Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady

Re: Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Yes it is close. I agree that Peyton is the best QB right now (and may very well go down as the best of all time), but to say "hands down" and "not even close" is simple hyperbole, and not accurate at all.
    You could have a point. I am a Colts fan so I am a little biased.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tom Brady has won 3 Super Bowls with:

RB: Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon
    WR: Troy Brown, David Patten, Deion Branch, David Givens
    TE: Rod Rutledge, Jermaine Wiggins, Daniel Graham

I don't care who you are, that's impressive. I know Brady has a much, much better defense, but those positional players mentioned above are overall, mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post

I don't care who you are, that's impressive. I know Brady has a much, much better defense, but those positional players mentioned above are overall, mediocre.
    Not all of those players are mediocre, Dillon is a borderline HOFer albiet at the end of his career.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So you have never heard a scout say they would take Brady over Manning? You are just assuming it would be said now?
    I'm not assuming anything. I just want you to find your own source, but let it be a legitimate source. So, I gave you a name in your area you can contact. Anything other than a real NFL scout is not legitimate.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Isn't it interesting that no matter who the Colts plug in, they seem to be very good recievers? Think maybe there is something more to that than 'they just have good recievers'? Maybe because Peyton places the ball perfectly at times?
    Not at all. Harrison and Wayne would be All-Pros no matter where they played. Harrison would be a Hall-of-Famer no matter who he played for during his career.

New England's receivers have been crappy whereever they've played except in New England.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post

Don't forget rookies all the time on the offensive line for Brady. You could see what Palmer was able to do with a Rookie center last year. Nothing.

We'll know more at the end of the season. I'm really interested in seeing Brady throwing to Randy Moss and Dante Stallworth, two quality NFL receivers.

One thing no one mentions about Peyton. The NFL has spent the last few years "interpreting" the rules to help out the precision passing game (namely the Indianapolis Colts). They've all but eliminated the hand-checking at the line, allowing for cleaner breaks from the line, and they have disallowed almost any contact between WR and DB's. Both of those allow very "precise" timing patterns to run more cleanly. Sounds alot like the "Jordan Rules" to me.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Don't forget rookies all the time on the offensive line for Brady. You could see what Palmer was able to do with a Rookie center last year. Nothing.
    I hardly consider 4,000+ yds, 28 TDs to only 13 picks for a 93.9 passer rating to be "nothing". The team itself didn't do much, but despite all the distractions and injuries, Palmer had a pretty darn good year.
    Last edited by Screwball; 08-09-2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: passer rating was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post

Nothing, huh? Ok. I guess it was someone else throwing for over 4000 yards and 28 touchdowns.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Tom Brady hasn't won any Super Bowls. He has played on a team that has won Super Bowls.

Again, we look at John Elway to see that great quarterbacks don't win them on their own. We look at Trent Dilfer to see that even lousy ones can win.

Brady is neither Elway or Dilfer, but somewhere in between (much closer to Elway, of course) but we can use those others to see that it takes an entire roster of players, on both sides of the ball, to do it.

Ken Anderson could have won Super Bowls had he played on the Steelers. Bradshaw wouldn't have won a thing had he played on the Bengals. Who do people talk about being the better QB?

The NFL has this annoying habit of placing all the focus on Super Bowl Champions and the team's quarterback. It's like the other 21 people had nothing to do with anything.

New England has been able to rely on defense. That isn't a knock on Brady, but don't take away credit from the entire team by saying Tom Brady did it by himself.

What should excite Brady fans is that this year the focus will be on the offense and we'll get to see just how good he is. I think he'll do quite well and show that he is a top notch QB deserving of all the praise people have put upon him. My personal feeling is that he'll retire ranked a little higher than his talent, which is pretty natural considering how many SB's the Pats won.

I'd argue Warren Moon was a better quarterback than Brady but the teams he played on didn't have near the coaching talent or defense that Brady had. That would be an interesting case study.

I don't think Brady is as good as Manning, and I'm not sure that it matters. He only has to be good enough to win it all; something the team's Manning has played for haven't been able to do with anywhere near the success as the Pats.

It falls into two categories then: Who was the better quarterback talent wise and who played for the better team

The teams win Super Bowls, and the quarterbacks win passing titles. I'll bet Manning would trade all the highest rated QB stuff for the titles.

Which leaves us with this: Manning is the better QB who played for the lesser team(s). Brady is a great QB who played for the better squads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Tom Brady hasn't won any Super Bowls. He has played on a team that has won Super Bowls.

Again, we look at John Elway to see that great quarterbacks don't win them on their own. We look at Trent Dilfer to see that even lousy ones can win.

Brady is neither Elway or Dilfer, but somewhere in between (much closer to Elway, of course) but we can use those others to see that it takes an entire roster of players, on both sides of the ball, to do it.

Ken Anderson could have won Super Bowls had he played on the Steelers. Bradshaw wouldn't have won a thing had he played on the Bengals. Who do people talk about being the better QB?

The NFL has this annoying habit of placing all the focus on Super Bowl Champions and the team's quarterback. It's like the other 21 people had nothing to do with anything.

New England has been able to rely on defense. That isn't a knock on Brady, but don't take away credit from the entire team by saying Tom Brady did it by himself.

What should excite Brady fans is that this year the focus will be on the offense and we'll get to see just how good he is. I think he'll do quite well and show that he is a top notch QB deserving of all the praise people have put upon him. My personal feeling is that he'll retire ranked a little higher than his talent, which is pretty natural considering how many SB's the Pats won.

I'd argue Warren Moon was a better quarterback than Brady but the teams he played on didn't have near the coaching talent or defense that Brady had. That would be an interesting case study.

I don't think Brady is as good as Manning, and I'm not sure that it matters. He only has to be good enough to win it all; something the team's Manning has played for haven't been able to do with anywhere near the success as the Pats.

It falls into two categories then: Who was the better quarterback talent wise and who played for the better team

The teams win Super Bowls, and the quarterbacks win passing titles. I'll bet Manning would trade all the highest rated QB stuff for the titles.

Which leaves us with this: Manning is the better QB who played for the lesser team(s). Brady is a great QB who played for the better squads.
    Exactly

I bet an argument could be made that if Payton played for New England and Brady played for Indy, that Manning would have a few of those rings. You can't ignore that fact that NE played great defense through those years, and that Indy's D was a lot worse. It goes to show, SB rings are way judging the team as a whole, not any individual. As far as individual performance goes, Manning has been superior. The stats don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    That's a great wrap up right there. I agree with you.

Turn Off Ads?