Re: Capping Off the Uniform: The Caps of Major League Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Oh man... the hat that I wear!
    It's a good hat for fans, just not for them
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned those striped ones the Pirates wore a few years back. I wonder where those would rate.
    How about the striped ones the Reds wore a number of years ago.
    Rob Dibble said he felt like an ice cream man when he wore that hat. I would agree too. But you know what I bought one of those and wore it.That's exactly what they want you to do.
    I also had one of those Pirate caps. Man am I a sheep? :

Personally, I like all of the Reds caps---even the ones that are predomintly black.

Some other favorites:
    St. Louis. Like both caps but prefer the all red one.
    LA (and I don't mean the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim!)
    Baltimore. I just like the Oriole on the cap.
    Cleveland. Love Chief Wahooo and don't give a rat's butt about being PC.
    Yankees. What could be more classic----even if you hate the team.
    San Francisco. The interlocking initials in orange on black simply look good.

One more thing: I love the Reds unis with the pinstripes and vest. Takes me back to when I first started following the Reds in the 50's. The 70's unis were a bad dress for the prom queen. (Translation: the best team in the land dressed as though they were trying to be dull and ordinary.)

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    My wife looked for me a traditional Reds cap with the wishbone white C but couldn't find one for my birthday. I had to settle for the Red C and black cap. I really don't like the variations they come up with. But it's all about marketing and making more $$$$.
    I found a New Era one (with the MLB logo at the back) at a Lids store in a mall in Cincinnati. I also know for a fact that you can get the all red in a more fitted version with the C-Reds logo in the back at Dick's and other places.

As for me, I like the Reds uniforms with just a couple tweaks. First, wear the all red caps home and away. Second, the shirts under the vest jerseys should always be red. Third, every player on the team should be required to wear high red socks, like Hudson and Wagner. If the team needs color contrast on the road, my preference would be to ditch black and go back to navy blue, as the team did during the 50s and 60s (I believe). I also would get rid of the numbers on the front of the away jerseys, which just look asymmetric.

I am a picky SOB.

Haunted by walks

/\
    I have that hat, I like it..but the worst one is the black hat with the Gold C

Gold?!?
    Go Gators!

Wasn't there an all red cap giveaway about 3-4 years ago against the Dodgers, maybe? The whole black thing seemed ok when it first came out (I believe it was 1999, everything seemed ok that year) However, the black hat and road uniform kinda suck, now.

I wish they would go back to the all red cap, and dump those stupid black sleeves on the road. Someone should tell them that they are the Cincinnati REDS.

Since black is so cool and sells so much merchandise, I think the Reds and all teams should go with a color scheme like the cap BCubb posted -- black on black on black, with black trim.

On the subject of black, the Kansas City Royals will be eliminating the black from their uniforms next year. Maybe that will start a new trend, one away from black.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Speaking of eliminating the "black," still hoping for a return of those '68-'71 era Reds uniforms.

I just want the high socks
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Speaking of eliminating the "black," still hoping for a return of those '68-'71 era Reds uniforms.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Now that's what I'm talking about.

Maybe I have poor taste, but I love the 1950s Reds cap that was revived in the mid-90s with the Red bill and white top with red pin stripes.

Here it is:

Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Maybe I have poor taste, but I love the 1950s Reds cap that was revived in the mid-90s with the Red bill and white top with red pin stripes.

Here it is:
    That's a classic. I remember when MLB first started offering Cooperstown style caps, that was the first one I picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    That's a classic. I remember when MLB first started offering Cooperstown style caps, that was the first one I picked up.
    I had one for the longest time. I finally had to retire it. It looked a lot like Steve Kline's hats.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?