Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Junior '06 vs. '07

Junior '06 vs. '07

I was looking at Juniors stats for '06 vs. '07 at 109 games played. Remarkably consistant with last year except that he's roughly doubled his walk totals with almost the same number of base hits to bump his average up 20 points and his OBP almost 70. His power numbers remain virturally the same. Oh yeah, he added 6 SBs. Pretty remarkable year for Junior. Especially with learning a 'new' position.

Code:
    2006 109 428 62 108 19 0 27 72 208 39 78 0 0 .316 .486 .252 
    2007 109 389 62 106 14 0 27 72 201 73 72 6 0 .384 .517 .272
    Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Junior '06 vs. '07

At the beginning of the year, and he was possibly being tongue in cheek, he was saying that his wrist injury probably helped him because it taught him to be more patient (since he wouldn't able to pull all the balls he could right before the injury).

And while it's obvious that Jr has lost a step - and who wouldn't at not only his age, but also all the surgeries - but I don't think he has been playing a terrible RF. Of course I'm sure there are those who will tell me he has.

I've stated it before that I have no problem whatsoever with Jr playing out his contract and manning RF till a more suitable answer appears. His contract is up after next year, with a team buyout of 4 mil for '09, and that coincides with the possibility of the readiness of Jay Bruce.

And I think that is the approach that is being taken. What other options do we have with Jr as long as he can void any trade deal, and there haven't been too many teams expressing interest in him, due to age and injury history?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Unfortunately he has come down to earth after his great first half of the season:

First Half: .286/.390/.568
    Second Half: .235/.361/.373

Jr's July was horrid while August has been more encouraging but I worry that despite his great first half, his year-end totals will be consistent with a trend downward over his last several seasons.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Unfortunately he has come down to earth after his great first half of the season:

Jr's July was horrid while August has been more encouraging but I worry that despite his great first half, his year-end totals will be consistent with a trend downward over his last several seasons.
    But you can find even the best of players who have a mediocre to bad month during the course of the season. Consistency is sometimes a hard thing to come by. Lets see what he does overall.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But you can find even the best of players who have a mediocre to bad month during the course of the season. Consistency is sometimes a hard thing to come by. Lets see what he does overall.
    I agree with that. Unless he gets hurt tomorrow (I know, I know. I shouldn't even mention that)he's a virtual lock to surpass last year in every category.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 08-12-2007 at 09:07 PM.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

At least he's still walking. I have always thought Junior's key was walking. If he remains patient, the power will come.

He is after all 38 and in the dog days of summer Mack and Narron haven't been able to get him a breather. I am sure this has something to do with his recent swoon. When I saw him in Pittsburgh he did look a bit tired.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Here's the bigger point though. Jr's overall value as a RFer just isn't an advantage for the Reds. Among fulltime RFers, PBP metrics like UZR thinks Jr's the worst defensive right fielder in the majors (he's probably a legitimate -20 defender). Offensively, he's on pace for 91 RC if he gets 600 PA. NL average for LF will likely be somewhere around 78. Given his defense, his total impact to the RS/RA for the Reds might be something below that of an average right fielder. Thats pretty much meh.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

but I don't think he has been playing a terrible RF. Of course I'm sure there are those who will tell me he has.
    How could you have possibly known that! You must have been Karnak the Magnificent in another life! :

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    How could you have possibly known that! You must have been Karnak the Magnificent in another life! :

Rem
    Because reality seeps into our conscienciousness even though our subconscious may be rendered unconscious through existential impossibility?

Last edited by jojo; 08-12-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Has anyone else noticed that Griffey looks like he's in much better shape this season than in the past? Less of a double-chin, not quite as chubby, looks a little stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that Griffey looks like he's in much better shape this season than in the past? Less of a double-chin, not quite as chubby, looks a little stronger.
    I've noticed and if you are suggesting that it has helped his game, I'm in complete agreement.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Junior is a once in a lifetime player. Last year was an aberration, as far as his .obp is conerned. It doesn't surprise me at all that he has a had a solid season at the plate and in right field this year. I am much more surprised when he struggles. His age is not prohibitive to the performance level he has shown this year for a couple of more seasons. In fact, I believe he has an outside shot at 700 home runs if he goes to the Junior Circuit as a dh.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It was noted in the offseason that Jr. was working cardio all winter, as opposed to the weight regiment he's been on since he came to Cincy.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?