Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone know Dayton?

Anyone know Dayton?

I may go to a show at the Canal Street Tavern next month. Anyone know what part of Dayton it is in? Or is it a pretty good venue?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone know Dayton?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I may go to a show at the Canal Street Tavern next month. Anyone know what part of Dayton it is in? Or is it a pretty good venue?
    It's in downtown Dayton, right around the corner from 5/3rd field. If there's a ball game that night, and you haven't been to 5/3rd then I'd highly recomend trying to take in a game in addition to your show.

I've been to Canal Street exactly once. It was 15 years ago, and I was pretty well three sheets to the wind once I got there so I can't help you with whether it's a good venue or not. I seem to remember it being an "intimate" setting FWIW.

Canal Street Tavern is a good place for a show. I figured I didn't even need to go to toddsnider.net to figure out who you were going to see.

I might try to make it to one of those nights.

From the canal street website:

I believe that 5/3rd is behind the photographer for this shot, but I'm not 100% on that.

actually, I think 5/3rd is on the right.

I've been to Canal Street a few times way back in the mid '90s. Back then, it was the top spot to watch live, local, original artists. They had old church pews arranged facing the stage, and I'd say it was very intimate. I still remember a joke written on a bathroom wall there, because I had never seen it before.

Q. If Elvis was such a God to so many people, then why was he buried in his own back yard like some household pet?
    A. Because he was too ####### fat to flush down the toilet.

Canal Street now has a neighbor, the Southern Belle, which used to be located in the Oregon District. Down the street further is 5/3 Field on the north side of the street and Brixx on the south side. It's a pretty nice place to hang out before and after Dragons' games.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    actually, I think 5/3rd is on the right.
    Not possible, because that street is one-way going to the east. The stadium would be behind the photographer's right shoulder.

I'm in Dayton fairly often (I love CST, btw), and I noticed a lot of motorcycles. Apparently, in Montgomery County, you can't get a DUI while on a motorcycle (because they figure only the drivers are getting hurt).

Fifth Third Field is a block to the right of the photographer.

Canal Street Tavern is at the corner of 1st and Patterson, looking west down first street. Whereas the stadium is pretty much at the corner of Monument and Patterson, a block farther north.

Canal Street today is the same as it's always been. Small, dingy, and authentic. It still caters very much to the mid-90's indie scene, so on most nights, you're looking at a mid 20's - late 30's crowd. But it all really depends on the bands.

The Southern Belle, next door, is a pretty nice place. About 4 full size pool tables and a small bar. Nice place to hang out.

I've been to lots of shows at Canal Street, although my band doesnt really fit that indie vibe enough to be successful there. We stick to the Nite Owl and the Pearl.
    Last edited by Brutus_the_Red; 08-16-2007 at 05:14 PM.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    Canal Street Tavern is a good place for a show. I figured I didn't even need to go to toddsnider.net to figure out who you were going to see.

It was that easy, huh?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Canal Street is a good place to go to a concert. I have seen Tim Reynolds there twice in the past few years. It's very small so there really isn't a bad seat in the house. Definitely a little old but for a concert it's not a big deal.

If you're under 21 they do charge a cover in addition to your concert ticket (at least for the shows I went to). Also, I think for both of my concerts they had some kind of policy about you have to buy 2 drinks or something....not sure about that though but I thought I remembered that (not sure how it can be enforced though). Also, at least for Tim, if you stuck around after the show it's pretty easy to meet the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Apparently, in Montgomery County, you can't get a DUI while on a motorcycle (because they figure only the drivers are getting hurt).
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    Huh?
    When Daytonians told me, that's what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    When Daytonians told me, that's what I said.
    Well, they were definitely wrong. I've lived in this area my whole life, and that is definitely not a law...

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    Well, they were definitely wrong. I've lived in this area my whole life, and that is definitely not a law...
    I think I'll take your word on this subject over some guys at a bar.

Turn Off Ads?