Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you really want Jay Bruce sitting on the bench next year, or even the year after?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Do you really want Jay Bruce sitting on the bench next year, or even the year aft

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    With a decision regarding $13M, John Allen has a major influence in the decision.
    Not a chance. Wayne Krivsky is told hey, you have this much money to spend on payroll this year. Spend it wisely. Waynes job is to figure out where to spend that money at. John Allen has no say in it, and if he does, then the Reds are completely screwed anyways and we all might as well just stop posting on redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you really want Jay Bruce sitting on the bench next year, or even the year aft

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I like it, although Bruce batting cleanup already is a bit premature.
    I believe Bruce is the quintessential #3 hitter.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Why would you want to pay $13M more next year for Dunn when you can get almost equal play from Bruce.
    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Hamilton
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Bruce
    I like Jay Bruce as much as anybody, but you guys are getting WAY ahead of yourselves. MLB history is loaded with guys who were fantastic prospects who either flopped completely or never quite lived up to their billing in the majors. Even those who did live up to the hype often took two or three years to get acclimated before reaching their potential.

For every guy like Albert Pujols who completely lived up to the hype, I can name two guys like Billy Ashley who were total flops or ten guys like Pete Incaviglia who were solid players but never lived up to expectations. Heck, just look at the career of the guy who you want to jettison. Adam Dunn was a 300+ hitter in the minors and hit 330+ in the upper minors.

To claim Jay Bruce will step right into the Reds lineup and immediately bat cleanup and provide the same kind of production as Dunn is foolhardy.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 08-10-2007 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    To claim Jay Bruce will step right into the Reds lineup and immediately bat cleanup and provide the same kind of production as Dunn is foolhardy.
    Yup.

Plus, even if next year's outfield consists of Dunn, Griffey,and Hamilton, there will be plenty of ABs available for Bruce, given the age and injury history of Griffey, and the apparent brittleness of Hamilton. It's not like the kid will rot on the bench.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    JR is my favortie player but I want no part of him being on the Reds past next year, he should go back to Seattle or to a team that might have an actual shot at a title.
    Griffey came to Cincinnati for a reason, and if both Griffey and the Reds have success in 2008, I don't think it's unrealistic to see him stay a couple more years to help groom Bruce. I think it would help add to Griffey's legacy if he became more of a part-time player late in his career.

Bruce vs. Dunn? What a perfectly silly false choice that is.

First off, this notion that Josh Hamilton is a given is based on what? His long track record of success? His good health? I'm not saying Hamilton can't or won't be a decent player, but he might be nothing more than a 4th OF or a platoon player (and there's nothing wrong with that). I know this much, I've seen enough of Hamilton to not want him as a regular CF. He's fine as a backup option in CF, but I want more range than he's got out there. If Hamilton's going to be a regular, I'd want him in an OF corner.

And then there's Jr. Given the Reds' pathetic attendance I think it's fair to say that no one on the roster puts fannies in seats. Jr. is the oldest player in the Reds' OF and historically the most fragile of the bunch. If you're looking to open a slot for Jay Bruce, then Jr.'s the guy who ought to go. You don't rebuild around guys in their late 30s.

As for Dunn's option, if the Reds don't pick it up, then there's really no reason to view them as a viable major league franchise. Seriously, major league franchises don't release players like Dunn over piddly $3M raises. I don't advocate the Reds embrace futility.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

As for Dunn's option, if the Reds don't pick it up, then there's really no reason to view them as a viable major league franchise. Seriously, major league franchises don't release players like Dunn over piddly $3M raises. I don't advocate the Reds embrace futility.
    If the Reds don't pick up his option I don't think it will be due to his raise, but more due to the fact that morons run this team. I don't think Dunn is a good fit for this team, especially based off of what the team is trying to be built around, but there is no way they can't choose to not use his option.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Yup.

Plus, even if next year's outfield consists of Dunn, Griffey,and Hamilton, there will be plenty of ABs available for Bruce, given the age and injury history of Griffey, and the apparent brittleness of Hamilton. It's not like the kid will rot on the bench.
    I've seen mention of this a couple of times here and I have to interject. The notion that Hamilton is brittle IMO is as false as anything I have read on here lately. What would you expect from a guy who has been out of the game as much as Hamilton has. I don't think brittle has anything to do with it. I kind of compare it to when us non professional athletes use muscles that we havn't used for a while. I remember the first time I rode a bike in like 8 years, I had pain in spots I didn't know were there. I'm sure Josh had been swinging the bat during alot of his time away from the game but the riggers of everyday in the majors are something that is impossible to duplicate in even the most intense training program. It's a wrist sprain, it could have happened to anyone and if Derek Jeter had the same injury tomorrow we wouldn't call him brittle and he hasn't been away from the game as Hamilton has. This kid is going to be something special, and I refuse to tag him as injury prone after a fluke injury like this. Maybe he will prove me wrong but I hope not because as far as putting my butt in the seats of gabp, there's nobody like Josh Hamilton.

One point we should all realize is that Jay Bruce is not on the 40-man roster. Until he is put on that roster, he will be unable to be called up to Cincinnati. The Reds will have to put him on the 40-man roster before we will see him in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Griffey came to Cincinnati for a reason, and if both Griffey and the Reds have success in 2008, I don't think it's unrealistic to see him stay a couple more years to help groom Bruce. I think it would help add to Griffey's legacy if he became more of a part-time player late in his career.
    If Bruce is all that he's cracked up to be then he won't need that much grooming, I know JR came here to win but that's not happening anytime soon, this team needs major help, him going back to Seattle, the team he's going into the HOF with would be more of a story book ending to his career IMO
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    One point we should all realize is that Jay Bruce is not on the 40-man roster. Until he is put on that roster, he will be unable to be called up to Cincinnati. The Reds will have to put him on the 40-man roster before we will see him in Cincinnati.
    If and when the reds want to call up Bruce, it will not be difficult to find a spot on the 40 man roster.

If he replaces a guy like Jason Ellison, they can simply remove him from the 40 man roster and get him off the team. Finding a 40 man roster spot will not be a hinderance in getting Bruce a spot on the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not a chance. Wayne Krivsky is told hey, you have this much money to spend on payroll this year. Spend it wisely. Waynes job is to figure out where to spend that money at. John Allen has no say in it, and if he does, then the Reds are completely screwed anyways and we all might as well just stop posting on redszone.

The reason I believe that Allen has a lot of influence on decisions, is that it doesn't make any sense to acquire Brendan Harris in a trade, a player with the ability to step in immediately and help the team, only to turn around six months later and obtain cash for him.

If that was Krivsky's decision, and not influenced heavily by John Allen, then it reveals a black hole in Krivsky's ability to judge talent.

Not that he's any different than any other G.M. They all make bad decisions every year....every single one of them.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

I think you are reading way too into the Harris deal. If John Allen had any influence on the decisions, I think he would have suggested a move of a player not making the league minimum.

counting on Hamilton will likely be a huge mistake, Jr as well. If they are in a complete rebuilding mode then by all means.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    The notion that Hamilton is brittle IMO is as false as anything I have read on here lately.
    He's missed 50 games. He's been on the DL twice. He sprained his wrist swinging a bat.

Josh Hamilton is a great story, and he's performed well when he's been on the field, but the guy has a tough time staying healthy.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?