Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Day You Were Born

Re: The Day You Were Born

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    In honor of my arrival onto this planet in 1954, Texas Instruments introduced the transistor radio. Mighty nice of them, don't you think?
    I too was a technical baby on my birth date Telstar, the world's first communications satellite, is launched into orbit.

And the world ain't been the same since.

Che Guevara died hours before my wife was born.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I too was a technical baby on my birth date Telstar, the world's first communications satellite, is launched into orbit.

And the world ain't been the same since.

Che Guevara died hours before my wife was born.
    I remember as a youngster getting to stay up late to watch a satellite orbit the night sky. That was a huge deal at the time. I wanna say it was Telstar, but I really am not sure about that part.

I do remember an instrumental song titled 'Telstar' that was very popular way back when.

Alec Baldwin and I were born on the same day, same year.

Different years:

Henry IV (Eng)
    Washington Irving
    Doris Day
    Eddie Murphy
    Melissa Etheridge

Deaths:
    Jesse James
    Johannes Brahams
    Andre Michelin (as in tires)

happenings:
    1868 An Hawaiian surfs on highest wave ever, he rides a 50' tidal wave
    1882 Wood block alarm invented, when alarm rang, it dropped 20 wood blocks
    1927 Interstate Commerce Commission transfers Ohio to Eastern time zone
    1955 Baltimore Orioles pull their 1st triple play (3-6-2 vs Kansas City Athletics)
    1991 Bo Jackson signs 1-year contract with Chicago White Sox

Sorry. Wrong thread.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-18-2007 at 01:07 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

January 1. The Reds to my knowledge have never even thought of playing a game on my birthday. I share a birthday with Edmund Burke and Betsy Ross. Also, Verne Troyer (Mini Me) was born the same day and year as me.

September 28, 1988. Orel Hershiser breaks the consecutive scoreless innings record on the day I was born. Off of the top of my head, the only famous person I share a birthday with is Hilary Duff, who is exactly a year older than me.

Oh yeah, and the Chicago White Sox, behind Jerry Reuss, defeat Charlie Hough and the Texas Rangers in Chicago on the day I was born!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    My birthday is October 25th.

Nothing really notable happened that day (except for my birth, of course)

I share my birthday with Angela Cartwright, the voice of BART SIMPSON.
    The Battle of Leyte Gulf, October 23-26, 1944. This was the first battle that the Japanese used Kamikaze attacks.
    Last edited by OldRightHander; 08-20-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

I do remember an instrumental song titled 'Telstar' that was very popular way back when.
    By The Fabulous Ventures. My dad had that album, and I remember him telling me that the song was about a satellite. I was pretty disappointed when I listened to it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Some different interesting things that happened on April 5th. Lots of milltary actions taken on April 5th in years that end in 2.

1242 - During a battle on the ice of Lake Peipus, Russian forces, led by Alexander Nevsky, rebuff an invasion attempt by the Teutonic Knights.

1862 - American Civil War: Battle of Yorktown. The battle begins when Union forces under General George B. McClellan close in on the Confederate capital Richmond, Virginia.

1897 - The Greco-Turkish War, also called "Thirty Days' War", is declared between Greece and the Ottoman Empire.

1930 - In an act of civil disobedience, Mohandas Gandhi breaks British law after marching to the sea and making salt.

1942 - World War II: Japanese Navy attacks Colombo in Ceylon (Sri Lanka). Royal Navy Cruisers HMS Cornwall and HMS Dorsetshire are sunk southwest of the island.

1951 - Ethel and Julius Rosenberg are sentenced to death for performing espionage for the Soviet Union.

1972 - Vietnam War: North Vietnamese forces invade Binh Long Province, launching a second front of the Nguyen Hue Offensive.

1991 - ASA Embraer EMB 120 crashes in Brunswick, Georgia, United States, killing all 23 aboard.

2005 - ABC News anchor Peter Jennings informs his viewers that he has lung cancer. This was his final broadcast.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

On the day I was born, the nurses all gathered around. They gazed in wide wonder at the joy they had found.

There was also a crossfire hurricane...
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?