Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8-12-07 Minor League Updates

Re: 8-12-07 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Chattanooga update: Lookouts lead 8-3 after 6.5 innings. Maloney has pitched 6 full innings.
    6 IP 5 H 3 ER 1 BB 9K. In 21 innings now in Chattanooga Maloney has 28 K. (he did however give up 2 HRs tonight) Dorn has homered for Chattanooga.
    The strikeout and walk rates are very encouraging, but his HR rate is concerning. Its strange because HRs weren't a huge problem for him before he was traded.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In the end he allowed 8 base runners in 6 innings and struck out 6. That is a good game.
    From reading the reports, a lot of XBHs against him tonight.

Noting for the record that I'm impressed that Cueto continues to hold his own at AAA, it still shows me that he is still not close to being ready for the bigs.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Cueto needs to stay at AAA through next season IMO...but im impressed with the way he has progressed this season
    Reds fan since 1970

Votto finished 2-for-4 with a single and HR (#16). Bruce was 1-for-2 with his 40th double and 70th XBH on the year along with two walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    Cueto needs to stay at AAA through next season IMO...but im impressed with the way he has progressed this season
    Why though next season? What if he shows he is ready?

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Todd Coffey and Jon Coutlangus on a bit of a trampoline. Coffey pitches one inning and gives up four runs on four hits and a walk. While Cooter pitches a perfect 8th inning, striking out the side.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why though next season? What if he shows he is ready?
    I would love to see him get the call in Sept and see him operate in the pen. Just so he can get a taste of MLB hitters.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Todd Coffey and Jon Coutlangus on a bit of a trampoline. Coffey pitches one inning and gives up four runs on four hits and a walk. While Cooter pitches a perfect 8th inning, striking out the side.
    I have got to think that both Countlangus and Coffey are working on things in AAA. Mechanics, new pitches whiuch will lead to some good outings and some bad ones too.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Down in AA Jose Guevara had another excellent outing. He was perfect while striking out the side. To date in 50 2/3 innings he has now struck out 75. In his last 11 1/3 he has fanned 21batters. WK, are you listening?

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Sarasota drops the second game of a twinbill. Alex Smit pitched five shutout innings before the wheels came off in the sixth. He allowed the first two men to reach before being pulled.
    5+ IP 4 H 2 ER 3 BB 4 K. This was his first appearance at High A.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Who says Joey Votto can't play LF? Just gunned a guy down at the plate.
    Wily Mo has a good arm, too.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    I wouldn't call giving up 7 hits in 5 innings a "good" outing. Though he has improved his k/9 after his first 9 innings.

He is looking a bit rushed.

It is if you're a sinkerball hitter, when on the night you don't walk a batter and strike out as many batters as innings pitched.

Even good sinkerball pitchers always give up a lot of hits. They're contact pitchers and some get through, but when they're pitching well, they're all singles, and a bunch of singles over the course of a game doesn't equal out to runs scored.

But, in the case of tonight, Cueto gave up a bunch of extra-base hits someone said, so his stuff couldn't have been that good. He had to be leaving a lot of pitches hanging in the strike zone.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 08-13-2007 at 03:24 AM.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Exactly. Let AAA managers get a good scouting report on him and see how he adjusts to their adjustments.

IMO, if Cueto can maintain good control he should be up here next season. The reason Homer struggled when he was up here is because he can't throw his offspeed stuff for strikes consistantly yet, I'v seen him snap off a few nasty curves and when he can throw that curve for a strike 75% of the time he will be a very good #1 or 2. If Cueto continues to pitch well and can keep his walks down after about 80 AAA innings I say give him a shot at the big league level.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

I would leave Cueto in AAA until next year's AS Break. If at that time he has shown consistent and continued dominance, then I would call him up to be the #4 starter.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?