Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Do you really want Jay Bruce sitting on the bench next year, or even the year after?

Re: Do you really want Jay Bruce sitting on the bench next year, or even the year aft

Not "everyone" needs the Minor League.

I think Bruce will end up being a better player than Will Clark and he only had half a season of Minor League Ball before being inserted into the Opening Day lineup against Nolan Ryan, which I attended, in 1986. Clark jacked one of of Ryan that day and finished 5th in the NL MVP the next year, the year after that, and 2nd the year after that. Clark wasn't a 4-year College Player, either. He didn't use steroids and had a normal career with it's normal Bell Curve as injuries took their toll. He pretty much kept his OPS pretty level throughout his career.

It's possible that the way Bruce is progressing, that he may be ready to be the Opening Day Starter for the REDS in 2008.

Oh, and all of Clark's half a season was at High-A Fresno. He completely skipped AA and AAA.

He was 22 in 1986, and 21 when he was finishing College and playing for Fresno.

I believe in preventing players from moving up too soon so that their careers won't be ruined, but everyone is different and Bruce may be one that will thrive early in his career.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you really want Jay Bruce sitting on the bench next year, or even the year aft

On my previous post I suggested we not pick up Dunn's option if Bruce is ready. Let me clarify: I have always suggested we try and sign Dunn to a 2-3 yr deal for about 13-14 million a year. I an not one who proposes trading Dunn under most circumstances. I would like to see Dunn on this team in the future. It is simply a question of will we be able to re-sign him, and would Bruce be a better option if the price for Dunn gets too high.

I would say the Reds must pick up Dunn's option, and if Bruce is ready next year, dump Dunn (and/or Griffey) at the deadline.

Where's Dickerson fit in the outfield mix?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I would say the Reds must pick up Dunn's option, and if Bruce is ready next year, dump Dunn (and/or Griffey) at the deadline.
    I think the problem might be that what has been offered in a trade for Dunn is not as good as two draft picks.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexRed View Post
    Where's Dickerson fit in the outfield mix?
    Backup with Norris
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Not "everyone" needs the Minor League.

I think Bruce will end up being a better player than Will Clark and he only had half a season of Minor League Ball before being inserted into the Opening Day lineup
    Clark was 22 years old by the time he made the majors.

Bruce won't be 22 years old until opening day 2009.

Clark had already been an Olympic medalist (1984), a NCAA MVP (1985 Golden Spikes award), a two-time college All-American (1984, 1985), and a veteran of the college world series before being drafted. Bruce has nowhere near the 'big stage' experience that a guy like Clark had on the day he was drafted.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Clark was 22 years old by the time he made the majors.

Bruce won't be 22 years old until opening day 2009.

Clark had already been an Olympic medalist (1984), a NCAA MVP (1985 Golden Spikes award), a two-time college All-American (1984, 1985), and a veteran of the college world series before being drafted. Bruce has nowhere near the 'big stage' experience that a guy like Clark had on the day he was drafted.
    Yeah, but at the same age Jay has faced much better competition on a regular basis.

I'm of the opinion that Jay Bruce would do fine right now in the bigs. Doesn't mean I would bring him up already though. Some players are just better than everyone else no matter their age compared to level.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Is it safe to say that Bruce is staying at 3a? He seems to have adjusted, even if the sample size is somewhat small.

I got to meet Jay at Spring training this year. I have to say he seems like a very down to earth person. I think he understands that he needs to make adjustments at each level. I see him making an immediate contribution after his callup, which I hope is next year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I got to meet Jay at Spring training this year. I have to say he seems like a very down to earth person.
    Everyone I have ever talked to that has met him, myself included, seems to have that exact opinion of him.

Turn Off Ads?