Thread: All-Time Cincinnati Reds Team

Senor Votto

All-Time Cincinnati Reds Team

Catcher- Johnny Bench
    First Base- Tony Perez
    Second Base- Joe Morgan
    Short Stop- Dave Concepcion
    Third Base- Pete Rose
    Outfield- George Foster, Frank Robinson, Ken Griffey Jr.

Bench- Eric Davis, Adam Dunn, Brandon Phillips, Barry Larkin, Ted Kluszewski

I'm having a hard time coming up with a rotation but some of my starters would be:
    Tom Seaver, Joe Nuxhall, Jose Rijo, Aaron Harang, Tom Browning

Bullpen:
    Rob Dibble, Norm Charlton, Pedro Borbon

I'm drawing a blank on the rest of the bullpen but anywho post your All-Time Reds Team

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: All-Time Cincinnati Reds Team

Umm, there's no way that Concepcion should be on that team ahead of Larkin. Both very good defensive players and Larkin was the best hitting SS of the 1990's.

Brandon Phillips after less than two years? No way, he's never been on an All Star team or won a gold glove.

I watched Concepcion and Larkin play; so I guess I have a pretty good idea on this subject. Larkin was a better hitter, but Concepcion was much better at defense. The fact that I saw Concepcion play tells you how old I am.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    Umm, there's no way that Concepcion should be on that team ahead of Larkin. Both very good defensive players and Larkin was the best hitting SS of the 1990's.

Brandon Phillips after less than two years? No way, he's never been on an All Star team or won a gold glove.
    This is my opinion your welcome to make your own. But what other 2nd baseman is better than Phillips aside from Joe Morgan

C- Bench
    1B-Perez
    2B-Morgan
    SS-Larkin
    3B-Rose
    OF-Pinson
    OF-Robinson
    OF-Davis

P-Maloney
    P-Rijo
    P-Soto
    P-Derringer
    P-Rixey

How's this for a team of 25 . . . * denotes MLB HOF . . .

C - Bench*, Lombardi*
    1B - Perez*, Kluszewski
    2B - Morgan*, McPhee*
    SS - Concepcion, Larkin
    3B - Rose
    LF - Robinson*, Foster
    CF - Roush*, Pinson
    RF - Griffey
    P - Rixey*, Maloney, Blackwell, Vander Meer, Soto, Browning, Rijo, Nolan, O'Toole, Gullett, Hahn

My team: (not necessarily the best player but the guys I would want on MY all time Reds team.

C-Bench
    1B-Casey
    2B-Morgan
    SS-Larkin
    3B-Rose
    LF-Davis
    CF-Griffey
    RF- Frank Robinson

SPs: Soto, Harang, Rijo, Browning, Jackson

Bullpen: THE NASTY BOYS + Brantley, Shaw, Graves

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    This is my opinion your welcome to make your own. But what other 2nd baseman is better than Phillips aside from Joe Morgan
    You're right. But this is a discussion board and I'm just interested as to why you think Davey was a better player than Larkin.

And as for Phillips my argument is that he hasn't been here long enough to earn a spot. Bret Boone accomplished more as a 2B than Phillips has thus far. But I probably wouldn't put a backup 2B on the team. Maybe Lenny Harris as a utility guy. Also Todd Walker, in my opinion, had a better 2 year run than Phillips. But I'm a big OBP guy so I'm somewhat biased against Phillips.

Debate is what makes these boards fun.
    Last edited by UC_Ken; 08-15-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Senor Votto

You're right. But this is a discussion board and I'm just interested as to why you think Davey was a better player than Larkin.
    They were both great short stops but I think if Ozzie Smith didn't do a few back flips then Davey would've had more Gold Gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    They were both great short stops but I think if Ozzie Smith didn't do a few back flips then Davey would've had more Gold Gloves.
    I think the same can be said of Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I watched Concepcion and Larkin play; so I guess I have a pretty good idea on this subject. Larkin was a better hitter, but Concepcion was much better at defense. The fact that I saw Concepcion play tells you how old I am.
    Is that why most people thought Concepcion's first name started with an E because every box score always had E Concepcion? Davy was a great short stop but he wasnt even in the same league as Larkin and yes i saw both players. Larkin was a much better hitter, as good or better fielder and a better base runner.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Davey's OPS is under .700. Barry's is over .800. There is no way that Davey was that much better than Barry in the field to make up this difference. Barry was an elite player in the field and at the plate, Davey was only a difference maker in the field. Of course I'm too young to have seen Davey play so my opinion is based on numbers.

Phillips should have been an allstar the past 2 years. He would have been on any large market team. I see him winning the gold glove this year. I don't know if he would be on my team either. I just wanted to point that out.

My All-time team
    C Bench
    1B Perez
    2B Morgan
    SS Larkin
    3B Rose
    OF Davis
    OF Griffey
    OF Foster
    UTIL Conception
    Bench Big Klu, Robinson, McPhee, Lombardi, Pinson
    SP Vander Meere
    SP Browning
    SP Rijo
    SP Rixey
    SP Soto

Bullpen Harang, Maloney, Dibble, Shaw, Charlton, Jackson
    (Some starters will work out of the pen)
    Thats my 25 man roster
    Didn't include Seaver because he spent a majority of his career elsewhere, and despite Graves amount of Saves I can't include someone who gives their own fans the Byrd.

I just think of it in terms of this..... was Davey ever even close to being considered for an MVP award? no

Turn Off Ads?