Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High School Musical 2?

Re: High School Musical 2?

Looks like HSM 2 shattered all kinds of TV records.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...d791f838e05401

Disney Channel's highly anticipated "High School Musical 2" sang and danced its way to history Friday night when 17.24 million viewers tuned in, making the original movie's debut the most-watched basic cable telecast of all time.

"Musical 2," a sequel to the successful 2006 telefilm, surpassed the previous record holder, ESPN's "Monday Night Football" game on Sept. 23, 2006, which averaged 16 million viewers.

It also shattered the previous basic cable record for an entertainment program, surpassing the 12.5 million viewers who saw the 2001 premiere of the TNT Western "Crossfire Trail."

"For months we've been asking kids 'What time is it?' and it's exciting to finally get the answer ... it's time for record-breaking ratings," said Anne Sweeney, co-chair of Disney Media Networks and president of Disney-ABC Television Group. "The entire team at Disney Channel, including Rich Ross, Gary Marsh and Michael Healy, deserve all the credit for helping to make television history."

Overall, "Musical 2" was the most watched program on television since the season finale of Fox's hit drama "House" on May 29 logged 17.26 million viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Additionally, "Musical 2" ranked as the most-watched TV telecast ever in kids 6-11 (6.1 million) as well as the most-watched entertainment telecast ever (and the second-highest-rated overall, behind only the 2004 Super Bowl) among tweens 9-14 (5.9 million).

The numbers, which include an eye-popping 9.4 million cable homes, would be even higher if the fact that many kids and parents nationwide gathered to watch at viewing parties was taken into account.

"Breaking the viewership record is terrific, but records come and go, and what's really important is the impact the 'High School Musical' movies have had on kids all over America and all over the world," said Marsh, Disney Channel Worldwide entertainment president. "These movies have empowered kids to express themselves in whole new ways and have changed their lives forever."

"Musical 2" also dwarfed the broadcast competition to become the most-watched Friday telecast in more than five years. It drew as many viewers as the Big Four broadcast networks combined and led Disney Channel to its second Friday win in the entire Nielsen universe after the cable channel's victory from 8-9:30 p.m. on July 19.

"Musical 2" had emerged as the TV event of the summer for preteen girls, who for weeks were planning parties tied to the premiere. As a precursor to the records to come, an encore telecast of the original "High School Musical" on Thursday drew 6 million viewers, an astounding 78% of the 7.7 million who watched the premiere of the film in 2006 and good enough for third place overall on the night behind only Fox and CBS.

In a sign of the franchise's meteoric rise from cable telefilm to cultural phenomenon, the second installment's marketing campaign included a giant billboard ad on Sunset Boulevard, a spot normally reserved for blockbuster features like "Pirates of the Caribbean."

The huge viewer turnout for "Musical 2" provided solid sampling for the special 15-minute preview of the upcoming Disney Channel animated series "Phineas and Ferb," which drew 10.8 million total viewers and 4.2 million kids 6-11, Disney Channel's second-largest audiences in both categories behind "Musical 2."

It was followed by a new episode of the hit series "Hannah Montana," which posted the largest numbers ever for a series telecast on basic cable in total viewers (10.7 million), kids 6-11 (4.2 million) and tweens 9-14 (4.1 million).

Since the first "Musical" movie premiered, it has become a global phenomenon and a lucrative franchise for the Walt Disney Co., spawning successful DVDs, CDs, games, live performances and lines of clothing and merchandise. "Musical"-related consumer products alone are expected to bring in $650 million in sales in fiscal-year 2008. A "Musical 3" feature is in the works at Walt Disney Pictures for release next year.

Although Disney Channel is handing over the "Musical" franchise to the company's feature division for the third movie, "there will be a lot of ways to keep it alive in the hearts and the minds of our young viewers for years to come," Marsh said.

In addition to reruns of the two movies and replays of the music videos spawned from them, Disney Channel soon will premiere "High School Musical: The Music In You," a musical-documentary from Oscar-winning filmmaker Barbara Kopple that chronicles the efforts of students in Fort Worth, Texas, to produce a "Musical" stage adaptation.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

The usual product issued by Disney. Further evidence of the dumbing down of American Culture. Its becoming pervasive. Parents, do your kids a favor and buy them a copy of "Meet the Beatles" or "The Ramones" so they grow up having some idea of what quality music sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    The usual product issued by Disney. Further evidence of the dumbing down of American Culture. Its becoming pervasive. Parents, do your kids a favor and buy them a copy of "Meet the Beatles" or "The Ramones" so they grow up having some idea of what quality music sounds like.

