Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn's lowered stock...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Dunn's lowered stock...

CNNSI

The Reds would have liked to find a taker for Adam Dunn. And considering the lack of power around the majors, it's hard to believe there weren't great offers. But apparently that is the case. According to sources, it isn't so much Dunn's indifferent defense that has lowered his stock with his employers but his struggles in the clutch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn's lowered stock...

Better pick up that option then if other GM's base their player evaluation on one a rare occurrence
    Go Gators!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I for some reason doubt that it has as much to do with his hitting abilities as it does his contract situation. At least I would hope so.

If this is the case and Dunn's demand is much lower than it should be, then get him inked to a below market long-term deal.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

It astounds me sometimes that these folks get paid to write this dreck.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It astounds me sometimes that these folks get paid to write this dreck.
    What's sad is that I don't think the writer is to blame. It's quite possible that what he's saying is completely accurate. Dunn's value in the trade market was lowered by the perception that he isn't clutch. Whether or not he is or isn't clutch and how much that should affect his value is another conversation entirely.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Dunn's market value is always going to be lowered because of stats like strikeouts and batting average. Bad for him, but good for the Reds because they can use that to their advantage and sign him for less than a lesser offensive player whose older traditional stats look better.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

With Hamilton and Bruce both nearly ready and with Junior coming off the payroll (well, not technically, but accounting wise), it would be a real shame if we wasted the opportunity we have with Dunn. Because of this problem, we should be offering him a 2 year, $30M extension, get his peak years without the risk of his decline phase, and have the offense basically locked in for the next 3 years.

I would not be surprised at all to see him get Carlos Lee money in FA.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    With Hamilton and Bruce both nearly ready and with Junior coming off the payroll (well, not technically, but accounting wise), it would be a real shame if we wasted the opportunity we have with Dunn. Because of this problem, we should be offering him a 2 year, $30M extension, get his peak years without the risk of his decline phase, and have the offense basically locked in for the next 3 years.

I would not be surprised at all to see him get Carlos Lee money in FA.
    If Dunn would take 2 years, 15 million in addition to us picking up his option next year, I would be stoked to sign him to that deal. Problem is, I don't think he would take that kind of deal when he could make that kind of money, for more years going somewhere else. And as our moronic owner said, if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy. Well as we know, Dunns momma aint too happy in Cincinnati.

but how does one gauge clutch? Isn't it more random chance than anything else?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I have a feeling they are defining clutch as BARISP.

but how does one gauge clutch?
    I think they're scouting him.

One word: KRISP
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    One word: KRISP
    Okay...I don't even know what that means!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Probably Ks with RISP.

Turn Off Ads?