Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: little league regional

little league regional

Did anyone watch the little league regional tonight? West Side Hamilton, where Joe Nuxhall and I grew up(no connection), won the game and the trip to Williamsport Pa for a shot at the world series! I think watching the little league series is more exciting than pro ball. It's sort of like watching college basketball over the Pros. When you get down to the finals the teams are really intense, you should watch them next week if you haven't before.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: little league regional

Some of those kids are just too good. Technically sound and shows me I have mucho work to train my son for him to compete at such a high level.

The Hamilton team wont have a card to play when they meet Japan or Puerto Rico, those teams always come in with the most impressive defense imaginable. I'm all for Hamilton, being that I grew up there, and I like little league play other than the parents, but some of these teams are amazing. You're right they're really good, and any of our kids would have a tough time reaching their level of play...., watch the series, it's really fun to.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Is it safe to assume that T.J. and Tim Nichting are both related to former Red Chris Nichting?

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Is it safe to assume that T.J. and Tim Nichting are both related to former Red Chris Nichting?
    There's a distant relationship there. That's actually somewhat of a common name in the Hamilton area.

Ray Nichting, Tim's father, TJ's grandfather, was my barber when I was in high school up until about 5 years ago when he retired. He coached the West Side Little League All Stars when they made the LLWS twice back in the early 90s.

There have been several Nichtings who have played baseball at Badin HS in the past few years. All of them pretty solid. Maybe even one or two D1 caliber players.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

You're right, Nichting is a common name on the West side. There was a bar or restaurant over there.... called Nichtings. I can't remember where it was but you rang a bell.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by 37red View Post
    You're right, Nichting is a common name on the West side. There was a bar or restaurant over there.... called Nichtings. I can't remember where it was but you rang a bell.
    Nichting's Supper Club. It was actually on the East Side, where Heaton Street runs off of Rt. 4. It's no longer in business, but part of the building is still there.

Ahhh yes, drove by there many a night cruising in my 1961 Chevrolet convertible. Route 4, Frisch's, Carters and back to Main street to the other Frisch's. Of course gas was only a quarter a gallon and the likes of Johnny Bench, Lee May, Tony Perez, Vada Pinson, Rose and Maloney were on the radio, WLW.

The Hamilton team are scheduled to be on ESPN 3 times in the next 4 days. They have games scheduled at 2 PM Friday, 8 PM Saturday and 3 PM Monday.

OMG!, Nichting's Supper Club had the best steaks ever! However they were not related to the WSLL Nichtings. Carters was also a favorite and I think their burgers were better than Frisch's.

Wow. I was doing some reading on this team curious to see if I recognized any of the names, being a native of the area. One of the coaches, Kenny Coomer, played on my club team when I was 17 years old. I played for the Fairfield Chiefs at the time and he was the center fielder. He was a slap hitting lefty with loads of speed. He only played with us the one year, but I recognized his picture immediately. Apparently he has a kid on the team.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Well MWM, games on at two today. They seem to have only one really good pitcher and time will tell if he can hold up for that many games in only a few days. Hopefully they have a back up to carry them through when he runs out of gas. The Fairfield Chiefs weren't the Fairfield Indians, the high school?

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Wow. I was doing some reading on this team curious to see if I recognized any of the names, being a native of the area. One of the coaches, Kenny Coomer, played on my club team when I was 17 years old. I played for the Fairfield Chiefs at the time and he was the center fielder. He was a slap hitting lefty with loads of speed. He only played with us the one year, but I recognized his picture immediately. Apparently he has a kid on the team.
    Nice article about Kenny Coomer in the Middletown paper the other day. He actually doesn't have a kid on the team.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/hp/...407coomer.html

fun pictures

Quote Originally Posted by 37red View Post
    Well MWM, games on at two today. They seem to have only one really good pitcher and time will tell if he can hold up for that many games in only a few days. Hopefully they have a back up to carry them through when he runs out of gas. The Fairfield Chiefs weren't the Fairfield Indians, the high school?
    Yes, that was the High School, but FF also had a club team that played in the summer. When I played, the 16 year old team was the Warriors, the 17 year olds the Tribe, and the 18 year olds the Chiefs, but they changed them all to the Chiefs a couple of years after I left. The team was mostly guys from FF and Hamilton (the ones who didn't go play for Midland), with the occassional player from Oxford or other local towns. I think Hamilton has their own club team now, so I doubt may go play for the Chiefs.
    Last edited by MWM; 08-17-2007 at 10:48 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?