Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marty signs three-year contract extension

Re: Marty signs three-year contract extension

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    There goes three more years where I won't be tuning into the Reds broadcasts. Oh well. I'm sure I'll find something else to occupy my time.
    Yep, the only problem is when the Cubs are playing the Reds and there is no TV then it's either Santo or Marty... oh well... that's only a game or two a year I'll be assured of missing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ltlabner, you missed what I was saying, I'm not saying Marty has to work for the Reds until they want him gone, I'm saying he (and pretty much everyone else in every profession) should never have the right to tell their employee "you can never fire me, I'll leave when I want"

I heard the same thing said about Barry Larkin, the he earned the right to retire and the Reds were obligated to keep him on the roster until he wanted out, poppycock, at anytime if either side wants the employment over with it should be over with, nobody should be obligated to keep someone else around or to say around.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Krono is absolutely correct. If you are a professional, and you do not perform up to standards, you do not necessarily get to decide when you retire.
    If I start doing a lousy job representing my clients, it will not matter all that much how good a job I did for them back in 1986.
    Thanks RB
    Go Gators!

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Poppycock?

That even sounds like something Marty would say.

Well, then, to your poppycock, I'll throw in a fiddle-faddle.

I nearly spit coffee across the room (had to miss the keyboard and monitok, you know). Great line.

In all seriousness, Marty can get on your nerves. But so can other announcers.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Ltlabner, you missed what I was saying, I'm not saying Marty has to work for the Reds until they want him gone, I'm saying he (and pretty much everyone else in every profession) should never have the right to tell their employee "you can never fire me, I'll leave when I want"
    That's not what is happening...his contract was up at the end of this year, and they extended it. Both sides had to make a decision....the Reds wanted to keep him, and Marty wanted to stay...

There's nothing more to that. If they didn't want him back, they wouldn't have extended his contract, and there wouldn't be anything he could do about it.

There's probably always going to be (barring extenuating circumstances) a new contract available to Marty as long as he wants to keep working - and I think that's the way it should be.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-11-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I agree, but also I wonder if Marty would still be here if Linder was running the show. Its no secret that Uncle Carl wanted Marty out -- Steve Stewart was brought in to be his eventual replacement. I wonder if even Carl would've blinked at getting into a urinating match with Marty.
    I don't recall seeing anything to the effect that Carl wanted Marty out...maybe he did, maybe I missed it (or just don't remember)...highly possible.

They basically pushed Joe out first, but let him do a very, VERY small handful of games.....they didn't win that battle either....Joe's doing more games now under new ownership, but still a small amount...and no travel.

Cutting back his workload has allowed him to stay rested, and he sounds better on the air because of it.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-11-2007 at 01:57 PM.

Never said that was happening Matt.
    Go Gators!

Maybe I'm sentimental, but I think it would be a travesty if the Reds canned Marty. He's been the voice of the team for a long time now and is a part of the culture of Cincinnati and the Reds. But....

I personally don't like listening anymore partly because of Marty's bitter tone but more his apparent loss of any love for his job. Marty used to be the best (arguably) and still can call a play in an exciting and informative manner. Though his bitter and one sided criticisms are annoying, I can ignore these if they were all that was wrong. Though I disagree on many topics, Marty isn't always wrong.

I get more turned off by the message he sends that makes it seem like he just doesn't want to be there. He makes it clear that he doesn't like Doubleheaders, he hates slow working pitchers (don't we all), and seems to really dislike extra innings. The message in general isn't "lets enjoy the ball game" as much as "lets get this over with quickly so I can get the heck out of here." I get the sense the he would rather be anywhere other than calling the game and that he's doing us all a favor by doing it. For me, it puts a damper on listening. There always seems to be some undercurrent of resentment in Marty that he actually has to endure the job as opposed to enjoying it all. He seems to be so irritated by actually having to be at the park and announcing the game, I wonder why he would re-up. We criticize players for hanging on simply for the paycheck and that is what it seems that Marty is doing, because I get no sense of joy from him while listening.

