Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Computer Question - Writing MS-DOS Batch Commands

Computer Question - Writing MS-DOS Batch Commands

Okay, it's been ages since I've actively used anything in DOS, and I used to know how to write Batch Commands. I figured out this morning that an old DOS program that I couldn't get to work with Windows XP does work if I run the program through the Command Prompt.

Rather than go into the DOS Prompt Command Prompt and do the change directories etc., I'd like to write a Batch Command to set it up, but I've forgotten how to do it! I used to write the dang things all the time back in the day.

I'm sure there's someone here on RZ who knows the old ways - where's my DOS Yoda?

Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Computer Question - Writing MS-DOS Batch Commands

Try this, my DOS skills are pretty dead these days.

Syntax

Executes commands specified in a text file.

BATCH Inputfile [Outputfile]

Inputfile Specifies the text file that contains the list of commands to be executed.
    Outputfile If specified, contains the output of the specified commands. If not specified, the output is displayed on the screen.

Batch cannot be one of the commands included in the Inputfile.
    Examples

batch myfile.txt

In the above example, the batch command would run through each of the commands in the myfile.txt file and display the output to the screen.

Thanks, WOY. My computer guy called me and he said the best way to do it now is with Wordpad, save it as a .txt file, then rename it with a .bat extension. I did that and then had to transfer it into the appropriate folder and it works like a charm now! For ages I've been traipsing over to my old computer with Windows 95 and running this program, but now I can stay at my desk and get what I need.

You should also be able to create a shortcut for whatever dos program you are trying to run and set it to run in compatibility mode. The "Start in" line on the settings for that shortcut would reflect the directory to work out of, much like the cd command issued through the batch file.

Turn Off Ads?