Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four unsigned

Senor Votto

Four unsigned

John Faye's blog

Four unsigned; minor matters

Tonight at midnight is the deadline by which draft picks have to sign or go into next year's draft. As of this morning, the Reds had signed all but five of their picks from the first 30 rounds. Still unsigned:

4. Blake Stouffer, 1b, Texas A&M
    8. Andrew O'Neil, RHP, Penn State
    17. Jesse Craig, RHP, Brigham Young
    18. Taylor Jordan, rHP, Merritt Island, Fla., HS
    27. Jason Roenicke, RHP, Cuesta College.

The minor report from Jamie Ramsey:

Louisville loses a close one to Indianapolis…Jay Bruce homers…Chattanooga beats Tennessee…Drew Anderson with 3 hits (1hr)…Sarasota wins at Dunedin…Daryl Thompson with a solid outing…Dayton beats the Bees…Daniel Guerrero with a quality start…Drew Stubbs swinging a hot bat…Billings loses to Casper…GCL Reds were off (99th anniversary of the first beauty contest).

JAY BRUCE: In 117 games split this season with Sarasota, Chattanooga and Louisville – Bruce is batting .321 with 23 HR, 83 RBI and 41 doubles. His 72 extra-base hits leads the minor leagues.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Four unsigned

Jeremy Sowers

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    Jeremy Sowers
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What?
    I dont remember posting that but ok

I assume the college players are all juniors, except the guy from Brigham Young. Is that correct? I couldn't fault the team taking a flyer on Jesse Craig, even though he said he wasn't going to play professionally.

Not a bad track record - we signed the vast majority, didn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    Jeremy Sowers
    Good example. He would be a good pitcher right about now in Cincinnati if we would have signed him. Is he the only first round pick we havn't signed in a while?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Good example. He would be a good pitcher right about now in Cincinnati if we would have signed him. Is he the only first round pick we havn't signed in a while?
    Sowers is the only first round pick we have ever not signed.

Sowers was 1-6, 6.93 ERA this year, and is back in the minors.

Unless he gets his strike out ability back, he's not a viable major league pitcher. He was 19K's, 19 W's in 62 innings this year.

Well the deadline passed? Did we just waste to top 10 picks or did they sign?
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Well the deadline passed? Did we just waste to top 10 picks or did they sign?
    I wouldn't say wasted them. I doubt more than 2 or 3 teams signed all of their top 10 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Sowers was 1-6, 6.93 ERA this year, and is back in the minors.

Unless he gets his strike out ability back, he's not a viable major league pitcher. He was 19K's, 19 W's in 62 innings this year.
    Thanks for the info. I didn't look at his stats this year. I usually don't look at stats. I try to make my impressions on my own. He was pitching much better last year. I think he would have been great to have. He's still pretty young, I'm not giving up on him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    What about Robert Jones in 1982?

Didn't I read somewhere a couple days ago that the Reds were like #1 or #2 in all of baseball for the number of draft picks signed?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

If it is any consolation, the Astros signed neither of their first two picks. And their first two selections came in rounds 3 and 4.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Didn't I read somewhere a couple days ago that the Reds were like #1 or #2 in all of baseball for the number of draft picks signed?
    We signed nearly 90% of our draftees (unsigned 5/49 drafted). I can't find a site that breaks down how many each team signed. It's interesting because there were two things happening this year that were new.

First, this deadline (particularly with no "draft and follow" anymore) which certainly left college juniors and high school draftees with having by a time definite. Second, the recommended slot money. It will be interesting to look at the analysis of how that effects the totaal signing money across the board. Likewise, it will be interesting to see how these college junior's fare next year. Of course, some can opt for independent ball, but I'm not sure I'd go that route if I were one of these players.

It seems all the outstanding 1st round players signed yesterday. Is that right?

According to Baseball America, The Reds only signed 34 of their 53 draft picks. But only 4 guys in the First 20 rounds didn't sign. So that would be 19 out of 23 because we had the extra picks.

Turn Off Ads?