Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Jorgensen

Senor Votto

Re: Ryan Jorgenson

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Camisadelgolf, why don't you come out and just use his name - Voldemort!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2. Turn Off Ads?

The move has now been announced officially, congratulations! Way to ruin our flow of minor league info though, a good forum member would politely decline the callup so he could keep that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    The move has now been announced officially, congratulations! Way to ruin our flow of minor league info though, a good forum member would politely decline the callup so he could keep that up.
    It's this reason alone that me question whether he (Voldemort) is a team player or not.

I found this article interesting...Especially the first highlighted part.

http://marlins.scout.com/2/242885.html
    Florida Marlins Top 50 Prospect Countdown #40

By Mark Doring
    Publisher
    Posted Mar 15, 2004

Coming out of college, scouts saw something in Ryan Jorgensen despite that fact that he wasnt even the starter. How do scouts feel about him after a few years in the minors? Find out in the latest edition of the Marlins Insiders Top 50 Prospect Countdown

Florida Marlins Prospect Spotlight Countdown #40

Ryan Jorgensen
    Vital Stats:
    Position: C
    DOB: May 4, 1979
    Birth Place: Kingwood, TX. Height: 6'2 Weight: 200 lbs.
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    Acquired: Traded to the Marlins from the Chicago Cubs in 2002 as part of the Matt Clement/Alfonseca/Willis trade

Overview: Ryan Jorgensen was originally a 7th round draft choice of the Chicago Cubs in the 2000 amateur draft out of college baseball powerhouse Louisiana State University. During his time at LSU, Ryan was a member of two National Championship teams. Interestingly, Jorgensen was not the starting catcher for the Tigers. Jorgensen was the backup catcher and occasional DH hitter. Unfortunately for Ryan, the Tigers had 1st Team All-American and Player of the Year finalist, Brad Cresse (now in the Diamondbacks organization). Despite his backup status, Ryan hit .302 with 4 homeruns and 23 RBI, and his defensive prowess had many scouts believing that Ryan could become a major league quality catcher.

Batting: Jorgensen has a good knowledge of the strike zone and fair discipline at the plate. He also has shown a bit of gap power, however, it has become apparent that his hitting is what is going to hold him back in his quest to become a starting catcher in the majors. Ryan has a tough time with off-speed and breaking pitches and doesn’t turn on fastballs like a major league quality hitter should. Basically, he just doesn’t make consistent enough contact.

Base running and Speed: Jorgensen has below average speed and is not a threat on the base paths

Defense: Ryan Jorgensen just might be the best defensive catcher in the minor leagues. He has a strong arm with laser like accuracy. His technique behind the plate is first rate and he has a natural ability to handle pitchers.
    Projection: Despite his excellent defensive ability, it is now obvious that Jorgensen will never hit well enough to be a starting major league catcher. He can however still become a more than adequate backup catcher if his team understands and accepts his limitations.

Estimated Time of Arrival: Jorgensen was signed by the Marlins to join their 40 man roster for spring training in 2004. While it is doubtful that he will make the team this year. There may be an opportunity in perhaps a year or two to assume the backup job as Mike Redmond gets up in age. Ryan will start the 2004 season
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I figured it were possible, but I'm not too concerned with it. I think being a (fill in creative noun here) is much worse than acting like one, and I've made an effort to avoid only being the former.

Anyway, to summarize, I feel misinterpreted and misunderstood, and I think people have confused my motivations for what I've said. There was one time I was saying something to you-know-who based on a personal level, and I was asked to stop, so I did. Since then, I've been objective. I wish you-know-who all the best, and I hope he shocks MLB by hitting .250+.
    There are some smart posters on this board that have been around for a long time. I don't think anyone has misunderstood your motivations. You've been given an awful lot of slack in this personal dispute you have going. Don't hang yourself with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    There are some smart posters on this board that have been around for a long time. I don't think anyone has misunderstood your motivations. You've been given an awful lot of slack in this personal dispute you have going. Don't hang yourself with it.
    Did you read the rest of the thread?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Did you read the rest of the thread?
    PS: You're still harping. I think everyone understands the situation; it's not complicated.

The Marlins/Cubs trade was done so the Cubs could dump Julian Taverez who didn't who wanted to remain a starter and was raising a fuss with Jim Hendry. The Cubs needed a closer and got Alfonseca in the deal along w/ Matt Clement. I'm told from a reliable source that Jose Cueto and Dontrelle Willis were in the original trade package. Supposedly, the Marlins wouldn't do the deal unless Jorgy was included. It could have had something to do with Dan Jenkins and Stan Meeks who came across the state to the Marlins office staff from the Devil Rays. Tampa had drafted Jorgy twice previously as a DFE. Now you know the rest of the story!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    PS: You're still harping. I think everyone understands the situation; it's not complicated.
    If you're pointing out that I'm harping--and I'm not claiming not to be--then I'd say you're being hypocritical.

Anyway, that's very interesting, TexRed. Thank you for pointing that out.

I think that a defensive catcher is exactly what this team needs with Ross going down.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Yea, I hope RJ enjoys his stay in the bigs for 2 weeks or however long it may last. This will most likely be the last time he plays in the majors.
    If it's only two weeks, seems like winning the lotto to me...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If it's only two weeks, seems like winning the lotto to me...
    Yup. Has to have been the greatest moment of his life. I remember reading about Charles Thomas getting called up for the first time in "Scout's Honor." Sounds pretty amazing.

Well, this isn't the first time he got the call. He did log 4 games with the Marlins in 2005. I'd assume that was more exciting than getting the 2nd call up. But, he does have a chance to get his first hit, kind of a Moonlight Graham situation. So that's exciting.

With the Reds not having any off days for nearly two weeks, Jorgenson will definitely get some playing time too. I wouldn't be surprised if his first start is on Thursday in Chicago since it'll be a day game after a night game.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat J View Post
    Well, this isn't the first time he got the call. He did log 4 games with the Marlins in 2005. I'd assume that was more exciting than getting the 2nd call up. But, he does have a chance to get his first hit, kind of a Moonlight Graham situation. So that's exciting.
    Ah, didn't know.

Turn Off Ads?