Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey is on a pitching program in Sarasota

Talkin' Baseball

Re: Homer Bailey is on a pitching program in Sarasota

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Since his groin was hurt, why didnt the reds just let him have the extra rest over the All-Star break instead of sending him down?
    He did make a start or two after they sent him down. It was then he said that the groin was still botherhing him and that he was "starting to feel it in my shoulder" so they decided to shut him down at that point. My guess is that Homer didn't think the groin issue was bad and that he could pitch through it. I think the Reds assumed he would be back ASAP from AAA, but the groin issue fouled it up. Anyways, worked out best for the Reds because now there is no concern of him being a "Super 2" and hopefully he'll get a little more work on his control before coming back up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

HOMER UPDATE: Homer Bailey will start Friday for the Florida State League Reds.

It will be Bailey's first start since July 17 when he went on Louisville's disabled list with a strained groin.

General manager Wayne Krivsky wouldn't predict if Bailey will pitch for the Reds again this season.

I thought this was interesting. I believe Wayne mentioned it yesterday, but I am not sure how many people caught it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post

It will be Bailey's first start since July 17 when he went on Louisville's disabled list with a strained groin.

General manager Wayne Krivsky wouldn't predict if Bailey will pitch for the Reds again this season.

I thought this was interesting. I believe Wayne mentioned it yesterday, but I am not sure how many people caught it.
    I'm not going to lose any sleep if they shut him down at the close of the minor league season. Let him get ready for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm not going to lose any sleep if they shut him down at the close of the minor league season. Let him get ready for next year.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him come out of the bullpen for the Reds in September.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post

Looked on the Sarasota web sit and it had Probables :TBD
    Does anyone know for sure if he is pitching tonight?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

That is what Wayne Krivsky said on the radio on Tuesday and I doubt there was much of a set back in the time being. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that Bailey still hasn't been placed on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    If he's healthy he should keep pitching. He only has 95 innings this year. Last year he had 135. Get him as much work as you can, he'll be better off for it next year (provided you keep the arm healthy).
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

I've said it before....I'm so disappointed with the way this Bailey situation has played out this year...injury,personal situation,promotion,demotion...I was hoping he'd be seasoned enough this year so he could go out and have a solid '08. (Much like Hamels is having this year).

Sadly, I'm afraid his breakout year is now penciled in for '09. I just don't see Bailey going April-Sept as a regular in the rotation for the Reds next year.

No one person's fault...but I'm still disappointed.

Tonight's Sarasota game was rained out. Homer Bailey was listed in the pregame box score as the Reds pitcher there. (see THIS LINK).

I suppose he may start Saturday in Sarasota.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I've said it before....I'm so disappointed with the way this Bailey situation has played out this year...injury,personal situation,promotion,demotion...I was hoping he'd be seasoned enough this year so he could go out and have a solid '08. (Much like Hamels is having this year).

Sadly, I'm afraid his breakout year is now penciled in for '09. I just don't see Bailey going April-Sept as a regular in the rotation for the Reds next year.

No one person's fault...but I'm still disappointed.
    Remember, Bailey's 2006 season was a bit overrated. He ran into quite a bit of good luck which ran expectations high. But Hughes had clearly the better year between the two.

This year he ran into what seems personal issues, bizzare groin strains and rushed promotions(his numbers in AAA had fallen off farther than his ERA said, 7.9k/9 before his promotion is a good example). He didn't look good coming out of spring training either. He was argueably more impressive the year before in spring training. Either:
    1.Something was bothering him emotionally or physically.
    2.He simply made little effort to improve. I don't really believe that.

So what is it?
    a.Physically out of shape. With him hanging around 91-94mph to much and not jacking it up to 95-97 as much this year along with the horrid command, he isn't in good physical condition.
    b.Fraying labrum. This is a possibilty. While a MRI wouldn't show structural damage, a fraying labrum would weaken the arm(stuff) and damage control. The condition if stalls, isn't career threatening or stuff grabbing but definitely worrying.
    c.Injured groin. This has been the "excuse" of Bailey's problems this year. Has it been dull since winter?
    d.Emotionally injured. This could jive with a, but if Bailey's head hasn't been in it, that is a possible answer. Maybe taking a/d together and causing c to occur over the season.

Whatever it is, Bailey has been sub-par with expectations of development since spring training opened. Something is/has gone on.
    Last edited by Aronchis; 08-24-2007 at 11:48 PM.

After three innings in Sarasota, Bailey has given up 4 runs, 6 hits, 2 walks, 4 Ks, and 1 HR. Not exactly overwelming.....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I'm just suprised there has been no real concern over his visit home to TX for personal reasons...I could care less what it is...but if is affecting or will affect his performance I'd at least like the organization or Homer to throw us a bone. He has gotten a pass on that one...but I'm still suprised not many on here are concerned about it...this place would be up in arms if Dunn went home to TX for unknown reasons in mid-year.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm just suprised there has been no real concern over his visit home to TX for personal reasons...I could care less what it is...but if is affecting or will affect his performance I'd at least like the organization or Homer to throw us a bone. He has gotten a pass on that one...but I'm still suprised not many on here are concerned about it...this place would be up in arms if Dunn went home to TX for unknown reasons in mid-year.
    Not if Dunn were on the DL when he did it like Homer was.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

First of all, there's nothing wrong with Homer going home for a few days when on the DL. Get over yourself. Alex Gonzalez has spent more time on the berevement list this year than in the Reds' starting lineup. I know it's because of his son, but unless you know the reason why Homer needed a day or two to go home, it's dumb (IMO) to bring it up.

Second of all, I am very concerned about the way Homer pitched tonight. Was hoping to see him come back and dominate some A ball hitters. Nope. Would be great if Homer could finish the season strong on the Reds roster but it's not looking good.

Sarasota is not low A.

Turn Off Ads?