Re: Capping Off the Uniform: The Caps of Major League Baseball

Along with that new BP cap you can see the new BP jersey here:

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Red cap, red bill, white C. The end.
    Ding ding ding........we have a winner!

I've only watched about 2000 Mariners games in my life.

There's a compass atop the "S"?

It's better than fork.

Guess that speaks for itself about the logo.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    I've only watched about 2000 Mariners games in my life.

There's a compass atop the "S"?

It's better than fork.

Guess that speaks for itself about the logo.
    I always liked the trident "M" logo. I actually bought a hat with this logo when I visited Seattle a year and a half ago. The current logo is nice. The worst was the blue and yellow with just the "S" on top. It looked more like a hat that a grocery bagger would wear. "Welcome to the Seattle Safeway. We have the freshest produce in town."

Here's an example.

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Here's an all-time classic.

I found it clever how they worked M-e-b (Montreal Expos Baseball) into the logo.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I thought it was just a stylized "M".

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I thought it was just a stylized "M".
    Wikipedia offers Yachtzee's theory (see sidebar), but the Chris Creamer site says the following:

The rouge, blanc et bleu logo of the Montreal Expos was more then just a catchy little image, there was actually meaning behind many aspects of the logo. Although its true meaning is widely debated the Montreal Expos have only ever offered one story behind the logo. It is an 'eMb', which stands for 'Expos de Montréal Baseball', the 'e' in red, the 'M' half in white and half in blue, and a 'b' in blue. This eMb logo remained in use by the club until their move to Washington in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Wikipedia offers Yachtzee's theory (see sidebar), but the Chris Creamer site says the following:
    Yeah, I've heard it both ways and I think the French is probably more correct. I just used the English because 1) I wasn't about to attempt the French; and 2) they mean the relatively the same thing.

On a side note, I couldn't believe that my own brother, baseball fan that he is, never realized until last year that the old Milwaukee Brewers logo not only represented a mit catching a ball, but was also composed of the letters "m" and "b."

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Here's an all-time classic.

I've always really liked this design for some reason. The color scheme is good and I like the incorporation of the "M" and "e" and "b" all in one neat design. Call me odd but I always saw the "e" with a cursive "X" next to it as well, even though that isn't in any of the posted explanations

I actually bought the batting helmet at a Reds game once when I was in Junior High and wore it quite a bit. It was more out of a desire to be "different and unique" than out of any fondness for the Expos. I was a newly minted teenager and could be following the flock now could I? :

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    On a side note, I couldn't believe that my own brother, baseball fan that he is, never realized until last year that the old Milwaukee Brewers logo not only represented a mit catching a ball, but was also composed of the letters "m" and "b."
    One of the most recognizable logos in sports, the Milwaukee Brewers yellow and blue mitt logo was introduced in Winter 1977 and adorned Brewers caps for the 16 greatest seasons in club history. The logo was selected among more than 2,000 entries from both professional and amateur designers in an open contest in October and November 1977. Tom Meindel, an Art History student at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, designed the logo and earned the $2,000 first prize. The logo combines the lower case letters "m" and "b", the club's initials, to form a baseball glove.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ps-focus_x.htm

Baseball caps to have new feel
    By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY
    A pitcher stands on the mound in the August sun, tugging at the bill of his sweat-soaked cap, stained white with the salt of his labors.

That might be an image of the past if Major League Baseball's new caps work according to plan.

Big-league caps traditionally have been made of 100% wool. The new caps, debuting opening day, look just like the old ones despite being 100% polyester.

MLB and its cap manufacturer, New Era, say the new fabric is designed to "wick" away sweat and evaporate it while reducing the stains, odor, shrinkage and fading that come with wool.

Most players haven't donned the new caps, but opinions are forming.

"Some of the guys might want to keep the old ones," Chicago White Sox catcher Toby Hall says. "You see some guys out there with their sweat rings, some hats that have (faded and) turned pink. They don't want to get rid of them."

But White Sox outfielder Darin Erstad says, "I like the old school as much as everybody does, but technology has shown its face in every facet of life. So why not reap the benefit of it? ... We'll find out when it's 100 degrees and the sweat's wicking its way from my head onto the hat. Then we'll know how good it is."

Technology evolution

According to the National Baseball Hall of Fame website, flannel uniforms, made from a wool-cotton blend, were the norm in the big leagues well into the 1940s. Then came lighter blends of wool and synthetic fibers. In 1970, the Pittsburgh Pirates introduced double-knits, which became the standard.

