hitting his spots. Kinda hard to set people up that way. Don't take this the wrong way, but he could care less about the demotion. It was a numbers game when you look at it - he had options, the other lefties didn't. He's not a headcase by any means. He'll be fine next time out.

EZ ran into a wall last night in the 5th inning as you can see. He was cruising along well until then. Honestly, I wouldn't expect anyone to pitch longer than 5 innings in this heat. It was brutal last night and the air was stagnant. Not even the nightfall helped cool things off because there was no breeze. I think I lost 10 pounds and couldn't get enough fluids in me.

Yes, Salmon has what it takes to be in Cincy. He has 4 good pitches (FB, Slider, Split, and a newly acquired curve). He's had great control with his curve getting it over for strikes. When he's calm on the mound, he'll dominate. Sometimes I think he rushes too much and just needs to take a step back and slow things down. I think he was consistent 91 - 93 last night with his fastball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    That "7-runs allowed with 2 outs" inning was brutal to watch. Lizard's fastball looked _really_ straight.
    that's what happens when you get tired. a caught ball in the outfield would have ended that inning though. after that the wheels fell off and he wasn't getting any downward angle on his pitches. everything was up in the zone and getting hit hard.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur View Post
    Coot...well, as you can see by the numbers didn't fare too well in his first AAA outing. He was really flying open with his front side and not hitting his spots. Kinda hard to set people up that way. Don't take this the wrong way, but he could care less about the demotion. It was a numbers game when you look at it - he had options, the other lefties didn't. He's not a headcase by any means. He'll be fine next time out.

EZ ran into a wall last night in the 5th inning as you can see. He was cruising along well until then. Honestly, I wouldn't expect anyone to pitch longer than 5 innings in this heat. It was brutal last night and the air was stagnant. Not even the nightfall helped cool things off because there was no breeze. I think I lost 10 pounds and couldn't get enough fluids in me.

Yes, Salmon has what it takes to be in Cincy. He has 4 good pitches (FB, Slider, Split, and a newly acquired curve). He's had great control with his curve getting it over for strikes. When he's calm on the mound, he'll dominate. Sometimes I think he rushes too much and just needs to take a step back and slow things down. I think he was consistent 91 - 93 last night with his fastball.
    Good stuff. Thanks.

Thanks for the insight KeyMastur! Much appreciated.

High five!

Great info, thanks!

I'd like to add that I really appreciate the insight you've brought KeyMastur, regardless of some of the snippy comments from other posters. Keep it up, please.

Coot...

EZ

Yes, Salmon...
    Thanks for the insight. That stuff is very much appreciated by everyone here.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Well you just summed up the entire Reds crappy organziation. Two pitchers, Coutlangus and Salmon, both good enough to be in the big leagues, both who posted ERA's under 4 while there, down in AAA because 1 guy was the new guy who throws with the wrong arm (all while Stanton gets to post an ERA over 5) and Salmon is down, well I have no clue why he is down. The Reds are not about fielding the best team and that is a major problem.... especially when its not like you are out rushing your best prospects. I get keeping Jay Bruce in the minors the rest of the year. I dont get keeping two guys in Jon and Brad down in AAA for crap.

Maybe Coutlangus was pitching so they'd release him so he could sign on with another club.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Maybe Coutlangus was pitching so they'd release him so he could sign on with another club.
    huh ?? they didn't release him. they optioned him down. if any other lefty was to come down from the bullpen he'd have to clear waivers and be taken off the roster

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well you just summed up the entire Reds crappy organziation. Two pitchers, Coutlangus and Salmon, both good enough to be in the big leagues, both who posted ERA's under 4 while there, down in AAA because 1 guy was the new guy who throws with the wrong arm (all while Stanton gets to post an ERA over 5) and Salmon is down, well I have no clue why he is down. The Reds are not about fielding the best team and that is a major problem.... especially when its not like you are out rushing your best prospects. I get keeping Jay Bruce in the minors the rest of the year. I dont get keeping two guys in Jon and Brad down in AAA for crap.
    I don't think it's that big a deal. Even with his 3.93 ERA he was pitching pretty awful. His ERA really should have been closer to the 5.00 range IMO.

Not that Stanton is great either, because he's not. I'm still hopeful the Reds can find a sucker to take on his 3M due next season. If Cout was really pitching well I could see how people would be pissed that he was optioned to keep an inferior pitcher, but in this case they have both really stunk. Cout has some things he needs to work on, and I'd prefer he do it in the majors since he may actually fit into future plans (inliuke Stanton), but if you are talking about fielding the best team for right now, the differenve between Stanton and Cout is pretty minimal.

I think Krivsky has a pretty awful plan with the youth movement, but getting rid of Stanton's contract would be worth sending down Cout for awhile. Plus considering just how bad Cout was last night, perhaps this was something the Reds saw coming. I don't know anything for sure, but Cout hardly went down and showed the world what the Reds were missing.

I agree with you Salmon. He needs to be up. He should have a future in this organization, plus he's one of the current best 7 relief pitchers.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 08-09-2007 at 01:44 PM.

I think the Reds see Couter as a LOOGY, and a .378 OBP was not getting the job done, especially when Gosling has better numbers against lefties.

huh ?? they didn't release him. they optioned him down. if any other lefty was to come down from the bullpen he'd have to clear waivers and be taken off the roster
    I think he was saying sarcastically that Coot was pitching bad, intentionally, so he would be released and he could join a team that would actually play him in the majors because our team is obsessed with LH'ers, and vets. So the vets get to stay, while our young better pitchers get optioned. Doesn't make sense for a team that is out of it to be playing sCrappy vets.

Thank you for the info, KeyMastur. That's great insight. I have so many questions I almost want to start a new thread. I'll try to limit myself to just a few, though.

Do you think Bill Bray and Marcus McBeth have any potential as closers down the line? If not, what do you think holds them back?

What's the deal with Anderson Machado? His defense seems adequate, he can get on base at a high rate, and he has decent speed, but it seems like his gap power is worse than Vern Troyer's. Is his problem mostly physical?

Is there a player the Reds have released and made you think, "Geez, the Reds really screwed up when they let him go."?

I didn't say they did. I said, Maybe he pitched that way so they "WOULD" release him. It was sarcasm, anyway.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?