Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marty signs three-year contract extension

Re: Marty signs three-year contract extension

I'm wondering in 2009 if the contract reads 'only home games'.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    For those complaining about Marty, have you listened to other broadcasters for other teams not named Scully? Some are better than others, but I can tell you from hearing many broadcasters (both on tv and radio) that the Reds have a pretty superior staff to listen to. Many of those guys are unbearable to listen to.
    Yeah I have, for over 25 years.

Have you?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Ltlabner, you missed what I was saying, I'm not saying Marty has to work for the Reds until they want him gone, I'm saying he (and pretty much everyone else in every profession) should never have the right to tell their employee "you can never fire me, I'll leave when I want" .
    Ok good. As I said in my first post, I hoped I was misundersanding you.

And in my 2nd post responding to....Redsbarron maybe, I agree that an employee can request reduced work hours leading up to retirement or try to negotiate a deal to work a certian amount of years until retiring but that the employer is under no requirement to acquess to that request.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yeah I have, for over 25 years.

Have you?
    Not 25 years, but I've heard enough of the other broadcasters to know that many of them are bad, boring and don't call very interesting games. Whether you like the way many of the Reds broadcasters criticize or not, they call far more interesting games than the average broadcasters.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 08-11-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Not 25 years, but I've heard enough of the other broadcasters to know that many of that are bad, boring and don't call very interesting games. Whether you like the way many of the Reds broadcasters criticize or not, they call far more interesting games than the average broadcasters.
    What's with the plural?

I thought this was about Marty?

A guy who will often let pitches and outs sneak by without mention.

If that's "calling a game" then give me some of those boring guys out there on the airwaves.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    What's with the plural?

I thought this was about Marty?

A guy who will often let pitches and outs sneak by without mention.

If that's "calling a game" then give me some of those boring guys out there on the airwaves.
    A mistake maybe?

I'm not trying to convert Marty haters to Marty lovers. I just said after listening to many broadcasts, I think Marty (as well as the other Reds broadcasters) call(s) a much more interesting game than most of the other broadcasters around the league. That's my opinion. Listen to the non-Reds feeds of the games if you want. Makes no difference to me.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 08-11-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm shocked at the amount of Reds fans who criticize Marty for being critical. He is a Reds fan at heart. Some might call that unprofessional. I love it. Hall of Fame voters agree.

Imagine how some of us would sound if we were being taped while watching our Reds fall apart and/or do stupid things at key moments. Yeah, we would come off as highly critical too in the heat of the moment. Marty doesn't have time to cool down, collect his thoughts and then post them on the internet. He is shooting from the hip, telling us exactly how he feels and that is what makes him great.

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    There goes three more years where I won't be tuning into the Reds broadcasts. Oh well. I'm sure I'll find something else to occupy my time.
    LOL. And I tell you what, if the Reds start signing future Hall of Fame players, I am REALLY going to be upset. Too funny.

That damn Marty. How dare he rip a team that hasn't been in the playoffs since 1995. He is clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I agree, but also I wonder if Marty would still be here if Linder was running the show. Its no secret that Uncle Carl wanted Marty out -- Steve Stewart was brought in to be his eventual replacement. I wonder if even Carl would've blinked at getting into a urinating match with Marty.

Oh well -- no win situation for Casty here. Marty is the vox populi for Reds fans. Ditching him would be tough and probably would only create a negative backlash in the fanbase and the media.
    It's no secret that Uncle Carl wanted Marty out?

Wait... what?

Are we just making stuff up now? Stewart was brought here because the incompetent John Allen thought Joe was washed up.

Please provide links, quotes, or anything else to prove this ridiculous comment that you made.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Marty was a terrific announcer in his prime, and can still be great when he wants to be.
    I wonder if Marty was not spolied by first becoming the Reds announcer in 1974, when the Big Red Machine was about to reach its peak. The Reds of 1975-76 were not merely the greatest team in NL history. They were, at least with regard to the starting eight, almost a fundamentally perfect team. They always took the extra base, they stole bases with an 80% success rate, they worked the count and drew numerous walks, they hit for average and hit for power, they fielded their positions with precision and style (featuring Gold Glovers up the middle), and they hustled with a quartet of leaders who drove everyone else around them.
    Marty starting out as the announcer of the Big Red Machine was like a kid being given a Ferrari as his first car at age 16. Everything after that was a letdown.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Who the hell said that?

This just means at least three more years without baseball on the radio. Too bad, I really miss it.
    Hey, you can always look forward to that big OSU-UM game each November.

Whoops. Nevermind.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It's no secret that Uncle Carl wanted Marty out?

Wait... what?

Are we just making stuff up now? Stewart was brought here because the incompetent John Allen thought Joe was washed up.

Please provide links, quotes, or anything else to prove this ridiculous comment that you made.
    Its my understanding, talking with several people who had their finger on the pulse of things a couple of years back, that Steve Stewart was brought to the Reds radio team initially as Joe's replacement, to get him some exposure with the fans. The thinking was that once the fans got used to Steve, they would push him over to the regular PBP chair and bring someone else in (presumably an ex-Red) to do color.

That was my information -- you can choose to believe it, or not. Linder and Allen didn't appreciate the disloyalty to the product that Marty showed -- especially some of the direct criticism to the ownership that occurred on game and non-game broadcasts. For that matter, Linder and Allen were usually pretty grumpy about 700 WLW's "candor" regarding the product, though thats nothing new for sports owners in this town.

Its quite irrelevant, at this point, though.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Hall of Fame voters agree.
    Marty is not IN the baseball hall of fame.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I wonder, aside from his tenure, what makes Marty worthy of the accolades he receives? Does he turn a phrase particularly well? Does ht have great insight? Maybe I don't just see his genius, but I've never been particularly impressed. What am I missing?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I wonder, aside from his tenure, what makes Marty worthy of the accolades he receives? Does he turn a phrase particularly well? Does ht have great insight? Maybe I don't just see his genius, but I've never been particularly impressed. What am I missing?
    Personally, I've always liked the tenor of his voice. He's got what they call 'great pipes', to me at least. And, when he sticks to the game he gives an accurate description of the action on the field that you can easily follow. He repeats the score, current outs, men on base, pitch count and so on enough that you know what's going on without it becoming overly repetative. He can fill in with enough biographical information as to give some insite to the player without having to know he has six toes on his left foot. He describes the action away from the play (like the bullpen or dugout) when it's relevant. He modulates his voice well---he can be very pleasant to listen to.

The above was Marty in the '70's and maybe the '80's. Somewhere though he decided golf jokes, tomato plants, the bannana phone and asides to his buddies were more important than calling the game. He turned mean and vicious and decided he was the voice of reason in the night that was the only true vision. He decided he was the show and the game was a sidelight. Other than that....

Rem

Turn Off Ads?