Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Courier Journal - Flurry of Roster Moves at Louisville

Courier Journal - Flurry of Roster Moves at Louisville

Here's a tidbit from Sunday's Louisville Courier Journal talking about the roster juggling that's been going on between the various minor league teams.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Bats' faces keep changing amid flurry of roster moves Past 11 days have seen 24 changes
    By Michael Grant

Louisville manager Rick Sweet might be feeling dizzy and might need name tags.

From July 30 through Thursday, the Bats made 24 roster moves involving 17 players. The flurry began with right-handed pitcher Tom Shearn, who was sent to Class A Sarasota on July 30. (He was recalled Aug. 3.) It ended with RHP Todd Coffey being optioned from the parent Cincinnati Reds and RHP Steve Kelly being sent down to Double-A Chattanooga.

"It's part of the business at Triple-A," Sweet said. "We are not the priority. The priority is the major league club. We need to make adjustments. We need to stay tough mentally, go out and play well. Even though we've got all these changes I like this ballclub.

"We have some very good young players. We've moved some players up. They're getting an opportunity to play at this level and getting an opportunity to get better. That's why they are here."

It's hard to gauge what effect this has had on the win-loss record. During the span with all the transactions, the Bats went 4-6 (.400). Their overall record was 57-61 (.483).

Sweet said he has pushed hard for a young roster. Louisville has eight players who are 24 years old or younger.

"They are going to make mistakes," Sweet said. "They are going to have mental lapses. But they are here to learn. They are learning. They are here to get better. I like some of these guys. And a lot of them are going to be back next year. And they're going to be that much better for being here."

Sweet said Cincinnati general manager Wayne Krivsky has "been very good at communicating" with him. That hasn't always been Sweet's experience in other organizations, he said.

"I've been other places where the communication is not good," Sweet said. "I have no complaints with Wayne and the major league club."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Courier Journal - Flurry of Roster Moves at Louisville

"I've been other places where the communication is not good," Sweet said. "I have no complaints with Wayne and the major league club."
    Evidently Rick hasn't been to Redszone, or the Enquirer and Posts office. Because the opposite is being said about Wayne and communication.

But if I had to choose who gets the short end of the stick when it comes to communication, I'd rather it be us then him.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Very true woy. I just wish that we weren't in the dark as much as we are as fans.

That quote jumped out at me too. I think that WK's MO is to keep his cards close to his vest. It sounds like there's communication within the organization and I think that's important. It will be interesting to see what, if any, additional changes are made throughout the organization this off-season. It does seem that our minor league system is starting to gain some strength, but I'll defer to those who have studied it much, much more than I have.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    That quote jumped out at me too. I think that WK's MO is to keep his cards close to his vest. It sounds like there's communication within the organization and I think that's important. It will be interesting to see what, if any, additional changes are made throughout the organization this off-season. It does seem that our minor league system is starting to gain some strength, but I'll defer to those who have studied it much, much more than I have.
    Even after last year the farm system was looking good. With the emergence of Cueto into a top 10 starting pitching prospect (top 10 pitchers, not top 10 overall prospect) and the recent draft providing lots of depth and talent the Reds system is looking very strong in my opinion. I would definately rate it among the Top 10 systems in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Even after last year the farm system was looking good. With the emergence of Cueto into a top 10 starting pitching prospect (top 10 pitchers, not top 10 overall prospect) and the recent draft providing lots of depth and talent the Reds system is looking very strong in my opinion. I would definately rate it among the Top 10 systems in baseball.
    I think one of the unheralded feats has been the regular grabbing of other team's players via minor trades or, more so, via waiver pickups and stocking players throughout our minor league systems. Am I wrong in that impression?

High five!

I think one of the unheralded feats has been the regular grabbing of other team's players via minor trades or, more so, via waiver pickups and stocking players throughout our minor league systems. Am I wrong in that impression?
    I don't think you're wrong at all.

I think that's the biggest part of Wayne's plan (that other folks here don't think exists / is working).

I think the big thing has been solid drafting more than anything else that has boosted the Reds farm system. In my mind, all of the Reds top prospects outside of Joey Votto have all been brought into the system since 2004 when Dan Obrien took over.

High five!

I think the big thing has been solid drafting more than anything else that has boosted the Reds farm system. In my mind, all of the Reds top prospects outside of Joey Votto have all been brought into the system since 2004 when Dan Obrien took over.
    I agree with that too. But I think Wayne has augmented a lot of the "top" talent with "pretty good" talent.

I think Jim Bowden might have been too open with the public. I'm perfectly fine with Wayne keeping a tight lip.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I agree with that too. But I think Wayne has augmented a lot of the "top" talent with "pretty good" talent.
    I think Krivsky has added a lot of depth, but I do hope some of his picks turn out to be "top" talent. There are some possibilities. Todd Frazier looks like one to me. Maybe Roenicke. Maybe Stubbs if he starts hitting consistently next year. Some others are so young it's hard to tell.

Next year the Reds will likely have a top 5 draft pick in the first round. I do hope that he picks a "top" talent with that pick. Depth is great, but there's nothing like a star.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think Jim Bowden might have been too open with the public. I'm perfectly fine with Wayne keeping a tight lip.
    I agree. Bowden is way too public. I like that Krivsky doesn't give us false hope. Even if I don't agree with some of Krviskys moves I still think he runs the Reds organization with much more class than a guy who runs around saying that he has a big name trade in the next 24 hours.

You guys like Rick Sweet?

I liked him in Portland. He was good with the fans. The players liked him, I thought.

I don't know much about his player-development as I have no avenue for evaluating that. I probably attended about a dozen games a year while he was here.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

...and that's only been 3 years and 2 months since the '04 draft. That's why fans need to understand that it takes years to evaluate a G.M. But, they won't.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?