Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Johnny Bench Story?

Johnny Bench Story?

Does anyone have details about the J Bench story in Bill Simmons mailbag this week.

It tells of the time Bench kept getting shook off by a pitcher who wanted to throw a fastball, so JB proceeded to catch the next fastball with his bare hand to prove a point.

Simmons ranked it the #1 manliest act in sports.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Johnny Bench Story?

probably why he doesn't sign autographs

I'd be interested to hear the story from the horses mouth. I have heard it before too. Heard he kept calling for breaking balls and the pitcher kept shaking him off so he caught his fastball barehanded.

By the way he does sign autographs. I just got one from him 2 weeks ago.

Johnny Bench was better at his position than any player in Reds history. A class act and the greatest catcher in the history of the game.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    Johnny Bench was better at his position than any player in Reds history. A class act and the greatest catcher in the history of the game.
    And you forgot to mention a damn good singer.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

He told the story a long time ago on Late Night with David Letterman back in the 80's. He basically said that there was a pitcher that was throwing slop but kept wanting to throw the #1. Bench said that he tried to change the pitch several times, the pitcher just kept calling for the fastball so Johnny said he rolled his eyes and agreed to the pitch. He then intentionally caught the pitch bare handed and proceeded to walk to the mound to personally deliver the ball back to him and told him to throw the pitch Johnny was calling.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/arti...baseball.shtml

Fascinating accounts, stories, and even myths about how fast - or not so fast - a pitch has gone are common in the annals of the game. One such account allegedly took place during a Spring Training game in 1968. A rookie catcher named Johnny Bench was behind the plate and eight-year veteran Jim Maloney was on the mound. Bench continuously called for breaking balls and Maloney continuously shook him off. Frustrated, the two met at the mound where Bench bluntly said, "Your fastball's not popping." Maloney, also blunt, replied, "%*$@ you." The rookie returned to his position behind the plate and called for a curve, only to be shaken off again. Bench gave in to the veteran (who had recently strung together four consecutive seasons with 200+ strikeouts) and signaled for a fastball. Maloney delivered. Before the pitch reached the plate Bench dropped his glove and caught the ball bare-handed - or so the story goes.

The story forgot to menttion he tipped the batter off on what was coming, told him he would give him one back later if he took the pitch to make a point.

According to Jim Maloney, this never happened. It is true except for the barehanded part.

Also, the way I had heard it first time was it was some hot shot rookie, not Maloney, who thought he was Mr. heat, and that noone could touch him, so Bench wanted to bring hm back down to earth. No telling who/how/if it really happened I guess

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    And you forgot to mention a damn good singer.
    I was a youngster, but I remember he kicked butt on Hee Haw!

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I was a youngster, but I remember he kicked butt on Hee Haw!
    Honestley who didnt kick butt on Hee Haw?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/arti...baseball.shtml

Fascinating accounts, stories, and even myths about how fast - or not so fast - a pitch has gone are common in the annals of the game. One such account allegedly took place during a Spring Training game in 1968. A rookie catcher named Johnny Bench was behind the plate and eight-year veteran Jim Maloney was on the mound. Bench continuously called for breaking balls and Maloney continuously shook him off. Frustrated, the two met at the mound where Bench bluntly said, "Your fastball's not popping." Maloney, also blunt, replied, "%*$@ you." The rookie returned to his position behind the plate and called for a curve, only to be shaken off again. Bench gave in to the veteran (who had recently strung together four consecutive seasons with 200+ strikeouts) and signaled for a fastball. Maloney delivered. Before the pitch reached the plate Bench dropped his glove and caught the ball bare-handed - or so the story goes.
    The true story as I understand it. Maloney was on the backside of the peak of being at the top of his game, and Bench showed him his usual flaming FB wasn't getting it. This story has been turned into legend, by so many to elevate Bench's already much deserved stature. Make no mistake, for those first few years, Bench was the greatest to ever play his position. But, after the lung surgery, and the infamous collision, he was reduced to just another catcher. For those few years though, he was indeed the greatest the position ever saw. No lesser than the fellow great, Bill Dickey, said so. NO ONE, tried his arm in those years. In his latter years, he maintained--- as Curt Gowdy once said of Bench, "the flair for the dramatic".

I wish he would be a Reds coach. He was a terrific catcber. I think that if he hadn't had injuries he would have hit 500.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I wish he would be a Reds coach.
    JB's too smart to get involved with the managerial and/or coaching side of things. I like his role as a consultant to the team.

Turn Off Ads?