Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Bray up...Matt Belisle down

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Bill Bray up...Matt Belisle down

TRANSACTIONS: Prior to this afternoon's game the Reds optioned to Louisville RHP Matt Belisle and recalled from Louisville LHP Bill Bray (#45)...in last night's 11-inning, 12-7 loss vs SD the Reds used every pitcher in the bullpen...with Mon's off day, the Reds won't need a fifth starter until 8/18

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bill Bray up...Matt Belisle down

Who will start in his place? Santos?

Something had to be done with Belisle. He just hasn't put it together and he's had a lot of chances this year (I believe he's given up the 2nd most HRs of any starting pitcher). I would've preferred seeing him go to the bullpen (which over a long period of time is a place I think he could be effective), but hard to fault this move.

Man Pills

Belisle has his uses, but has been reliably awful for some time now.

Bray returns, we will never lose again
    Go Gators!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Guardado and Bray are back....now we see what a mad genius Wayne Krivsky really is

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Belisle has his uses, but has been reliably awful for some time now.
    So has a bunch of other guys out there, I'd rather keep seeing Belisle
    Go Gators!

Interesting move but not one to complain much about. Glad to see Bray up and I want to see him pitching in Cincy until he completely fails. Hopefully he doesn't fail and becomes a reliable option in the pen for the next few years.

As for Belisle, the Reds pretty much know what they have by now and know that he's an ok (as in it could be a lot worse) fallback option in the 4 or 5 spot if no one better emerges. The Reds seem to be long on fallback options and short on guys emerging these days. I'm sure that options had something to do with this.

I still hold out hope that over the next few days that Stanton and his 2008 albatross deal can be moved to a desperate contender to make a roster spot for the eventual recall of a starter. Atlanta could be an option with Dotel now out.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

So we don't have a fifth starter right now?

Merely more roster jockeying by Wayne, Matt will be back up when he is eligible.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Wow. Before it was Harang, Arroyo, pray for rain or an OK Belisle. Now it is AH, BA, and definitely pray for rain. Swell.

I do like Bray being up though. A pen next year of...

Bray
    Coot
    Burton
    Salmon
    Stormy
    McBeth
    Stanton/Maj/Coffey/Belisle (long man)/Santos (long)/Gosling (Loogy?)

That isn't too bad is it?

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Wow. Before it was Harang, Arroyo, pray for rain or an OK Belisle. Now it is AH, BA, and definitely pray for rain. Swell.

I do like Bray being up though. A pen next year of...

Bray
    Coot
    Burton
    Salmon
    Stormy
    McBeth
    Stanton/Maj/Coffey/Belisle (long man)/Santos (long)/Gosling (Loogy?)

That isn't too bad is it?
    Define "too".

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

This better be a short term move.

For all of Belisle's faults, he is still easily the Reds' 3rd best option right now. It's not close. He's a decent back of the rotation option IMO, and just needs more time. If the Reds are expecting better results out of Dumatrait and the rest, then they are not going to be very happy.

Also I hope a switch to the bullpen is not being thought about. That only makes sense if you have 3-4 better options ready to step in. As it stands, the Reds don't have the starting pitching to not give him a longer chance.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 08-11-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    This better be a short term move.

For all of Belisle's faults, he is still easily the Reds' 3rd best option right now. It's not close. He's a decent back of the rotation option IMO, and just needs more time. If the Reds are expecting better results out of Dumatrait and the rest, then they are not going to be very happy.
    I don't disagree that Belisle's nowhere near the worst pitcher on the staff. Consider that, though: he's bad, yet he's the third best pitcher on the staff.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Belisle has a DIPS ERA of 4.58.

That's about average for a #3 starter, and certainly better than what any of our other candidates will do.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don't disagree that Belisle's nowhere near the worst pitcher on the staff. Consider that, though: he's bad, yet he's the third best pitcher on the staff.
    Of course. Belisle is a pretty poor choice as any team's 3rd starter. Still, IMO he's pitched far better than his numbers indicate, and considering the team's defense and park, it's easy to see how that can happen.

I'm not saying he's Cy Young. But he is pretty young, cheap, and half way decent. That's an attractive package to a small market team like the Reds. He's a guy I'd like to see in the 4/5th slot in the rotation for the next 2-3 seasons.

If they could find better pitchers I would have no problem with switching Belisle's roles and sending him down, but there are no better options. The Reds need to know that in GABP, with an awful defense, that pitchers numbers are going to get ugly sometimes. Given time, I think Belisle would show people that he can stick at the back of the rotation. The Reds don't have the starting options to dick around with Belisle.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 08-11-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Turn Off Ads?