Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Reds trying to find a place for Votto?

Senor Votto

The Reds trying to find a place for Votto?

Waiver rumblings

July may be in our rearview mirror, but the hunt for bodies to trade for goes on -- not real successfully, but it goes on nonetheless. "We've been watching the waiver wire with bated interest," said an executive of one team. "But nobody is letting any pitching worth a [hoot] get through." As always, we've been trying to maintain a list of players who have made it through waivers this month -- and those who haven't. Since hundreds of players have hit the waiver wire, we're confining this extremely partial list to players whose names were filling up Rumor Central before the trade deadline:

Pitchers who have cleared: Steve Trachsel, Jose Contreras, Josh Towers, Odalis Perez.

Position players who have cleared: Troy Glaus, Jack Wilson, Pat Burrell, Dmitri Young, Omar Vizquel, Jeff Conine, Mike Piazza, Wily Mo Pena, Jason Lane.

Pitchers who were claimed and withdrawn: Jon Garland, Javier Vazquez, Dan Wheeler, Chad Qualls, David Riske, Kei Igawa, Matt Thornton.

Position players who were claimed and withdrawn: Miguel Tejada, Mark Loretta, Jacque Jones, Scott Hatteberg, Richie Sexson, Mike Lamb, Corey Patterson.
    Another one from the ORG. This one I like. I think they're trying to find a spot for Votto on the team and maybe Cantu. This is the type of thing I like to see. Get rid of the old farts and take a step into the future.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds trying to find a place for Votto?

Conine and Hatteberg have done well this year, but their time is nearing an end. Conine should retire this year, and Hatteberg has one year left on his contract. I am glad the Reds are trying to move both of them; Votto has nothing left to prove in Louisville.

I bet we will see Votto in LF next year.

Well we can't blame Wayne for not trading Conine I guess, since nobody wanted him.

I'm not so sure about Votto - his numbers in AAA are so similar to Hatteberg's ML numbers it is crazy:

Votto (AAA): .301 AVG / .391 OBP / .471 SLG
    Hatteberg (MLB): .305 AVG / .390 OBP / .474 SLG

Granted Hatteberg only has to face RHP. But at this point I don't see Votto as an immediate upgrade over Hatteberg at the MLB level. I wouldn't complain if he got called up but a .862 OPS isn't beating down the door by any means.

Conine for cash? Any takers?

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Prf15 View Post
    I bet we will see Votto in LF next year.
    Why? He's the only Major League ready 1st base prospect the Reds have. Keep him at 1st.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    If they'll give money for Chad Moeller there has to be someone who would do that

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    If they'll give money for Chad Moeller there has to be someone who would do that
    Right you are.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    If anyone wanted him he would not have passed through waivers. So unless it is the Reds sending the cash out with Conine he's not going anywhere.

I wonder who claimed Hatte....

And I wander if negotiations ever went past some 26 yr old scrub for Hatte.

Next year, Votto to left, Hatteberg/Cantu on 1B, Dunn gone. When Bruce is ready, Bruce to RF, Griffey to Left, Votto to first. Hatteberg can be traded at the deadline. I hate to see Dunn go, but it's a plan that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Next year, Votto to left, Hatteberg/Cantu on 1B, Dunn gone. When Bruce is ready, Bruce to RF, Griffey to Left, Votto to first. Hatteberg can be traded at the deadline. I hate to see Dunn go, but it's a plan that makes sense.
    You have this all figured out huh? I still hold hope that some good pitching can be gotten in the offseason (Eric Gagne, Scott Linebrink???), then we won't have to get rid of Dunn. Well, cancel Linebrink.

I really about Votto ever plays for the reds at this rate. There has to be something else to the story. Everyone one says hands are like stone but no one can confirm it. what the heck is the deal!

Ya dump the guy who's actually under 30. I'm sorry but Dunn's 13 mil when Jason Jennings and his 6.86 ERA...
    "He'll probably get three-year offers in the $22 million to $27 million range," said a National League scout who watched Jennings cough up a two-run lead in the sixth inning and fall to 2-8 in the Houston Astros' 6-3 loss at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday night.

So even at the low end were expected to get 2 SPs whos ERA is in the Eric Milton territory. Youre not going to get equal Dunn production by spending on FA this year.

BTW I pulled the quote from http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Thats horrible for a below average pitcher. I think its time for a 100 million dollar salary cap for every team.

Turn Off Ads?