As I stated at the beginning of this post, it would be a travesty if Marty were canned, but Marty should probably realize that its time for him to put on a better face or retire with the fanfare that he deserves. Unfortunately for us all who feel this way, he seems to have the ability to call the shots and act like he wants to. It makes listening to the Reds broadcast (which should be the option of choice for a hard core fan IMO) the option of last resort for me. I watch the game with no sound, turn off my AM radio and listen to XM and hope for out of town announcers when the Reds are on the road and then take Marty when no other option exists.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I personally don't like listening anymore partly because of Marty's bitter tone but more his apparent loss of any love for his job. Marty used to be the best (arguably) and still can call a play in an exciting and informative manner. Though his bitter and one sided criticisms are annoying, I can ignore these if they were all that was wrong. Though I disagree on many topics, Marty isn't always wrong.
    If I had to call the action on this inept bunch for 7 consecutive years, I'd be bitter and not like my job either. In fact, some days I don't even want to discuss the Reds and the pitiful team the ownership (no matter who it is) puts on the field. I'm grouchy and not a good fan these days. I get upset when I'm told we will contend and then see them try to band-aid everything with cheap labor and methods that really make me wonder if they do know more about baseball than I do.

Marty, the fan base, and the press are really tired of all of this. That's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    If I had to call the action on this inept bunch for 7 consecutive years, I'd be bitter and not like my job either. In fact, some days I don't even want to discuss the Reds and the pitiful team the ownership (no matter who it is) puts on the field. I'm grouchy and not a good fan these days. I get upset when I'm told we will contend and then see them try to band-aid everything with cheap labor and methods that really make me wonder if they do know more about baseball than I do.

Marty, the fan base, and the press are really tired of all of this. That's the problem.
    Agreed. But its the announcers job to "entertain and inform" the listeners, not send messages that the team isn't worth the fan's time.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agreed. But its the announcers job to "entertain and inform" the listeners, not send messages that the team isn't worth the fan's time.
    I suppose you're right, but I couldn't do it. I'd have to lie to them. If you listen closely, Chris Welsh is disgusted. Thom is disgusted, Brantley is outraged. Even Joe was getting his dingers the other night. You cannot camoflague what is going on in this franchise. It's simply horrible. And everyone, unless they continue to put a paper bag over their heads and put plugs in their ears knows it.

Why sugarcoat it? It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I suppose you're right, but I couldn't do it. I'd have to lie to them. If you listen closely, Chris Welsh is disgusted. Thom is disgusted, Brantley is outraged. Even Joe was getting his dingers the other night. You cannot camoflague what is going on in this franchise. It's simply horrible. And everyone, unless they continue to put a paper bag over their heads and put plugs in their ears knows it.

Why sugarcoat it? It is what it is.

You misunderstand (I'm probably not being clear). I don't mind any of them being disgusted at the team's play (although the targets of his wrath are not always on the mark IMO). I mind the general feeling that Marty is doing us a favor by calling the game for us. If his message was "I want them to play better" that would be ok by me. The message I get is "I don't really want to be here."
    Last edited by mth123; 08-11-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Good, hope he is here for a long time.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

For those complaining about Marty, have you listened to other broadcasters for other teams not named Scully? Some are better than others, but I can tell you from hearing many broadcasters (both on tv and radio) that the Reds have a pretty superior staff to listen to. Many of those guys are unbearable to listen to.

Marty was a terrific announcer in his prime, and can still be great when he wants to be.
    I wonder if Marty was not spolied by first becoming the Reds announcer in 1974, when the Big Red Machine was about to reach its peak. The Reds of 1975-76 were not merely the greatest team in NL history. They were, at least with regard to the starting eight, almost a fundamentally perfect team. They always took the extra base, they stole bases with an 80% success rate, they worked the count and drew numerous walks, they hit for average and hit for power, they fielded their positions with precision and style (featuring Gold Glovers up the middle), and they hustled with a quartet of leaders who drove everyone else around them.
    Marty starting out as the announcer of the Big Red Machine was like a kid being given a Ferrari as his first car at age 16. Everything after that was a letdown.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?