Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Marty signs three-year contract extension

Re: Marty signs three-year contract extension

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Personally, I've always liked the tenor of his voice. He's got what they call 'great pipes', to me at least. And, when he sticks to the game he gives an accurate description of the action on the field that you can easily follow. He repeats the score, current outs, men on base, pitch count and so on enough that you know what's going on without it becoming overly repetative. He can fill in with enough biographical information as to give some insite to the player without having to know he has six toes on his left foot. He describes the action away from the play (like the bullpen or dugout) when it's relevant. He modulates his voice well---he can be very pleasant to listen to.

The above was Marty in the '70's and maybe the '80's. Somewhere though he decided golf jokes, tomato plants, the bannana phone and asides to his buddies were more important than calling the game. He turned mean and vicious and decided he was the voice of reason in the night that was the only true vision. He decided he was the show and the game was a sidelight. Other than that....

Rem
    Good post and right on the mark.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Marty is not IN the baseball hall of fame.
    Did you minor or major in semantics?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Hey, you can always look forward to that big OSU-UM game each November.

Whoops. Nevermind.
    And this has what to do with the Reds?
    Go Gators!

Congrats Marty. Best man in the business, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I'm shocked at the amount of Reds fans who criticize Marty for being critical.
    IMHO, most (including myself) do not have a problem with Marty being critical... it's Marty often being wrong and dispelling misinformation that most take issue with.

He also has a tendency to consistently rag on players he dislikes and to highly praise those he likes, whether or not either is warranted.

In addition, he brings his personal vendettas to the microphone, one that comes to mind right away is Jim Bowden... even when Jim Bowden isn't mentioned.

And he's made it clear on many occasions that he doesn't understand some of the finer points of baseball. After all these years, he really should. And until he does, perhaps he shouldn't comment at all.

All things combined, he's become harder and harder to enjoy, which is why I don't even bother unless there's no alternative. Oh yes, he can still call a great game when he feels like it, but apparently he isn't moved to do that much anymore.

His negatives far outweigh his postives.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 08-12-2007 at 11:53 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Did you minor or major in semantics?
    Just tellin' like it is. Thats what the folks want, right?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Just tellin' like it is. Thats what the folks want, right?
    Fans don't want to hear about OPS for six innings. The casual fan loves Marty and rightfully so. They have a better perspective on the GAME than the 24/7 Redszone poster.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Fans don't want to hear about OPS for six innings. The casual fan loves Marty and rightfully so. They have a better perspective on the GAME than the 24/7 Redszone poster.
    That's all fine, but it's when Marty says things like Hopper is better than Dunn (as an example) that just show a lack of knowledge.

He doesn't need to yap about stats for the entire game, but it would be nice if Marty had a better grasp on the game so that he could give more informed opinions.

Not after listening to Marty Brennaman. Most of the time what the "casual fan" gets is a misrepresentation of reality.

That is, when Marty actually talks about the game...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You don't have to give me a Calculus lesson, but at the same time, don't go trying to pass off 2+2 as being 5 either.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

If Marty is being negative because the Reds have stunk for 7 years, why doesn't he rail on the real reasons for it? He can't possibly believe Adam Dunn and Edwin Encarnacion are the primary reasons the Reds have been bad for the last 7 years.

I know the answer to that question so I guess it's a rhetorical one. He can't hammer the front office mercilessly like he does the players because then he'd really be on the hot seat. Being overly critical of the front offices for putting together such crummy pitching staffs probably wouldn't be a wise career move. It's easier and safer to rip the player's when they strikeout.

I was at the ballgame on Friday night when they announced Marty's extension.

I was a little surprised by the lack of enthusiasm. There was a general round of applause and cheer, a few people stood and clapped, but I certainly wouldn't have called it rousing. More like lukewarm.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I was a little surprised by the lack of enthusiasm. There was a general round of applause and cheer, a few people stood and clapped, but I certainly wouldn't have called it rousing. More like lukewarm.
    I thought Marty would have brainwashed them all by now.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

When I was at Saturday's game, given the announcement of Marty's extension, I noticed something ironic. One of the changeable ads next to the scoreboard was stuck between an ad for WLW that said "Brennamania" in huge letters and an ad for a temporary employment agency. Both ads were readable and visible.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You don't have to give me a Calculus lesson, but at the same time, don't go trying to pass off 2+2 as being 5 either.

The casual fan would enjoy hearing about how productive a player Adam Dunn is instead of what a drag he is on our offense. You don't have to consistently disparage one of the team's best players, while lauding some of it's worst (Hopper, Castro) to please the casual fans.

If Marty decided that strikeouts weren't the worst thing in the world, the casual fan wouldn't lash out in disagreement. He has the opportunity to educate while he entertains and is instead slipping in to sports talk radio quality analysis.

IMHO, Marty needs an analyst who can do the big scale stuff. A guy like Brantley, or Joe Morgan, is great for the "what the player is thinking" sort of commentary. But we could use somebody who can provide reasonable big picture analysis; an ex-player usually is not good for this type of macro thinking. That vacuum instead gets filled by Marty's cynicism and Brantley's ego.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?