Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Media coverage of Bonds breaking record

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Media coverage of Bonds breaking record

I know there is a thread for Bonds breaking the record, but I thought this one deserved its own thread.

I woke up to watch ESPN News this morning before I took off for work, needless to say, the whole HALF HOUR was dedicated to nothing but Barry Lamar Bonds. They did show at one point box scores from other games, but was this really necessary?

Not sure about Sportscenter and their coverage, but to take a whole half hour of the morning and dedicate it to nothing more than Barry Bonds really shows the emphasis that is placed on certain athletes and records. I don't even think this was as big a deal as when he broke the single season record.

Anybody else notice?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Media coverage of Bonds breaking record

I noticed his oldest daughter is quite attractive....I don't know how old she is, though

To be honest, I am not sure.
    Had someone more personable broken the record, even more attention and coverage might have been given.
    Yes, there was quite the hype, but too many - myself included - were stuck in "I could care less, let's focus on baseball" mode. Had it been Junior, for instance, I would have been disappointed with a half hour's coverage.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I know there is a thread for Bonds breaking the record, but I thought this one deserved its own thread.

I woke up to watch ESPN News this morning before I took off for work, needless to say, the whole HALF HOUR was dedicated to nothing but Barry Lamar Bonds. They did show at one point box scores from other games, but was this really necessary?

Not sure about Sportscenter and their coverage, but to take a whole half hour of the morning and dedicate it to nothing more than Barry Bonds really shows the emphasis that is placed on certain athletes and records. I don't even think this was as big a deal as when he broke the single season record.

Anybody else notice?
    He is only the third guy to hit over 700 homeruns in a game that is over a hundred years old, and you don't think that it's important? I'm confused. Personal feelings for him aside, it's a big news story.

This absolutely deserves the coverage it's gotten. Like him or not, this is nothing to sneeze at.

And as Matt mentioned, Barry's oldest daughter is quite attractive.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    He is only the third guy to hit over 700 homeruns in a game that is over a hundred years old, and you don't think that it's important? I'm confused. Personal feelings for him aside, it's a big news story.
    Is it worth devoting a whole morning to though? I mean, it should definitely be the lead story with a big follow-up, but to devote the entire half hour especially when there are other games and sports to carry, isn't that a bit much?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?