Turn Off Ads?

Thread: OT: Bull Durham -- Coming up straight from high-A Ball

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

OT: Bull Durham -- Coming up straight from high-A Ball

I watched Bull Durham last night for the first time in about 15 years. Always one of my favorites and I remember I watched it so many times that I ruined the tape as a kid. But it bothered me then and it still does that Nook comes up straight from high A-ball to the majors (yeah, I know it's a movie, but I still like my sports movies to be as close to reality as possible).

But it got me to thinking... has this ever happened with the Reds? Very doubtful, but thought I would ask. There are always strange circumstances that could cause something like that. And back in the day when farm teams were just beginning to exist (Branch Rickey -- who else -- was the first to use minor league teams with the Brooklyn Dodgers) many teams only had one minor league team under their umbrella. Having six levels of the minors is a relatively new phenomenon (low rook, high rook, low A, high A, AA, AAA) and I'm sure it has never happened, but just thought I would ask some of the savants on this board to just be sure.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: OT: Bull Durham -- Coming up straight from high-A Ball

And no, Josh Hamilton does not count! Neither does Wily Mo. I am talking about a pitcher or position player coming up straight from A-ball in the middle of the year similar to what happened in the movie. They did such a great job with that flick, but why not make it AA just to make it more realistic? Players make the jump directly from AA ball all the time. But high A? Not so much. Unless it is something strange like a player who has to be on the major league roster due to a Rule 5 pickup or something.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Scott Williamson comes to mind
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Go Gators!

Well, didnt Nuxie come straight from High school the first time around so thats quite a jump!

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Can't think of a Red, but Jeremy Bonderman did it for the Tigers. To this day, I say it hurt his development, and it certainly accelerated his arbitration clock unnecessarily.

The Marlins came close with Dontrelle Willis. They gave him 32 innings in AA, and that was it.

Albert Pujols got only 14 at-bats above A ball, and then made the team out of spring training (and not because Tony LaRussa had the vision to start him, but because Bobby Bonilla got hurt and they needed him).

Justin Verlander got only 32 innings above A ball (same as Wills... eerie).
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Don Gullett was drafted out of high school in 1969 and made the opening day roster in 1970. I'm not sure the highest minor league level he played at in 1969 but I cant think it would be to very high.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Don Gullett was drafted out of high school in 1969 and made the opening day roster in 1970. I'm not sure the highest minor league level he played at in 1969 but I cant think it would be to very high.
    Great call. He played at Sioux Falls in 1969 and went 7-2 with a 1.69 ERA according to:

http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2007...sam-era-act-2/

I don't know what level Sioux Falls was at the time. Probably High A ball.

It's now a Northern League (independent league) city, and I believe they use the same ballpark.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Thanks for the link. I remember him having a meteoric rise just didn't have time to look up his career path. Great job as always Krono. Gullett was my other pick but that has already been clarified.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Bill Scherrer made the jump from Tampa to Cincinnati.

He just had 4 stops in the same year - 1982.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Gary Nolan pitched 104 innings at Sioux Falls before making the jump at 19 years old.

Nolan and Bench was some kind of battery when they came up.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

What did Mark Prior do? If I remember correctly he was on a fast track to the bigs. Along with Zimmerman who played in the bigs in the same season he was drafted.

Jeff Jones came close- he made the team out of spring training in 1983 with only a month or two in the Eastern League.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What did Mark Prior do? If I remember correctly he was on a fast track to the bigs. Along with Zimmerman who played in the bigs in the same season he was drafted.
    http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/bas...layer.cgi?2726

He got there pretty fast, drafted in 2001 and in the bigs by the middle of 2002
    Go Gators!

The Tigers are at it again. They just promoted Cameron Maybin, after only 14 at bats at double a.

Turn Off Ads?