There has been evolution in caps, too. In the 1950s, the tops of the caps went from eight panels stitched together to six. But caps remained wool — until now, with these new caps made at plants in the Buffalo suburb of Derby, and Demopolis and Jackson in western Alabama.

"Although it's going to look very similar on the field ... it really is the first time we've kind of taken the thing and completely re-engineered it," says John DeWaal, New Era's vice president of global marketing.

In the old caps, the bottom of the brim was light gray. In the new caps, it is black, aimed at reducing glare. The cloth headband inside the cap, also advertised as new and improved for removing moisture, has gone from white to black.

Wicking technology has been used in an array of sports apparel but "it's new for us, and it was unique for us in that it's headwear," DeWaal says. "But the properties are similar to some of the other products that you see out there."

Howard Smith, senior vice president/licensing for MLB Properties, says the change is in keeping with Commissioner Bud Selig's focus on "getting our athletes the best product we can." MLB also was careful not to change the look.

"The proof is in the pudding. ... If you look at two Yankee hats (old and new) or two Pittsburgh Pirates hats side by side, in the absence of looking at the brim, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference," Smith says.

Steve Vucinich, equipment manger of the Oakland A's, says the black bottom of the new brims might require some adjusting for players who like to write inspirational words in black ink.

But Vucinich, who saw about a half dozen A's test the new caps during games over the past two seasons, welcomes the switch. He says on hot days he would notice sweat "pouring" down the sides of players' faces, particularly pitchers, under the old caps.

"Where the bills connect to the hat on the right side and left side, it would mostly drip off there," Vucinich says. "With this wicking, you don't see that at all."

Vucinich says he did a demonstration of moisture management with some of the players who tested the caps. He spilled a few drops of water on the old and new caps.

The droplets tended to bead up on the old caps. With the new caps, the droplets spread out over the fabric.

"It draws the moisture away from your head, and it leads to evaporation a lot quicker," Smith says.

Batting practice 'do-rag'

The new hats won't be used until opening day. New Era, though, has a new line of batting practice caps, and they are being worn in spring training.

The batting practice caps are "stretch fit," not individually sized like the regular-season caps, and sell for $28. They are 62% polyester, 38% wool, also billed as having wicking properties. A stretch band is visible on each side of the cap above the ear.

"I'm not a big fan of them," Atlanta Braves pitcher Tim Hudson says of the new batting practice caps. "They have that little different color-flap (the stretch band) above the ear and it looks like everybody is running around with a do-rag under the hat."

That's the look until opening day. Once the season starts, Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Orlando Hudson says his focus will be on his performance, not his cap.

"As long as I catch the ball behind my pitchers, make plays and get the important outs, that's the big thing," Hudson says. "I don't think the hat is going to help the ball stay in the glove."

He jokingly adds, "If I boot it and it's the hat's fault, I'll tell you after the game, 'It had to be the hat.' "

"The proof is in the pudding. ... If you look at two Yankee hats (old and new) or two Pittsburgh Pirates hats side by side, in the absence of looking at the brim, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference," Smith says.
    I know Randy will be happy to hear this!

The batting practice caps are "stretch fit," not individually sized like the regular-season caps, and sell for $28. They are 62% polyester, 38% wool, also billed as having wicking properties. A stretch band is visible on each side of the cap above the ear.
    Here's the stretch band they're referring to. Check out the sides:

...and while we're on the subject of 2007-model batting practice caps, this one gets my vote for the best of the bunch. Does anyone else find this to be a tremendous improvement over what the Angels wear in games? It's new and modern with the new logo, yet honors the frachise's history of navy caps with red bills:

You can check out all the new batting practice caps here.

While I really like the wool caps, I am glad that they have not gone completely crazy with the new caps. The Reds actually wore polyester caps for a couple of seasons when they were wearing the white pinstriped caps with the red bills because the wool ones faded so badly. I have one of those and it isn't a bad cap. The white is much "whiter" than the wool caps. I'm not a big fan of the black undervisior and sweat band. I think major league baseball had an alterior motive with that as they didn't like the messages being written on the undervisors. They do make silver pens, Bud.

The BP cap is simply horrible. The jersey wouldn't be bad, but when you throw on the new font for the back it's awful as well.

Seriously, why not just wear the new uniforms for spring training?

Turn Off Ads?