Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justin Upton misses the cycle by a single..only 19years old?

Justin Upton misses the cycle by a single..only 19years old?

per rotoworld:

Justin Upton missed hitting for the cycle by just a single against the Pirates on Tuesday.
    Upton tripled in the second, hit a solo homer in the fourth, and then doubled in the seventh. He received just one more at-bat in the contest, grounding out to second against closer Matt Capps to end the game. The homer, which was a deep drive to left off starter Tom Gorzelanny, was his first in the major leagues. Upton is 19-years-old and has been in the majors less than a week yet has already almost hit for the cycle. He's got a decent little future ahead of himself. Aug. 8 - 1:22 am et

SO why not bring up Bruce?? lets see what his future holds... might as well, nothing but the JR 600 watch to look forward too!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Justin Upton misses the cycle by a single..only 19years old?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    per rotoworld:

Justin Upton missed hitting for the cycle by just a single against the Pirates on Tuesday.
    Upton tripled in the second, hit a solo homer in the fourth, and then doubled in the seventh. He received just one more at-bat in the contest, grounding out to second against closer Matt Capps to end the game. The homer, which was a deep drive to left off starter Tom Gorzelanny, was his first in the major leagues. Upton is 19-years-old and has been in the majors less than a week yet has already almost hit for the cycle. He's got a decent little future ahead of himself. Aug. 8 - 1:22 am et

SO why not bring up Bruce?? lets see what his future holds... might as well, nothing but the JR 600 watch to look forward too!!
    Because we're not in a pennant race and he's not going to be as good as Upton, though others differ. But, he hasn't hit as well as Upton has this year. But, the way Bruce is playing, he'd probably hit well whenever he is brought up.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Umm, Jay Bruce has hit better than Upton has this year. I don't know what you have been looking at?

I think he's in a class above Bruce. I still fell he'll be an All-Star next year and every year after that for the next 10 years.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

He may very well be better than Bruce, but if so, not by much, and DEFINITELY not a class above him. But really, this is like comparing Peyton Manning to Tom Brady, but not at that level.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    He may very well be better than Bruce, but if so, not by much, and DEFINITELY not a class above him. But really, this is like comparing Peyton Manning to Tom Brady, but not at that level.
    Peyton is much better than Tom Brady. Tom Brady has always had a great team around him. Peyton hasnt. If all things were equal, Peyton Manning is a much better quarterback than Tom Brady is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    I think he's in a class above Bruce. I still fell he'll be an All-Star next year and every year after that for the next 10 years.
    Well thats fine and all, but you said that Jay hasnt hit as well as Justin this year, and that is clearly not the case, or even close to it. Justin played in the California League while Jay was in the FSL. Thats like playing in Cincinnati and playing in San Diego..... and Jay still had a higher OPS in A+.

I have to somewhat agree here. The one thing that concerns me about Bruce, and that I think will limit him just a bit in the majors, is his K/BB ratio. It's not the fact he strikes out a lot (that's a different discussion and I tend to fall into the camp that Ks aren't different than any other out), but that he doesn't offset the Ks with BBs. To me, a great determining factor between a serviceable MLer and a super-star is the K/BB ratio. The closer it is to 1 or more, the more likely the player is to be in that super-star class.

To me, Bruce is going to be more like Geoff Jenkins than Larry Walker in his ML career. That's not a knock on Bruce, mind you, just an analysis of his minor-league #'s.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

Because we're not in a pennant race and he's not going to be as good as Upton, though others differ. But, he hasn't hit as well as Upton has this year. But, the way Bruce is playing, he'd probably hit well whenever he is brought up.
    That's where you're wrong, my friend. The Reds think they are in a pennant race. No room for rookies like Bruce and Votto when the team is chasing down the Central leaders.

Bruce will be called up in September.

That is, assuming Krivsky isn't still in "Win Now" mode.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I have to somewhat agree here. The one thing that concerns me about Bruce, and that I think will limit him just a bit in the majors, is his K/BB ratio. It's not the fact he strikes out a lot (that's a different discussion and I tend to fall into the camp that Ks aren't different than any other out), but that he doesn't offset the Ks with BBs. To me, a great determining factor between a serviceable MLer and a super-star is the K/BB ratio. The closer it is to 1 or more, the more likely the player is to be in that super-star class.

To me, Bruce is going to be more like Geoff Jenkins than Larry Walker in his ML career. That's not a knock on Bruce, mind you, just an analysis of his minor-league #'s.
    Geoff Jenkins? Really? Becuase he doesn't walk a ton? You do know that Jay Bruce is 20 and in AAA right? Geoff Jenkins didn't get to AAA until he was 23, and even then he posted a .717 OPS the first time around. I am not saying Geoff Jenkins is a bad player or anything, but I cant see any type of comparison between the two as hitters at all outside of a walk rate.

But if we are going to truly do an analysis of Bruce's minor league numbers, I suggest we actually look at them. Highest OPS for a 20 year old or younger in the FSL with 100 at bats over the last 6 seasons. David Wright, Joe Mauer, Hanley Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera and Matt Kemp all also qualified. He then went to AA and posted an OPS over 1.000 as a 20 year old. He is now in AAA as a 20 year old and is posting an OPS of .973. You aren't going to find guys his age doing what he is doing. So looking at it statistically, or really almost any other way, I don't see how Geoff Jenkins is someone you can possible come up with.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 08-09-2007 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Peyton is much better than Tom Brady. Tom Brady has always had a great team around him. Peyton hasnt. If all things were equal, Peyton Manning is a much better quarterback than Tom Brady is.
    Manning is no where near as good as Brady.

Brady is in a class by himself, perhaps the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. Manning is just another Marino, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Manning is no where near as good as Brady.

Brady is in a class by himself, perhaps the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. Manning is just another Marino, not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Sorry to drag the thread off track, but you can't be serious! Brady is the most overrated player in football today. He's efficient and doesn't make mistakes, but he's not the guy who can put a team on his back and carry it. He rode a very good defense and a great coaching staff to three Super Bowls. Two minutes left, I'll take Manning over Brady any time.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong about the statement that Brady has always had a better team around him.

Manning has had his entire career Marvin Harrison...and he's had Reggie Wayne for about 5 years now, and he had Brandon Stokely his whole career....oh, and some dude named Edgerin James, and Brady has had nothing but waiver-wire pickups and Kevin Faulk.

The offensive lines of both clubs have been a contrast in talent every year. Where the Pats changed players every time someone threatened to make any kind of money at all, the Colts kept the best players they could find and protected Manning at all costs. Brady constantly scrambled for his life, or because of his absolute genius, would call plays that would offset the weaknesses of his line and play to their strengths. Manning couldn't hit the broadside of a barn on a rollout, and he panics whenever he does roll out.

Manning has had his entire career Marvin Harrison...and he's had Reggie Wayne for about 5 years now, and he had Brandon Stokely his whole career....oh, and some dude named Edgerin James, and Brady has had nothing but waiver-wire pickups and Kevin Faulk.
    And no defense. Defense is pretty important in the NFL.

Turn Off Ads?