Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why is Stanton still here?

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Re: guess who prevented the sweep?

Quote Originally Posted by JLB5 View Post
    Stanton has been streaky like this the last several years. If you look at his splits over the last few seasons, they predict he will have an excellent September.
    This phenomenon is known as the 'salary drive'.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why is Stanton still here?

Era is an over-rated stat for relievers. Stanton has given up 58 hits in 44 innings. His curve ball is still there but to me its seems its been hard for him to establish his fastball. As he said himself, "im not making excuses, but if I make a good pitch, they foul it off. They're just not missing mistakes." Currently his margin for error is really slim and he has to be on top of his game every time out to be effective. Batters are hitting .315 off him this year. Does anyone know his inherited runners scored numbers or first batter faced? Where can you find those stats?

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

According to www.baseball-reference.com He has allowed 14 of 41 runners to score. That is 34%. I think i read the league average is about 30%. So that is slightly above average.
    His first-batter-faced numbers look like this.

Code:
    AB	H	2B	3B	HR	BB	IBB	K
    48	17	3	0	0	4	0	5

HBP	SH	SF	GDP	AVE	OBP	SLG	OPS
    0	1	1	0	0.354	0.396	0.417	0.813

ERA is over-rated for relievers... if the supporting stats like BA against and WHIP are there.

Because he makes too much money. You can't just "cut" a guy like that in MLB. You are stuck with his contract - see Eric Milton.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    ERA is over-rated for relievers... if the supporting stats like BA against and WHIP are there.
    right. Well someone had posted that without five games he would have a sub 3 era. But a reliever can come in and give up a hit and a run, yet still drop his era. I was just curious (as I can't remember exactly) how he performed in other areas. I haven't seen him exibit enough effectiveness to warrant continually calling on him in key situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggerd View Post
    Pete MacKanin isnt an option? He had more of a hand in not getting the sweep than anyone did. Pulling the starter after 5 innings and less than 70 pitches
    Muggs, you're kidding right?

Don't fall in love with the pitch count. Analysts use it to make their argument either way. Perhaps Lizzard was gassed and the manager knew that he would get shelled if he trotted him out there again.

There is always more to the decisions made than the average fan knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    Muggs, you're kidding right?

Don't fall in love with the pitch count. Analysts use it to make their argument either way. Perhaps Lizzard was gassed and the manager knew that he would get shelled if he trotted him out there again.

There is always more to the decisions made than the average fan knows.
    Mackanin: “I would like to be able to count on those guys (in the bullpen). It’s … you know, once again we’re talking about the bullpen that didn’t do that great of a job, but however, 13 runners on base, we had a chance to blow it open. If we had gotten a lead, Ramirez would have stayed in the game, I wouldn’t have had to muster up some runs in the fifth inning.”

He pulled Ramirez because we had guys on base with 2 outs. Nothing to do with him being tired. I can understand his point but you also have to thing about what you are going to be running out there after you take Elizardo out of there.

Krivsky signed Stanton to a terrible 2 year deal with an option for a third. We have to live with the ramifications of that. I would dearly love to DFA Stanton, and just eat the contract, but I am not sure that would work. I really would like Stanton to resuscitate his career, but I fear he has nothing else left. I am making the best of a bad situation. If it is acceptable to ridicule Coffey for his 6.04 ERA, why would we not do the same for Stanton's 5.93 . If you truly believe ERA is overrated for relievers, then you should have supported keeping Coffey on the Reds . The truth is that ERA is very important for a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Krivsky signed Stanton to a terrible 2 year deal with an option for a third. We have to live with the ramifications of that. I would dearly love to DFA Stanton, and just eat the contract, but I am not sure that would work. I really would like Stanton to resuscitate his career, but I fear he has nothing else left. I am making the best of a bad situation. If it is acceptable to ridicule Coffey for his 6.04 ERA, why would we not do the same for Stanton's 5.93 . If you truly believe ERA is overrated for relievers, then you should have supported keeping Coffey on the Reds . The truth is that ERA is very important for a reliever.
    One or two bad outings can kill a reliever's ERA, a guy like Stanton doesnt pitch enough to lower his ERA so honestly ERA isnt important with relievers.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

On or two bad appearances can raise your ERA; however Stanton has had a high ERA in 4 of 5 months. I just don't think he can cut it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    One or two bad outings can kill a reliever's ERA, a guy like Stanton doesnt pitch enough to lower his ERA so honestly ERA isnt important with relievers.

He has pitched 44 innings in 55 games, that is quite a bit, and one or two bad outtings could be absorded.

However, the truth is that the last 10 outings he has pitched
    9 innings
    8 runs (of his own,)
    12 hits
    5 walks
    6 K's
    vs. Left: .342 vs. Right: .295
    I did not bother to look up how many inherited runners have scored, but IMHO that is a very important stat.

I will answer the original question" Why is Stanton still here?". Stanton is here because we needed bullpen help in the off-season, and Krivsky thought he would be able to help the Reds bullpen. He has helped the Reds at times this year, but I would suggest he is hurting the Reds more right now. That could change in the future, and Krivsky is trying out Guardado, Majewski, and Stanton to see if they will help the Reds in 2008. However, expect a lot of bullpen help to come from Louisville in September, and if the kids do better than Stanton or some of the others, this could be their last year in Cincinnati. I am sure the salary some of these players have is also a factor as to why they are still here. Still, it will be interesting what effect the last 2 months have on the look of our bullpen next year.

I think I heard he passed through waivers. Maybe someome would give some future considerations for him and maybe 2 mil.

Turn Off Ads?