Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone want Billy Hatcher as manager next year?

Anyone want Billy Hatcher as manager next year?

I know a lot of people wanted Hatcher as our interim manager when Narron was fired. Well, on Baseball Tonight, they were showing the greatest Astros Home Runs. Hatcher was on there, and one of the guys said he could see him being a manager soon. Anyone up for him being our manager next year?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Hatcher

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I know a lot of people wanted Hatcher as our interim manager when Narron was fired. Well, on Baseball Tonight, they were showing the greatest Astros Home Runs. Hatcher was on there, and one of the guys said he could see him being a manager soon. Anyone up for him being our manager next year?
    Count me out.

I fear we'd give up far too many outs on the base paths.

He's not Wendell Kim, but he's not helping us, either.

Re: Anyone want Billy Hatcher as manager next year?

In pretty much any year other than 1990, Hatcher's 9 for 12, 6 runs scored WS would have won him MVP.

Jose Rijo just happened to show up and throw 15 & 1/3 innings of 1 ER ball.

My big fear with Hatcher is that he seems to be too much like Narron. A player's manager instead of someone with fire. I could be wrong, but that's what I gather.

I don't want anyone associated with the current team. There seems to be an accepted culture of losing and it's time to clean house.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

No, let him manage in the minors for awhile before he gets a job here.

I don't want anyone associated with the current team. There seems to be an accepted culture of losing and it's time to clean house.
    Pete is the guy that is trying to change that now, the house cleaning on the management side has begun.

No ex Red will be managing this team is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Amen

I'd actually rather they change their scouting and pitching development department.

I don't care where the next manager comes from if he can get the best performance out of the team.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

No thanks.

What creek said.
    Go Gators!

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    No thanks.

What creek said.
    I'll echo that as well.

The Reds have been trying this for years, and it hasn't worked. Clean house, and bring in some new blood.

(and while I like Tommy Hume, he needs to go as well)
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate.

Do that and you risk throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

In my career, I've seen a lot of situations where the employee / worker bee types were there, but they weren't getting any guidance from above. I've also seen situations where the manager was the right one for the job, but s/he had a disproportionately high amount of dead weight among the rank & file.

I find it hard to believe that there aren't any folks with valuable skill sets, work ethics, or knowledge of the game that wouldn't be worth keeping around. Perhaps they need to report to someone else, or step into a different role. Or maybe they need the ability to reshape the folks who report to them. Put someone on a longer leash and see what they can come up with. Or take someone who's been on a long leash and reign them in a little bit. Instead of having him or her be responsible for 15 different things, maybe s/he is better equipped to focus on 3 or 4 things and do them really well.

It's also never a bad thing to have a little bit of institutional memory around. That can be a valuable resource going forward.

I really like Billy Hatcher.

He's an intelligent communicator.

Thing is, I don't like the idea of him just jumping right in to the Major Leagues. I thought letting him manage in the interim was a good idea only because there was no risk involved.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Pete Mackanin.

Manager is the least of this organization's worries right now.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I can see Hatcher starting Norris Hopper in centerfield for 162 games if he were to become manager.

Needs minor-league experience; see where it goes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate.

Do that and you risk throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

In my career, I've seen a lot of situations where the employee / worker bee types were there, but they weren't getting any guidance from above. I've also seen situations where the manager was the right one for the job, but s/he had a disproportionately high amount of dead weight among the rank & file.

I find it hard to believe that there aren't any folks with valuable skill sets, work ethics, or knowledge of the game that wouldn't be worth keeping around. Perhaps they need to report to someone else, or step into a different role. Or maybe they need the ability to reshape the folks who report to them. Put someone on a longer leash and see what they can come up with. Or take someone who's been on a long leash and reign them in a little bit. Instead of having him or her be responsible for 15 different things, maybe s/he is better equipped to focus on 3 or 4 things and do them really well.

It's also never a bad thing to have a little bit of institutional memory around. That can be a valuable resource going forward.
    But there really isn't any aspect of the Reds game right now where I would say, "hey, that bullpen rawks, let's make Tom Hume manager!" Insert any name for Hume and any area for bullpen and I still end up with a big ole bleech.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?