Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Davis

Senor Votto

Eric Davis

I heard on the radio today that Eric Davis was:

On the same team with Pete Rose when he broke Ty Cobb's record.

On the same team with Cal Ripken when he ended his streak at 2,632 consecutive games played.

On the same team with Mark McGwire when he broke Roger Maris' home run record.

On the same team with Barry Bonds when he broke Mark McGwire's home run record.

He's witnessed some amazing things in his career.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Eric Davis

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I heard on the radio today that Eric Davis was:

On the same team with Pete Rose when he broke Ty Cobb's record.

On the same team with Cal Ripken when he ended his streak at 2,632 consecutive games played.

On the same team with Barry Bonds when he broke Mark McGwire's home run record.

He's witnessed some amazing things in his career.
    Too bad he couldn't stay healthy. He might have made some history himself. I loved him as a Red and anywhere else he played. When he was in SF making his "farewell tour" he came to the ondeck circle in the 9th with the Reds leading... That was the only time in my life I wished that Graves would walk a guy to give Cincy a chance to cheer for the man who roamed CF for the last championship team Cincy sports had seen.

He stole 80 bases one year for Cincinnati. I still believe that is the franchise record.

My favorite player of my childhood. When I was 3 my dad caught a Davis Hr ball at spring training and gave it to me. If I could meet ANY baseball player ever it would be him.

That's pretty amazing.

I'll echo Doro's comments... Eric Davis was my favorite Reds player growing up and is to this day my all-time favorite baseball player. On top of that I've had the opportunity to meet him on a couple of occasions and he's an even better human being than he was a baseball player.

Eric Davis ruined alot of young kids swings in Cincinnati in the mid-to-late 80's. He dropped his hands almost below his waist, and of course, so did we. The only problem was that we couldn't get our hands back into the proper zone like he could. So, if you broke down the stats in Knothole baseball from '85-90, you will probably see alot more popups in the infield. I blame Eric Davis for my terrible "banana swing"
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    the man who roamed CF for the last championship team Cincy sports had seen.
    Davis played mostly left field in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He stole 80 bases one year for Cincinnati. I still believe that is the franchise record.
    Close - but the franchise record for steals is 81 set by the always popular and sometimes controversial Bob Bescher in 1911. It was the National League record until Maury Wills broke it.

Dave Collins swiped 79 bases in '80.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

This is not true. Eric played for Baltimore in 1998 after recovering from colon cancer in 1997. He joined the Cards in 1999.

I'm 28. I think almost everyone in my age range's favorite player growing up was either ED or Barry Larkin. I liked ED more but once ED left Larkin became my favorite player. I wonder if we had grass back then instead of that horrible concrete if ED may have been able to have a healthier career.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    I'm 28. I think almost everyone in my age range's favorite player growing up was either ED or Barry Larkin. I liked ED more but once ED left Larkin became my favorite player. I wonder if we had grass back then instead of that horrible concrete if ED may have been able to have a healthier career.
    I agree on this. Larkin is by far my favorite player of all time. Josh Hamilton is making a push for it though, because he signs autographs for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Eric Davis ruined alot of young kids swings in Cincinnati in the mid-to-late 80's. He dropped his hands almost below his waist, and of course, so did we. The only problem was that we couldn't get our hands back into the proper zone like he could. So, if you broke down the stats in Knothole baseball from '85-90, you will probably see alot more popups in the infield. I blame Eric Davis for my terrible "banana swing"
    No to mention Dave Parkers "cobra" style catch, where the ball would fly out of young kids gloves, when they tried to copy him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jharb74 View Post
    No to mention Dave Parkers "cobra" style catch, where the ball would fly out of young kids gloves, when they tried to copy him.
    This sounds like its own thread....What player did you emulate and how did it adversely effect your game....
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    This sounds like its own thread....What player did you emulate and how did it adversely effect your game....
    ED is my favorite athlete of all time...all sports included. I would love to have the opportunity to meet him someday. I copied everything I could from him..from the baseball swing, to patting my leg with my glove before hauling in a flyball (which I still do to this day in softball).

I think you can tell from my screen name who my all time favorite Red was...
    I am 26 years old, here are my favorite Reds (that I have seen) in order
    1. Eric Davis
    2. Barry Larkin
    3. Chris Sabo
    4. Josh Hamilton
    5. Ken Griffey Jr.
    6. Paul O'Neil
    7. Rob Dibble
    8. Adam Dunn
    9. Aaron Harang
    10. Hal Morris

Turn Off Ads?