Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunn: Will the Reds pick up his option for next year?

Dunn: Will the Reds pick up his option for next year?

I'm not completely convinced they will. If they can sign another decent OF'er in free agency, they might decline his option and take the draft picks if some other team signs him. What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn: Will the Reds pick up his option for next year?

I think we cant have that much money locked up in corner outfielders, and also dont want to get into another big money long term contract with someone thats not a MVP canidate or a solid pitcher.

I think if the current GM is still here we will not pick it up and build toward the future with the picks.

However, if Castellini brings in a new GM (Jockety) I think it is a sign that he is in a win now mode and Dunn stays.

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    I think if the current GM is still here we will not pick it up and build toward the future with the picks.

However, if Castellini brings in a new GM (Jockety) I think it is a sign that he is in a win now mode and Dunn stays.
    Unless he brings in 20 million also that plan wont work

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    Unless he brings in 20 million also that plan wont work
    Or you could trade Jr and pick up Dunn's option. Thats an option too.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

With Jay Bruce close to being ready, I suspect there will be a discussion among Reds management if they think Bruce could approach Dunn's production. In that case, the Reds might try and decline the option and go for the draft picks.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    With Jay Bruce close to being ready, I suspect there will be a discussion among Reds management if they think Bruce could approach Dunn's production. In that case, the Reds might try and decline the option and go for the draft picks.
    I always imagine that Bruce would be Griffey's replacement. If they do kick Dunn out of town then the outfield could look like so: Bruce, Hamilton, Griffey. Not bad but Griffey and Hamilton have the possibility of getting hurt at any time even the On-Deck circle. So your outfield looks like this: Bruce, Hopper, Freel. Not so pretty. Keep Dunn and get rid of Junior then you'll have Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce. If Hamilton gets injured then its: Dunn, Freel, Bruce. Not as bad as it would be if you lost Hamilton and Junior. Until they can get a young stud outfielder besides Bruce then I'm against letting Dunn go.

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    Or you could trade Jr and pick up Dunn's option. Thats an option too.
    Its an option but Dunn is the easier of the 2 to get rid of and will require a long term deal worth more than i care to spend on a single guy thats not a pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I always imagine that Bruce would be Griffey's replacement. If they do kick Dunn out of town then the outfield could look like so: Bruce, Hamilton, Griffey. Not bad but Griffey and Hamilton have the possibility of getting hurt at any time even the On-Deck circle. So your outfield looks like this: Bruce, Hopper, Freel. Not so pretty. Keep Dunn and get rid of Junior then you'll have Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce. If Hamilton gets injured then its: Dunn, Freel, Bruce. Not as bad as it would be if you lost Hamilton and Junior. Until they can get a young stud outfielder besides Bruce then I'm against letting Dunn go.
    You are correct about Griffey; I am not sure you can say Hamilton is injury-prone just yet. He has suffered a couple of injuries this year, but they could have happened to any outfielder. Our outfield depth is rather thin at AAA right now. I am not saying I want to trade Dunn; I realize we need him until we get enough help from the minor league system. I have always been for signing him to a short extension of about 13-15 million a year for 2-3 years. I wonder if that will be possible in the future though. I have heard some people post that we would need 16-17 million a year to re-sign him. Dunn is a consistant 40 hr 90 rbi bat, and I would not be for trading him unless we get a comparable return. I was simply saying they might decline the option if the Reds think they will be unable to extend Dunn. I also think Bruce is Griffey's replacement; I have heard he is a natural right fielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    Its an option but Dunn is the easier of the 2 to get rid of and will require a long term deal worth more than i care to spend on a single guy thats not a pitcher.
    Problem is-They won't spend all that money on 1 pitcher.
    So we will end up without the 40 hr guy and a few over-the -hill pitchers.

This outfield is getting crowded like it did a couple years ago. Maybe we should trade somebody thats not a really great player, and try to get a good middle reliever. I don't have huge hopes for what we can get, because the market for pitching is intense. I would love to see a hard throwing youngster, or an fairly established veteran though.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Problem is-They won't spend all that money on 1 pitcher.
    So we will end up without the 40 hr guy and a few over-the -hill pitchers.
    Yea sad but true, but we can always hope

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    This outfield is getting crowded like it did a couple years ago. Maybe we should trade somebody thats not a really great player, and try to get a good middle reliever. I don't have huge hopes for what we can get, because the market for pitching is intense. I would love to see a hard throwing youngster, or an fairly established veteran though.
    We did that in 2006. We ended up with Bray and Majewski for 2 position players. Also, it is difficult to say the outfield is getting crowded. We have Griffey whose contract expires in 2008. We expect Bruce will take over for him. We also have Dunn who has a contract set to expire in 2008 or 2009. We have no one who would be an equivalent outfielder. There is Dickerson in AAA, but he will simply be a fourth outfielder like Hopper.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 08-15-2007 at 12:58 AM.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    This outfield is getting crowded like it did a couple years ago.
    With who Jason Ellison and Norris Hopper?

I think that once Hamilton gets some more experience he would be an equilivant replacment for Dunn. He provides defense which makes up for the fact he won't hit 45 homers a year. Atleast I don't think he will. Does anybody else think that the Reds might get a discount to sign Hamilton long tern once he goes to arbitration? I think that he wouldn't ask for a load of money. Everybody knows what happened the last time he got money? My point was that the Reds have too many bench level outfielders. We have 3 starters. Those are Griffey, Dunn, Hamilton. That is terrific. After that is the log jam. We have Hopper, Freel, Bruce, Dickerson, and Stubbs might not be far off too. Even though he is one of my favorite Reds, I don't expect to see Freel here next year.

Turn Off Ads?