Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Keppinger's AAA numbers this year

Keppinger's AAA numbers this year

Anyone have them? I heard he hit .350 at Louisville, but I know nothings of his stats at Louisville. It might be interesting to compare his time at Louisville to his time in Cincinnati. He seems to have put it all together this year, and a BA of .350 at Louisville and Cincinnati would be quite impressive.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keppinger's AAA numbers this year

check baseball America they'll be there. Can't remember exactly but was around 360. It was stupid how good of a hitter he is....

www.milb.com also has a great minor league stats feature.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    www.milb.com also has a great minor league stats feature.
    all BA's stats are done through MILB now, but here's the link to Kepp

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=433898

I appreciate the link, KeyMastur. That was very helpful.

Here's a real serious Kepp break down. BTW Check out his stats for the past 10 games, unheard of for a guy not playing everyday to hit that well.

http://http://firstinning.com/players/Jeff-Keppinger-a/
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yeah, but how can he play for the Reds? We already have the "best defensive shortstop in MLB" in Alex Gonzalez. LOL. Gonzalez is the worst "great" defensive player I have ever seen. Was Francona doing a live stand-up act when he made those comments?

I am a big Keppinger fan. And unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, he is at least serviceable defensively. I think he's going to play a lot for us next year. The thread starter makes a good point that it's very rare for a player to hit over .350 at AAA and the majors combined in a season.

If Jeff Keppinger had Alex Gonzalez's range, Keppinger would be a borderline All-Star in the middle infield. Unfortunately, and I don't have data to back this up, it appears Keppinger's range isn't anything close to Gonzalez's.

Why not try BPhil at SS in spring training then and have Kepp at 2nd?

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/393033

CBS Sportsline includes minor league stats for every player. Scroll to the bottom.

Basically, Keppinger has always been a high-average, no-power, early-count hitter.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

One thing I love about Keppinger, and I wish the Reds need a few more guys like this beyond Scott Hatteberg, is that when he gets behind in the count, I'll be thinking that he'll still find a way to get the ball in play (which is a thought I don't have with guys like David Ross, Alex Gonzalez, Adam Dunn, etc.).

His isolated power numbers are showing just how high he is hitting over his head. In years that he had over 200 AB's at one level, his ISOP numbers are:

.075 - '04 - AA (Altoona)
    .118 - '05 - AAA (Norfolk)
    .059 - '06 - AAA (Norfolk)
    .101 - '07 - AAA (Louisville)

.193 - '07 - MLB (Cincinnati) This number is WAY above his career norms. At a repeat of AAA Norfolk, his ISOP actually went down by a lot in his 2nd year...not good.

Great bench player, but he won't hit like this forever. I like the guy, but don't make any major moves based around him.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    His isolated power numbers are showing just how high he is hitting over his head. In years that he had over 200 AB's at one level, his ISOP numbers are:

.075 - '04 - AA (Altoona)
    .118 - '05 - AAA (Norfolk)
    .059 - '06 - AAA (Norfolk)
    .101 - '07 - AAA (Louisville)

.193 - '07 - MLB (Cincinnati) This number is WAY above his career norms. At a repeat of AAA Norfolk, his ISOP actually went down by a lot in his 2nd year...not good.

Great bench player, but he won't hit like this forever. I like the guy, but don't make any major moves based around him.
    Do you think his increased power numbers this year could indicate developing power? He does not have home run power, but he has showed gap power this year. I have heard power is the last tool to be developed.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Do you think his increased power numbers this year could indicate developing power? He does not have home run power, but he has showed gap power this year. I have heard power is the last tool to be developed.
    Unlikely because his power wasn't significant in Louisville either. So unless it developed over the last 90 AB's, then I think it is a fluke. He also just doesn't have a powerful stroke. He has been making a lot of contact because he isn't trying to hit the ball too hard. Don't think he has the frame for it either. Ride it while he's hot, but I think even his mom doesn't think he is gonna hit like this for much longer.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 08-13-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Don't discount the value of the park in enhancing the ISO for a line drive hitter. If a a few of those off the wall doubles sneak over, it can boost SLG quite significantly, particularly given a small sample. Even if he drops back to .310/.350/.450, that's a very solid line for a middle infielder.

Like I said, I wouldn't trade to clear a starting job for him (well, maybe Gonzalez if we could move BP over), but I think he's going to be a solid contributor for awhile. I think of him like Hopper with a little more pop instead of speed.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?