Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Stanton still here?

Re: guess who prevented the sweep?

He currently has a 5.93 ERA. If we are going to unload vitriol on Coffey for his high ERA (and we did), we need to hold Stanton to the same standard. Unfortunately, Stanton is signed to a 2 year, 3.5 million yearly contract. It will be very hard to get rid of him. I would prefer to simply have him on the roster and never use him unless we are in a blow-out. I could be wrong about that contract, so I would request precise details.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree Stanton is more than 90% of the time a very dependable arm out of the bullpen..

If you look at the stats.. mike stanton has only had 5 bad games.. granted they were terrible(giving up more than 1 run), but you take out those 5 games out of the 54 games he has pitched.. His ERA is 2.6.... and his bad games have been more the rarity than his good games.. He has given up 17 of his 29 ER in less than 3 of his 44 innings pitched.. soo when he is having those bad games, dont you think it falls on the pitching coach for not reckognizing maybe it isnt stantons night? I know some should fall on him b/c he should know as well, but as competitive as he is sometimes a 3rd party must step in with a reasonable head to help make a decision.. something pohle is afraid to do..

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    what year was this?
    Stanton has given up 7 runs in his last 2 outtings. But he's given up runs in consecutive outtings only 2 other times all year: a three game span in mid-July and 2 games in early May.

April: 12 App, 7 IP, 4 ER. He had one outting in which he gave up 3 runs. He allowed only one run in the other 11 appearances. Streak of 6 IP, 1 ER.

May: 14 App, 11.1 IP, 7 ER. One outting of 3 runs and no one retired. Streak of 11 IP, 4 ER.

June: 9 App, 7.2 IP, 2 ER. Allowed one run in his first appearance in the month then went 7 appearances before allowing the 2nd run of the month.

July: 12 App, 9.2 IP, 8 ER. 1 appearance with 4 runs allowed. Streaks of 5 IP, 2 ER and 4 IP, 2 ER

August: 8 App, 8 IP, 8 ER. Streak of 7 IP, 1 ER.

After a VERY good June, his last 2 months have been pretty bad overall. Even so, his bad outtings tend to be surrounded by many appearances with few runs allowed. He's had 5 bad appearances in which his line is 1.2 IP, 17 ER. Now that's TERRIBLE in anyone's book. I'm simply pointing out that he's has fairly good streaks in which he allows few runs.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Stanton has given up 7 runs in his last 2 outtings. But he's given up runs in consecutive outtings only 2 other times all year: a three game span in mid-July and 2 games in early May.

April: 12 App, 7 IP, 4 ER. He had one outting in which he gave up 3 runs. He allowed only one run in the other 11 appearances. Streak of 6 IP, 1 ER.

May: 14 App, 11.1 IP, 7 ER. One outting of 3 runs and no one retired. Streak of 11 IP, 4 ER.

June: 9 App, 7.2 IP, 2 ER. Allowed one run in his first appearance in the month then went 7 appearances before allowing the 2nd run of the month.

July: 12 App, 9.2 IP, 8 ER. 1 appearance with 4 runs allowed. Streaks of 5 IP, 2 ER and 4 IP, 2 ER

August: 8 App, 8 IP, 8 ER. Streak of 7 IP, 1 ER.

After a VERY good June, his last 2 months have been pretty bad overall. Even so, his bad outtings tend to be surrounded by many appearances with few runs allowed. He's had 5 bad appearances in which his line is 1.2 IP, 17 ER. Now that's TERRIBLE in anyone's book. I'm simply pointing out that he's has fairly good streaks in which he allows few runs.

that last paragraph looks familiar.. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    that last paragraph looks familiar.. hehe
    We were on the same line of thought at almost the exact same time, weren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    We were on the same line of thought at almost the exact same time, weren't we?
    quite interesting.. but we both seem to agree that his bad outings are far fewer than his reasonably successful outings, and he still has some play on a major league team.. am i correct with that thought?

