Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homer Bailey is on a pitching program in Sarasota

Re: Homer Bailey is on a pitching program in Sarasota

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He went back to Texas for whatever reason (its not really any of our business honestly, sometimes we all have personal business that others do not need to know about) .
    Did you hear the news- Dunn will not be with the team the next two weeks, he has some personal business to take care of. Pete told him to take off, said others don't need to know about it. Very similiar to my own situation- i told my clients i'd be gone for a few weeks on personal business. They said fine - they didn't need to know about it.

This 2007 Homer Bailey saga has been a most botched up piece of business. Morover this is not some college football team. You'd think the press would find out whats going on with this guy and inform us fans.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Did you hear the news- Dunn will not be with the team the next two weeks, he has some personal business to take care of. Pete told him to take off, said others don't need to know about it. Very similiar to my own situation- i told my clients i'd be gone for a few weeks on personal business. They said fine - they didn't need to know about it.

This 2007 Homer Bailey saga has been a most botched up piece of business. Morover this is not some college football team. You'd think the press would find out whats going on with this guy and inform us fans.
    Except that didnt happen. You are making a comparison that doesn't make sense. That would be like a mechanic with two broken hands in a cast not coming to work for a few days to attend to personal business when its quite obvious that he can't work anyways.

Additionally, its called 'personal reasons' for that exact point. Its personal. It is none of our business and he was gone for 3 days when he couldn't play. What is the big deal, seriously?

Except that didnt happen. You are making a comparison that doesn't make sense. That would be like a mechanic with two broken hands in a cast not coming to work for a few days to attend to personal business when its quite obvious that he can't work anyways.

Additionally, its called 'personal reasons' for that exact point. Its personal. It is none of our business and he was gone for 3 days when he couldn't play. What is the big deal, seriously?
    It was never made clear to me that Homer "couldn't work anyway". The brightest prospect in our organization is mysteriously sent back down to the minors without an adequate explaination. Then after a bad outing he is put on the DL with a groin injury which is never adequately detailed. Then when he is supposedly ready to begin rehab, he is allowed to take time off for "personal reasons." I never got the impression that he was so injured that he couldn't even rehab and therefore could take time off, which is what you are trying to convey.

Finally he makes his first rehab start and he is shelled. Throughout this whole process there is little information provided as to his status, the extent of his injury, and his rehab progress. I'm a fan, and when the brighest prospect in my organization suddenly disappears without an adequate explaination, thats a big deal.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    It was never made clear to me that Homer "couldn't work anyway". The brightest prospect in our organization is mysteriously sent back down to the minors without an adequate explaination. Then after a bad outing he is put on the DL with a groin injury which is never adequately detailed. Then when he is supposedly ready to begin rehab, he is allowed to take time off for "personal reasons." I never got the impression that he was so injured that he couldn't even rehab and therefore could take time off, which is what you are trying to convey.

Finally he makes his first rehab start and he is shelled. Throughout this whole process there is little information provided as to his status, the extent of his injury, and his rehab progress. I'm a fan, and when the brighest prospect in my organization suddenly disappears without an adequate explaination, thats a big deal.
    Maybe you just dont pay attention then. He was sent back to the minors to keep him on a regular pitching schedule rather than give him a 9 day layoff. He then told the Reds his groin was not right and he had been pitching through it but he had started to feel it in his arm, so they put him on the DL. He was not ready to begin rehab when he went home. He was sent to the DL and it was said to be 're-evaluated in 10 day'. He then went home on roughly day 6 and was back in time to be re-evaluated.

Maybe you just dont pay attention then.
    I try my best. I did start a thread back on 8/8/07 asking what Homer's status was, and nobody else seemed to know either.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 08-26-2007 at 03:59 PM.

I'd like to see them just shut him down for the year to be honest.

Dougdirt...I've brought this up twice about Homer's return to TX...its not like he was shut down on the DL and went to visit TX....

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/...ort=MLB&ID=242

"Homer Bailey (groin) was throwing and making progress from his injury, but he returned to Texas for personal reasons."

If that doesn't make you crook an eyebrow...fine. I understand people...stuff is personal...I know. But...the way that sentence reads is strange...assuming it is accurate. But, my take on it (I see no other) is Homer was rehabbing his injury, but shut it down to return home. Fine. He has privacy. Fine. But...as I said in my post...Dunn doesn't get that free pass. Maybe the sentence just reads funny...I don't know.

Remember when Hamilton was on the DL and he took some AB's off Harang in Dayton...what if that was canceled that due to personal reasons...(or any regular roster member...cause of course this place would be up in arms if Josh took personal time off)...wouldn't there be some concern in that something more important than rehabbing an injury was going on in a players life.

Which of course, things happen in life more important than baseball...i.e. Harang's grandfather's passing. Don't think I don't realize that. However, 99% of the time fans are at least clued into what is going on...Bailey is back in Sarasota rehabbing so I assume this is moot anyway...my last post was really just thinking aloud that he did get a pass on this one.

