Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you expect we will see Cueto and Bailey in Cincinnati?

When do you expect we will see Cueto and Bailey in Cincinnati?

I bring this up because Bailey and Cueto are in AAA. I would never have expected to see either in Cincinnati before 2009 until this year, but I think a rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Bailey and Cueto would be very good for the Reds if they are ready. I am sure we will hear many people call for them in 2008, but I would have both of them spend 2008 in AAA unless they prove they are ready, and have them start 2009 in the Reds rotation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When do you expect we will see Cueto and Bailey in Cincinnati?

We've got a desperate GM and ownership. That scares the hell out of me. After watching Wayne make such a moronic decision to bring up Homer already I'm even more scared.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

When will we see them? Bailey in April 2008 at the latest. Cueto, July 2008 at the latest. This of course is barring any injuries.

If Bailey is healthy again I want to see him up in the bigs pronto. I know a lot of people think that he still has stuff to work out but he has been damn good in 2 of his starts. He has also taken his lumps here at the big league level but I see no problem with him up in the majors pitching.

I think Cueto will be given the same kind of shot Bailey had this past spring. I think if the reds think Cueto and Bailey are ready to go at the start of next season you may see some wheeling and dealing with Arroyo. Just a hunch.

We'll see them far too soon because we root for a franchise that never learns.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    We'll see them far too soon because we root for a franchise that never learns.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Huh?
    Promoting a prospect before they are clearly ready.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Promoting a prospect before they are clearly ready.
    Or maybe they just had prospects who werent good enough? Who was the Reds last prospect that they promoted before they were ready before Bailey, who I am unsure wasn't ready, but pitching through a groin injury?

I don't know Doug. I was just taking a stab at what M2 might have meant.

If Bailey and Cueto turn out to be as good as most Scouts think then we will have some kind of starting pitching in 09 and 10. Maybe then the bullpen will have turned around a little.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I don't know Doug. I was just taking a stab at what M2 might have meant.
    And you were 100% correct.

We've already seen Bailey promoted far too soon. We've seen Cueto promoted two levels just this season alone, spending just a little over a month in AA.

It's always the same with the Reds. If the last start was good then the kid has mastered the level. This franchise loves pitchers to death.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    If Bailey and Cueto turn out to be as good as most Scouts think then we will have some kind of starting pitching in 09 and 10. Maybe then the bullpen will have turned around a little.
    That's a much more sober perspective. I expect the Reds to push those kids into the majors in '08 at age 22 and then it will boil down to whether each one can survive physically and mentally despite the odds being stacked against him.

And you were 100% correct.

We've already seen Bailey promoted far too soon. We've seen Cueto promoted two levels just this season alone, spending just a little over a month in AA.

It's always the same with the Reds. If the last start was good then the kid has mastered the level. This franchise loves pitchers to death.
    m2, do you suggest we move pitchers 1 level at a time? I don't understand what you are talking about. Promoting players quickly is not some plan that destroys everyone. Every player is different. The Reds have promoted the guys that succeed. Lets not forget that Cueto started 26 games in Sarasota this and last season. He was promoted and spent minimal time in Chattanooga yes, but he also dominated while there. If he had began the season in Chattanooga this year and started 12 games there and performed exactly the same would it have been enough time, or would you have had him spend the entire year there?

What is your take on Joba Chamberlain of the Yankees who went from A+ to the Yankees this season?

I don't get the overpromotion thing if guys are being lights out.

That's a much more sober perspective. I expect the Reds to push those kids into the majors in '08 at age 22 and then it will boil down to whether each one can survive physically and mentally despite the odds being stacked against him.
    I don't think the odds are against pitcher in the majors at age 22 if they are good pitchers. There are TONS and TONS of guys at age 22 who performed just fine at the MLB level.

Bailey in September, and Cueto in September of 2008 or earlier if there's a rash of injuries and ineffectiveness next year.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?