With the exception of June, he has got progressively worse. He had an ERA of 4.93 in April, 5.56 in May, 7.45 in July, and 9.00 in August. I can barely wait to see the disastrous September he will have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    quite interesting.. but we both seem to agree that his bad outings are far fewer than his reasonably successful outings, and he still has some play on a major league team.. am i correct with that thought?
    I agree with you. He has some VERY good streaks of few runs allowed.

AmarilloRed also has a point, though. Stanton's ERA is getting progressively worse and that should be a concern to the team. My point (and your's as well) was that he's not a guy who gives up a run every appearance but rather one that has a really bad appearance every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    With the exception of June, he has got progressively worse. He had an ERA of 4.93 in April, 5.56 in May, 7.45 in July, and 9.00 in August. I can barely wait to see the disastrous September he will have.
    Oh man, I guess we should extrapolate on everyones trends..

Dunn has had up months then down months, then up months all year.. soo he will hit .230 or lower if it is anything like last year.. with 3 home runs..

BPhill will be consistant, and based on his current data JKepp will hit close to 400..

Lets be serious here.. you cant always look at someones card, and say they wont hit 40 homers instead of 35, to extrapolate and tell me there will be ZERO change from the trend is as stupid as they come..

Re: Why is Stanton still here?

Stanton has had 1 good month. He didn't get a era of 5.93 by accident. We can only go by past performance, and then make assumptions from that. I have seen nothing from him that makes me think he will improve in the future. However, I will watch his future progress, and hope you are right that he can straighten himself out. He has consistantly pitched bad this year, and you can't sugarcoat that.

Stanton has had 1 good month. He didn't get a era of 5.93 by accident. We can only go by past performance, and then make assumptions from that. I have seen nothing from him that makes me think he will improve in the future. However, I will watch his future progress, and hope you are right that he can straighten himself out. He has consistantly pitched bad this year, and you can't sugarcoat that.

But he has looked good in June, except that was against guys who were not hitting very well.

He looked awful on Saturday. Watching was painful, as you knew if was not a matter of "if" but of "when"

I thought Stanton only had one more year where did 2009 option come from?

He currently has a 5.93 ERA. If we are going to unload vitriol on Coffey for his high ERA (and we did), we need to hold Stanton to the same standard. Unfortunately, Stanton is signed to a 2 year, 3.5 million yearly contract. It will be very hard to get rid of him. I would prefer to simply have him on the roster and never use him unless we are in a blow-out. I could be wrong about that contract, so I would request precise details.
    Penny wise and Pound foolish
    The problem with this is that you are wasting a MLB roster spot and keeping someone who is more deserving down on the farm just because someone (WK??) made a mistake and signed him to a long term contract that they were unable to unload on any 2007 contender even after they polished up his numbers before the trade deadline

So, McBeth or Salmon rot another season in L'ville, "we can do this to them because they have options" is the standard reply on this board.

Here is the flaw in that logic. It is also probably the reason why Coffey was signed to a new deal "before they had to" as many here have also complained about in other threads.

Put yourself in the shoes of the athlete and agent. You have proven that you can compete at this level.
    You both know that the only way you are going to get better and comfortable with MLB hitting is to pitch to MLB hitters. So, you get sent down a few times, (which also affects your income adversely) and oh, Pete doesn't know why this is happening and WK is off playing golf.
    You watch Eddie, Majic and Stanton suck while you are back riding the bus. At some point your agent goes to the FO and says, "either move me up or lose me. If you continue to keep me down in the minors we will not be signing any contract with the Reds when this on expires."

We are going to lose some quality young arms in favor of trying to get our monies worth out of old/injured arms that have had all of spring training and 3/4's of a season to show what they have got.

TRUE

Talkin' Baseball

Stanton has been streaky like this the last several years. If you look at his splits over the last few seasons, they predict he will have an excellent September.

Turn Off Ads?