As a Cleveland Browns fan...I remember the ordeal last year with Ryan Tucker...the guy missed a ton of games, even left mid-game due to undisclosed problems (turned out to be mental illness)...but at the time everyone was kept in the dark, and no one knew when if ever he would be back on the field. I 100% don't think that is going on...but when I read that blurb about Homer...I just couldn't help but wonder what was going on, and I was suprised no one else was with me...I'm just strange I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    HOMER UPDATE: Homer Bailey will start Friday for the Florida State League Reds.

It will be Bailey's first start since July 17 when he went on Louisville's disabled list with a strained groin.

General manager Wayne Krivsky wouldn't predict if Bailey will pitch for the Reds again this season.

I thought this was interesting. I believe Wayne mentioned it yesterday, but I am not sure how many people caught it.

Wayne is usually pretty tight lipped about these sort of things but I don't think he feels the pressure to bring Homer up again like he did before. Wayne may deny it but I think he was under orders to bring him up since Narron said that every time he asked Wayne about Homer, he'd say no. Now Narron may be a very good salesman or Wayne just got tired of Narron bugging him about it but I doubt it. Now that Homer has had his debut and a few starts and people don't think he's all that any more, the pressure is off. Starting Homer now isn't going to bring any more people to the park than a typical Aaron Harang start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Homer will be getting his second start tonight in a double-header at Sarasota tonight. Let's hope he does better tonight.

If Homer has a good performance tonight(I think he will), is he going to stick around and pitch during the play-offs for Sarasota?

Now that the season is over, anyone know what is going on with the pitching program?

Given Dumatrait's demise yesterday, is it possible Homer re-appears in Cincy's rotation for the last 2 weeks (I hope not at this point)?
    Last edited by mth123; 09-10-2007 at 03:49 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Now that the season is over, anyone know what is going on with the pitching program?

Given Dumatrait's demise yesterday, is it possible Homer re-appears in Cincy's rotation for the last 2 weeks (I hope not at this point)?
    I wouldn't mind seeing him come in from the bullpen a few times.

I read somewhere he will be in Sarasota for the rest of the year, but I have lost the link to that article. Krivsky said it was unlikely we would see him in September.

MILWAUKEE -- For those who have asked about the whereabouts of Homer Bailey, he hasn't disappeared -- nor is he in the witness relocation program.

The Reds' top pitching prospect is in Sarasota, Fla., throwing and working out. Bailey, 21, threw a simulated game on Monday and the right-hander was scheduled to throw another 75-85 pitches in simulated action on Saturday.

After he spent July 19-Aug. 23 on Triple-A Louisville's disabled list with a strained right groin, Bailey made two starts for Class A Sarasota and went 0-1 with a 10.13 ERA. When the Minor League season ended, Bailey was declared ineligible to pitch in the Florida State League playoffs and had no place else to start.

Since then, Bailey has been working with Sarasota pitching coach Tom Brown and pitching coordinator Mack Jenkins.

Couldn't Bailey get those innings in the Majors? The Reds have a couple of open spots in their rotation over the season's final two weeks. General manager Wayne Krivsky was noncommittal.

"Because he needs to work with Tom Brown in Sarasota," Krivsky responded. "We'll see what happens."

Bailey was 6-3 with a 3.07 ERA in 12 starts this season for Louisville. He made his long anticipated big league debut on June 8 and had mixed results by going 2-2 with a 6.99 ERA and 21 walks over 28 1/3 innings. He was sent back to Louisville by the All-Star break.

"We just want to have him throwing," Krivsky said of Bailey's current program. "He's working on things to make him better -- whether it's with different pitches, his delivery, mechanics. Anything related to throwing a baseball. We want to keep him active and try to help him get better."

I hope all this work in Florida helps him get ready for next year, and he has a good enough spring training to join the club.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm usually one to give the FO the benefit of the doubt...but I'm angry about this whole mess with Bailey....last I heard he was sent to AAA to simply keep on schedule during the All Star Break.

Then... Goes on the 7-Day DL for an unannounced time for a groin injury, with no real updates for a few weeks...then mysteriously vanishes to TX for awhile, and is now in Sarasota "rehabbing". What is going on???? All of a sudden the second half of 07 is going to be wasted in a year that he should have spent at least building up arm endurance.

Its the lack of info that bothers me, be it the FO or Baileys fault...I don't know who I should be upset with. (Spare the cheap "you should be upset with WK for calling him up in the first place" joke.)
    I apologize ahead of time for running an end-around on the forum...but being that I can't converse with the big boys in the ORG...I still don't get the whole "personal" trip to TX Homer went on last year. It is well documented that it is dougdirts opinion that it is none of my/our business...but now the big debate in the ORG is whether Homer could be a head case.....hmmm

Anyone who is fine with the way Homer's injury transpired/was played out last year is definitely a glass half full type of person...unlike myself I suppose.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 03-05-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Turn Off Ads?