Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Marty signs three-year contract extension

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Ditto.

IMO - it is last contract he signs.
    Wouldn't surprise me...

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Marty has indicated he would eventually like to move into a situation where he only broadcasts home games, as Vin Scully apparently does, if the Reds would agree to it.
    He's also indicated he would have no problem eventually assuming a secondary role to Thom.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Marty hasn't earned to decide when he wants to call it a career with the Reds?

I certainly think he has.
    I don't think anyone in any profession should ever have that right, I think it's silly.
    Go Gators!

As for this deal big surprise, I don't think Marty will ever retire
    Go Gators!

Not only the team needs to be rebuilt but so does the broadcasting team.

I would have hoped that, if Castellini were serious about building a winner and putting his own mark on the Reds storied history he would also change the voice of the Reds. It's time to stop living in the past and wanting the Reds to be The Big Red Machine. That goes for the team, Marty and the fans.

Ought-Eight should have been about a new approach, a new manager and a new face/voice commentating to the fans. It appears that we've already missed the opportunity on one of those three----I'm not encouraged on the other two.

Rem

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Not only the team needs to be rebuilt but so does the broadcasting team.

I would have hoped that, if Castellini were serious about building a winner and putting his own mark on the Reds storied history he would also change the voice of the Reds. It's time to stop living in the past and wanting the Reds to be The Big Red Machine. That goes for the team, Marty and the fans.

Ought-Eight should have been about a new approach, a new manager and a new face/voice commentating to the fans. It appears that we've already missed the opportunity on one of those three----I'm not encouraged on the other two.

Rem

Thom and Jeff are new.

If the team is better, the broadcasters reflect it...they don't create the reality, they reflect it.

The team stinks, and they're frustrated just like we are.

Thom and Jeff are new.

If the team is better, the broadcasters reflect it...they don't create the reality, they reflect it.

I'm sure they are. I understand that but I think that the average fan still considers Marty the 'announcer' for the Reds and the rest of the broadcast team as simply backup. And, truthfully, I think it's been that way since Joe left so it's not all Marty's fault in that regard. But, if you're gonna reshape this team you really need to get Marty out of there because there is no way that Marty will be objective or fail to denigrate the team on the air.

I have Extra Innings and so I get all of my broadcasts of the Reds from TV. I would extend my thoughts on replacing the broadcast team to Welsh and Grand as well. I've heard Thom on the TV from time to time (he's on tonight) and I've not been impressed. I wasn't impressed with him at Arizona either. He's pretty mundane if you ask me and, with all due respect, he doesn't call a game as well as his dad (when his dad bothers to call one anymore).

As for Jeff Brantley I think I've only heard him once or twice so I don't really have an opinion on him.

Rem

Thom and Jeff are new.

The problem is the broadcasters led by Marty are usualy way off target when they vent thier frustrations.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    While I may be in the minority, I'm certainly happy to see this done.
    You're not in the minority, or Castellini wouldn't have done this.

Marty frustrates me at times, but he's one of the biggest reasons I became a hardcore Reds fan. Maybe he should attend a grumpiness-management program.

A funny thing about Marty this year is how he turned on Kyle Lohse. It used to drive me crazy last year when he'd do his on-the-air lobbying act for the Reds to bring him back. This year, when he inevitably regressed to the mean, he ripped him mercilessly.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

As Ron pretty much noted, Marty Brennaman's announcing is a reflection of the game only as a funhouse mirror distortion of what's really there. At minimum, Brennaman distorts reality to the point of absurdity. At his worst, he calls a game only taking place in his own mind. That's "reality creation" in a nutshell and his infatuation with negatively framing young players runs contrary to the needs of the near-future Reds; who'll need to rely on a good number of young players in order to succeed.

Great move for Marty Brennaman. Poor move for the Reds.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    At minimum, Brennaman distorts reality to the point of absurdity. At his worst, he calls a game only taking place in his own mind. That's "reality creation" in a nutshell and his infatuation with negatively framing young players runs contrary to the needs of the near-future Reds; who'll need to rely on a good number of young players in order to succeed.

Great move for Marty Brennaman. Poor move for the Reds.
    I agree. When does football season start?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I think Marty's every bit as good at his job as Norris Hopper is at his.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

If they don't pick up Dunn's option, it won't because of Marty's contract
    Matt, I do realize this.

It's just the irony of it all.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I also want it to be known that I love Marty. Like many here, I grew up with that voice calling games for my beloved team. I have met Marty and was lucky enough to have a drink with him and talk Reds baseball. He is a great guy and I'm happy he's back for three more years.

I just wish he'd take it easy on some of our guys. That and I don't agree with many of his opinions on things lately. He's still a Hall of Famer and I wouldn't take anything away from him. I am genuinely proud that he's "our" anouncer and only hope we can put all of this losing crap behind us so we can truly enjoy Marty for what he is and that is one of the best in the business (when he's not cranky).

Bravo Marty! We got the best announcer in the game for another 3 years at least!
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Turn Off Ads?