Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Stanton still here?

Re: Why is he still here?

Stanton had an effective stretch in the middle of the season, but he can no longer consistantly get men out. Hitters are fouling off his best pitches now where previously they missed them. It is very difficult for Wayne to get rid of elderly relievers, however. You are correct about Majewski. He did well last night and was effective for 1 inning today. He is a player I hope can comeback, along with Guardado. It may be the end of both of them after this year, however.

2. Turn Off Ads?

WK cant get rid of him because he is the one who brought him in. The guy doesn't have it anymore ...period.
    Reds fan since 1970

I believe this is the last year we have Majewski signed for; I would not think WK would re-sign him unless he lowers his era. I have a small amount of faith he will do better Chi-Town Red, but I fear his injuries have finished him as an effective reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I believe this is the last year we have Majewski signed for; I would not think WK would re-sign him unless he lowers his era. I have a small amount of faith he will do better Chi-Town Red, but I fear his injuries have finished him as an effective reliever.
    No. Majewski is not a free agent after this year I think. I think he goes to arbitration. They won't just let him go if it is arbitration.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    No. Majewski is not a free agent after this year I think. I think he goes to arbitration. They won't just let him go if it is arbitration.
    If he has a era over 12.00 when he goes to arbitration, I would be very surprised if the Reds offer him arbitration.

*bump*

Again I ask why is he still here when we could go with Macbeth or another younger arm who may actually have long term promise?

I am glad stanton helped the cause tonight

maybe they have not seen enough of stanton yet, he needs more exposure possibly?

Re: I am glad stanton helped the cause tonight

They need to get rid of him. He's done. Get him out of town before we have to put up with him for not 1 but 2 more years after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    They need to get rid of him. He's done. Get him out of town before we have to put up with him for not 1 but 2 more years after this.
    His deal is up after next season. At first I thought Krivsky was trying to display him and trade him but who else is foolish enough to take him? The most frustrating thing about watching this team for me is feeling like their most competitive team isnt on the field.
    Last edited by Orenda; 08-19-2007 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    His deal is up after next season. At first I thought Krivsky was trying to display him and trade him but who else is foolish enough to take him? The most frustrating thing about watching this team for me is feeling like their most competitive team isnt on the field.
    Someone said that with a certain number of appearances Stanton's option year becomes guarenteed.

*Edit* http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...47&postcount=1

140 games between 07-08.

He's about 2/5th of the way there now at 54. Do we really want to risk any more money on him doing anything next year after a year of being even worse than he was with Washington?
    Last edited by Slyder; 08-19-2007 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Someone said that with a certain number of appearances Stanton's option year becomes guarenteed.

*Edit* http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...47&postcount=1

140 games between 07-08.

He's about 2/5th of the way there now at 54. Do we really want to risk any more money on him doing anything next year after a year of being even worse than he was with Washington?
    Wow and I disliked his contract before. I wouldn't want to risk the money, but its not my money. BCast has already ate part of Larue's deal and Tony Womack's deal. (anyone else I forgot?) He also had the misfortune of having to pay Mr. Milton. I think he will want to get whatever value he can out of Stanton. The question he and Krivsky will need to answer is will Stanton have a positive impact on the franchise/business, or are they paying someone money that will have a negative effect on wins and loss totals, which could effect $attendance$. Even if he plays back to his norms next year Im not sure having him on the roster is going to help the reds in the long run. Some people argue Weathers, Stanton, and Guardado are good influences on the younger relievers. If that is the case fine, but why pay all the player development, minor and major league coaches?

Re: Why is Stanton still here?

Only thing I can think of as to why Stanton is still here is because of the fact they already ate some contracts already so they dont want too much red ink going into this fiscal year so they are waiting for the next to dump Stanton on the 08 books to lessen the blow. I just hope theyve told Mackanin to cut it out with Stanton as often just in case next year he actually shows something and they have some flexibility with that 140 game deal.

He does have a fairly large contract next year. I have heard it may be in the range of 3/3.5 million. I would appreciate any further information on that. I believe Krivsky was putting him out there in the hopes his performance would improve, and he could trade him. Sadly, the reverse seems to be happening.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

From the Fay:

This loss was remarkably similar to other one on the road trip. It was a close game until Mike Stanton entered the equation.

He gave up a three-run, two-out home run to Geoff Jenkins that made it 6-1.

“That was the ball game,” Stanton said. “If I do my job and get Jenkins out, I don't think there's any doubt we win that ball game.”

The Reds were not good offensively. They left 13 runners on base.

But, as Stanton said, this was a winnable game. In his previous outing, Stanton gave up four runs without retiring a batter. Since coming off the disabled list on July 4, Stanton’s ERA is 8.15.

“It's one of those runs – not to make any excuses because there are none,” Stanton said. “If I make a good pitch, they foul it off. They’re just not missing mistakes . . . it's just a shame.”

With Stanton and Eddie Guardado both struggling, middle relief is a major problem right now. With good young arms like Marcus McBeth and Brad Salmon at Triple-A, you wonder how long the Reds will stick with the current bullpen makeup.
    It's pretty evident Stanton just doesn't have it anymore. If you end up having to rely on guys "missing mistakes", then you're in some serious trouble when you only throw mid-80s "heat".

I could understand Krivksy earlier in the year allowing Stanton to stay and work through his problems in hopes he would become another Weathers (remember all those people calling for his head last year?), but this has gone on long enough. He's getting paid either way - I say pay him to not lose games, rather than the current situation.

I agree whole hardedly.

Turn Off Ads?