Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What's up with Griffey's poor base running?

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

What's up with Griffey's poor base running?

In the just concluded Cubs series, Junior getting thrown out at third base in game two was the worst. He was given a double and rightfully so but becoming the 1st out of the inning when Mark Berry tried to stop him at second, Jr. kept running and was thrown out by an easy distance.

Today, after hitting a ball off the wall either Griff' wasn't hearing Billy Hatcher's instructions or misinterpreting the signals from Berry to Hamilton & Keppinger and KGJ got himself trown out trying to get back to first.

To be fair, Griffey's play in the outfield today was great! Just ask Derrick Lee. What I'm saying is this - Ken Griffey Jr. should know better than to be such an easy out(s) on the base-paths. I know, this poor base running isn't limited to Griffey this year but Geez Louise why don't the Reds have a clue? Do we just have unintelligent ballplayers?

Best Wishes,
    Vada Pinson Fan

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's up with Griffey's poor base running?

Hamilton seemed to be the blame for the one today

9 and a half out in mid-august. Plus, Griffey has played a full season.

He's probably just a wittle tired, poor guy.
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

It wasnt Griffeys fault, Hamilton admitted to the bonehead error.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    It wasnt Griffeys fault, Hamilton admitted to the bonehead error.
    Thats what I was thinking. As Chris Welch said, Hamilton seems to be MLB ready on everything except his baserunning. It takes a while for a player to get acclimated again to the speed plays happen at.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Yeah the play you mention that involved Hamilton, I sort of agree with that reason being the front runner does allow / doesn't allow the tailing runners to advance in that cirumstance. Hamilton took the blame but I repeat, Is it too difficult to allow your base coaches to do their jobs?

How many times have we seen Griffey miscalculate the distance of one of his "looked like it was going out" do a bunny hop out of the batter's box then momentarily give the "Griffey Gaze" and wind up all the way ...................... ON FIRST BASE.

Nobody care to chime in on Griff being thrown out at third; as called by the Reds announcer (won't name names) "by fifteen feet! The old adage is never get thrown out at third as the first out or third out. It just kills rallies.

Here's some of what I read at Yahoo and this link covers the entire game story. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=270816116

"The Reds tied it with four in the top of the second and could have had more if Ken Griffey Jr. had not been tagged out during a rally-killing mixup on the base paths after he singled off the wall in right center.

"We got a little fortunate there with Griffey rounding that first base bag and getting out. That could have been a really big inning there," Piniella said.

Adam Dunn hit his 32nd homer to lead off the second and the Reds loaded the bases on a walk to Scott Hatteberg, a double by Edwin Encarnacion and a walk to Livingston. Josh Hamilton was hit by a pitch to force in the second run and Jeff Keppinger's infield single made it 4-3 with the bases remaining loaded.

Griffey then hit a ball off the wall to score Livingston. But when Hamilton held up at third and Keppinger had to slow up accordingly, Griffey got caught between first and second and was tagged out easily. Brandon Phillips then grounded out to end the inning.

"With one out, you need to go halfway and if the ball falls in you score easily. (Hamilton) just got a little confused and made a mistake," Reds interim manager Pete Mackanin said.

Hamilton took the blame.

Best Wishes,
    Vada Pinson Fan

Turn Off Ads?