Turn Off Ads?

Thread: optoutprescreen.com

optoutprescreen.com

Has anyone ever used the above mentioned site to reduce the number of credit card applications you receive in the mail? If so, have you noticed a difference? I normally don't get too many, but ever since I signed up for American and United Airlines mileage programs, the offers have been coming in more frequently.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: optoutprescreen.com

Mrs. U signed herself up for that a few years back. Depending on who you ask, I was either too lazy to sign up or holding myself out of the process as a control for the experiment.

Before she signed up, between us, we got 2-3 credit card offers a week. Now, I get 2-3 credit card offers a month. She has probably gotten 2-3 total since signing up. I would have to admit that it works.

You may have to opt-out individually with companies that you do business with, like the airlines you mentioned, over and above this process. I know that's the case with the do-not-call list.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 08-15-2007 at 10:20 PM.

For a Level Playing Field

Credit card applications are the only mail I get that are not bills. Kind of makes me feel good to get something in the mailbox that does not require me to make a payment. Therefore, I like to get them! Not that I have ever sent one back or even opened it up. Just a simple tearing in half and a sigh of relief that I don't owe someone.

My wife and I signed up for this a couple of years ago and we hardly get any solicitations for credit cards now. It has made our mailbox much lighter. If you do get these you should shred them up. There usually is a lot of personal info on these things and identity theives loved to get them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?