Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marty signs three-year contract extension

Re: Marty signs three-year contract extension

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Bravo Marty! We got the best announcer in the game for another 3 years at least!
    You're deluding yourself. And it's not about the time frame.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    You're not in the minority, or Castellini wouldn't have done this.
    I agree, but also I wonder if Marty would still be here if Linder was running the show. Its no secret that Uncle Carl wanted Marty out -- Steve Stewart was brought in to be his eventual replacement. I wonder if even Carl would've blinked at getting into a urinating match with Marty.

Oh well -- no win situation for Casty here. Marty is the vox populi for Reds fans. Ditching him would be tough and probably would only create a negative backlash in the fanbase and the media.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    While I may be in the minority, I'm certainly happy to see this done.
    Me too. As meligned as Marty is, he's Reds on Radio to me. Along with Joe Nuxhall. I'm a lifer.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I don't think anyone in any profession should ever have that right, I think it's silly.
    Wait...you don't think anybody should have the ability to decide when they retire?

Huh? Employees are beholden to the employer to tell them when they are alowed to retire ?

Please tell me I am misunderstanding your statement.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-11-2007 at 05:43 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Oh well -- no win situation for Casty here. Marty is the vox populi for Reds fans. Ditching him would be tough and probably would only create a negative backlash in the fanbase and the media.
    Casty may think it is better to have the negative backlash from the fanbase and media directed at Reds players rather than against him. Great. Marty can continue his crusade against any Reds player who hasn't kissed his rear end and who doesn't fit his ideal of a hustling player of limited talent who makes quality outs and knows how to play the game.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Wait...you don't think anybody should have the ability to decide when they retire?

Huh? Employees are beholden to the employer to tell them when they are alowed to retire ?

Please tell me I am misunderstanding your statement.
    Krono is absolutely correct. If you are a professional, and you do not perform up to standards, you do not necessarily get to decide when you retire.
    If I start doing a lousy job representing my clients, it will not matter all that much how good a job I did for them back in 1986.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

There goes three more years where I won't be tuning into the Reds broadcasts. Oh well. I'm sure I'll find something else to occupy my time.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I've said it before, but the only thing that bothers me about Marty is when he starts telling stories that have nothing to do with baseball, or the Reds.

As far as his "grumpiness" goes, I think Marty is just as frustrated with the state of the ballclub as we the fans are. He is just one of those guys that takes it a little to hard sometimes. He happens to be in a position to have millions of fans hearing that frustration. Winning cures a lot, and I really think if this team was closer to the playoffs that Marty wouldn't be griping as bad about some of the little things. One thing I do wish is that he would focus his frustration on some other things rather than Adam Dunn. I mean I would not have a problem if he started in on guys like Gary Majewski. There is no reason that guy should be playing professional baseball, and I would have no problem with Marty venting his frustration on players like that.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    There goes three more years where I won't be tuning into the Reds broadcasts. Oh well. I'm sure I'll find something else to occupy my time.
    I bought XM last year so I could listen to Reds games without being tied to a computer. I stopped listening early this year having grown tired of the broadcasts (though I still love XM and listen to other teams on a regular basis).

Last night, I tuned in again and the first thing I hear is "The home run is the most over rated stat in baseball" and some refence that the the Padres are in first as evidence of that. (No mention of the superior pitching they have). I flipped the channel and won't be back for a while I am sure.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Krono is absolutely correct. If you are a professional, and you do not perform up to standards, you do not necessarily get to decide when you retire.
    If I start doing a lousy job representing my clients, it will not matter all that much how good a job I did for them back in 1986.
    Poppycock.

Sure, the empolyer might not be willing to accomidate an employees wishes for when or the process of how they retire, when they aren't happy with the employees performance. They are under no burden to accomidate him/her. If they say no to a request then the employee has to make some choices.

But to say that no employee in any profession gets a say so in deciding when/how they'd like to quit working? They can decide to quit tomorow (within the limitations of the contract, their financial situation, etc). So what? The employee has to sit around and wait for the employer to say they can stop working now. And to suggest the employee doesn't have the right to even suggest it? Pure crap. As if none of you people have never asked your employers for leeway, a special perk or negotiatied yourself a pay raise. You aren't entitled to what you ask for, but you damn well have the ability to at least ask for it.

Look, people here dispise Marty for a myrid of reasons. I get that. But to say the man has no ability to ask him employer to work out an arragement that is suitable to both of them is petty spite. Pure and simple. Sorry to be so harsh but the Marty hate has run amok.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-11-2007 at 10:36 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Who the hell said that?

This just means at least three more years without baseball on the radio. Too bad, I really miss it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    As for Jeff Brantley I think I've only heard him once or twice so I don't really have an opinion on him.

Brantley has almost put me to sleep when I was driving home from work and he was doing the solo thing. He was dry, he wasnt informative and didnt detail the battery or who was at bat through an entire inning. It was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Poppycock.

Poppycock?

That even sounds like something Marty would say.

Well, then, to your poppycock, I'll throw in a fiddle-faddle.

Marty blasts some Reds players with more sarcasm and venom than any announcer I've ever heard... EVER.

I was only half kidding on a different thread when I suggested that he creates a hostile work environment for certain Reds employees.

He thinks he's the story... Mr. "Tell it like it is".

He reminds me of the announcer in "Angels in the outfield" these days.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

^^^

The guy who's organization Marty lambasts nightly gives him a 3 year deal. Nice.

The above comments speak to my thoughts as well. Marty has just been given a free pass to be as negative and snarky as he likes. It seems like he answers to no one.

Unfortunately...Jeff Brantley has jumped off the analysis wagon he came in on and on to the snarkmobile that Marty's drivng.

Hopefully they've given him enough to be a shirt.
    Last edited by VR; 08-11-2007 at 11:41 AM.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Last night, I tuned in again and the first thing I hear is "The home run is the most over rated stat in baseball"
    Once again, Marty is wrong. The most overrated stat in baseball is the one conferred upon certain 'HOF' announcers.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?