Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you really want Jay Bruce sitting on the bench next year, or even the year after?

Do you really want Jay Bruce sitting on the bench next year, or even the year after?

Then why would you want Dunn on the team?

Hamilton is your starter in Center the next 2 years if Dunn is on the team.

Griffey is your starter in Right and he's not going anywhere the next two years.

Why would you want to pay $13M more next year for Dunn when you can get almost equal play from Bruce.

$13M is much more wisely spent.

....and to suggest that Bruce would be the 4th outfielder is a good way to ruin a Bruce's career. The Mariner's did it last year with Adam Jones, and they're doing it again this year with him.

Now, I could see Dunn playing the first half of the year with the REDS, so they could take the time to trade him, and Bruce could stay in AAA for the first half of the year playing every day, but he's going to have to start for the REDS eventually, and that means taking Dunn's spot, not Hamilton's or Griffey's.

Griffey puts people in the seats. Dunn doesn't.

$13M could be much better spent, and I doubt if John Allen will allow it to be wasted on the difference between Bruce and Dunn.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you really want Jay Bruce sitting on the bench next year, or even the year aft

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Then why would you want Dunn on the team?

Hamilton is your starter in Center the next 2 years if Dunn is on the team.

Griffey is your starter in Right and he's not going anywhere the next two years.

Why would you want to pay $13M more next year for Dunn when you can get almost equal play from Bruce.

$13M is much more wisely spent.

....and to suggest that Bruce would be the 4th outfielder is a good way to ruin a Bruce's career. The Mariner's did it last year with Adam Jones, and they're doing it again this year with him.

Now, I could see Dunn playing the first half of the year with the REDS, so they could take the time to trade him, and Bruce could stay in AAA for the first half of the year playing every day, but he's going to have to start for the REDS eventually, and that means taking Dunn's spot, not Hamilton's or Griffey's.

Griffey puts people in the seats. Dunn doesn't.

$13M could be much better spent, and I doubt if John Allen will allow it to be wasted on the difference between Bruce and Dunn.
    One thing...you have Jr. and Hamilton penciled in as OF next year. What are some objective odds that both are healthy a whole year.

If it plays out perfectly, you have a good point. But, a betting man would say the 4th OF for the Reds will be very important player next year.

Re: Do you really want Jay Bruce sitting on the bench next year, or even the year aft

Well, you could always try him at 1B again.

Also, I don't think its a forgone conclusion that Griffey will be here the next two years.

And, I'm not sure you can find better value in a free agent than $13 million for Dunn.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    No he's gone after 2008, and expecting Hamilton and JR to stay healthy all next year is asking for trouble.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 08-09-2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Wrong year
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    No he's gone after 2009, and expecting Hamilton and JR to stay healthy all next year is asking for trouble.
    That's what I said. Griffey is the starter the next 2 years, 2008 and 2009. Why would you trade Griffey, when no one's going to give up much for him. and he'll be heading past Willie Mays in 2009? ...and if you've had him as a RED for that long, then why not keep him for 2010 as he heads towards #700? Griffey puts people in the stands.

Why would you have Bruce sitting on the bench with spot starts, pinch-hits, and defensive replacement and waiting for someone to get hurt? They have that in Hopper and Votto (not the defense).

I don't see Hamilton getting hurt next year. I expected it this year as it was his first full year back, but I expect him to not see the DL next year at all. A healthy Junior will still miss 25 games, but that time can be adequately subbed by Hopper, not Bruce.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

My mistake, JR is actually gone after 2008, the Reds won't pick up the 2009 option.

And really if Dunn isn't here the Reds will just go out and get a Hat/Conine OF type of guy, they certainly won't just give Bruce the job.
    Last edited by KronoRed; 08-09-2007 at 11:13 PM.
    Go Gators!

Griffey is my favorite player, but I don't think he is exclusively responsible for many ticket sales. I guess we could look at pre-Griffey numbers for proof.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Firstly, Jay Bruce won't be called up to sit on the bench. If he isn't going to be starting, he will be playing in Louisville.

Secondly, I have a good feeling Dunn or Griffey one will not be on the Reds next season. I also wouldn't be playing Hamilton in CF over Jay Bruce when that time comes that they are both in the OF.

John Allen spends none of the Reds money on players. So I have no clue what you are talking about with the whole he wont allow them to do this or that....

Or you could trade Griffey and have an outfield of Dunn/Bruce/Hamilton. Griffey's last year will be next year, so you could just trade him in the offseason.

Or is that too easy?

Hamilton
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Bruce
    Edwin
    Votto
    Gonzalez
    Ross

Winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

griffey will be a red as long as he wants to be a red. i wouldn't be shocked to see them pick up his option for 2009.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Firstly, Jay Bruce won't be called up to sit on the bench. If he isn't going to be starting, he will be playing in Louisville.

Secondly, I have a good feeling Dunn or Griffey one will not be on the Reds next season. I also wouldn't be playing Hamilton in CF over Jay Bruce when that time comes that they are both in the OF.

John Allen spends none of the Reds money on players. So I have no clue what you are talking about with the whole he wont allow them to do this or that....
    With a decision regarding $13M, John Allen has a major influence in the decision.

I'd be shocked to see the Reds pick up Griffey's option, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them work out a two- or three-year extension that incorporates the 2009 buyout as part of his lowered salary.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Or you could trade Griffey and have an outfield of Dunn/Bruce/Hamilton. Griffey's last year will be next year, so you could just trade him in the offseason.

Or is that too easy?

Hamilton
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Bruce
    Edwin
    Votto
    Gonzalez
    Ross

Winner.
    I like it, although Bruce batting cleanup already is a bit premature.

We have an option for Dunn in 2008. We have Griffey for 2008 and an option for 2009. So, we could easily have 2 open spots in the outfield after 2008. I would think Bruce would fill one of the starting outfield spots, but I am unsure who would start in the third outfield spot. I created a thread on this subject earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'd be shocked to see the Reds pick up Griffey's option, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them work out a two- or three-year extension that incorporates the 2009 buyout as part of his lowered salary.
    JR is my favortie player but I want no part of him being on the Reds past next year, he should go back to Seattle or to a team that might have an actual shot at a title.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?