I agree. Anything that isn't "hot". My brother in law is a musician- he palys everything, but is mostly a percussionist. Played in rock bands, the symphony, and was is one of those 4 piece jazz bands that kind of improvise and they came pretty close to recoeding a CD but a couple members chise a different career path. He is a music teacher and gives lessons and had his now eighth grade son playing a guitar and mandolin before kindergarten. Now his son is embarassed to let his friends know he plays a mandolin and only listens to pop music aimed at his age group. Drives his dad nuts.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Speaking of "quality music", my 11 month old son and I were sitting and playing in the living room on Saturday, and I had the TV tuned to the digital music channels. We were listening to light classical, and I decided to see what else was on. I hit the "Arena Rock" channel, and we were treated to the classic "Love's a B*tch" by the immortal Tora Tora. My son grins and starts doing this little head-bob dance. Looks like he's already got a taste for blues-based hair metal.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I can't help reading that without picturing someone in 1964 watching teenage girls scream themselves silly over the Beatles and thinking, "this is further evidence of the dumbing down of American culture." :

Anyway -- there's a time and place for everything. I like the Ramones, but I don't want to have to explain some of those songs to a elementary-school-aged girl.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 08-20-2007 at 12:15 PM.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Anyway -- there's a time and place for everything. I like the Ramones, but I don't want to have to explain some of those songs to a elementary-school-aged girl.
    "Beat on the Brat" kind of explains itself.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I can't help reading that without picturing someone in 1964 watching teenage girls scream themselves silly over the Beatles and thinking, "this is further evidence of the dumbing down of American culture." :
    No that's not what they said. What they said was this is what happens to our little girls when they listen to white boys play music that black people have been playing. Same thing they said about Elvis. And they were right.

Ah yes. My generation feasted on the quality music of the Monkees, Tommy James and the Shondells, and the 1910 Fruitgum Company.

Let the kids have their fun.

Pay attention to the open sky

I was listening to Pink Floyd The Wall at 11 years of age, and The Pretenders, Fleetwood Mack/Stevie Nicks, The Ramones, The Police, Queen and Cheap Trick.

I would've hated HSM2 and all it stands for. Because I'm just that way and always have been when it comes to music. And I hated Grease and musicals even more.

Then again I listened to some reallllly baaad music at times growing up - so it is hard to hold anything against 10-12 year olds at all. Just hope they grow out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Ah yes. My generation feasted on the quality music of the Monkees, Tommy James and the Shondells, and the 1910 Fruitgum Company.

Let the kids have their fun.
    Nothing wrong with Tommy James and the Shondells. "I Think We're Alone Now", "Mony Mony" (covered by Billy Idol), "Crimson and Clover" (covered by by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts), "Draggin' the Line" (covered by R.E.M.). Good stuff. Pick up the Rhino "Anthology", its not bad.

This isn't about "generations". This is about good music versus bad music. HSM is simply more Disney corporate pap. Buy your kids the White Stripes. Lets start stamping out mediocrity.

Nothing wrong with Tommy James and the Shondells.
    Ah yes, penning such clever lyrics as:

My baby does the Hanky Panky,
    My baby does the Hanky Panky!

And yeah, I think I have 10-15 Tommy James and the Shondells 45's in the basement somewhere. Maybe even an album. I liked them. I did great imitation of Crimson and Clover holding my nose and waggling my throat.

My point is, every generation has their bubblegum, their doo-wop, glam rock, hair bands, "Bye Bye Birdie", their mindless pap. Not everything has to be a serious work of art. Sometimes its just mindless summertime dumb fun. That's all that HSM is.

And parents are grateful for a popular movie that their 10 yr. olds can watch that doesn't involve tongue-wrestling and sleazoid clothes.

Like I said, let the kids have their fun. There is plenty of time later for them to get all serious about music.

Do you have pre-teen and teen kids, Mutaman?

Pay attention to the open sky

I have no problem with HSM. It's neither good nor bad. It's just mindless entertainment and sometimes kids need some good mindless entertainment. I used to vent against Disney because it seems like everything they do is designed to move product. But at least it's still pretty wholesome for kids (unless you count the Bratz ads during the breaks).

Now that I'm a parent, I'm much more concerned with shows on MTV, VH1, and E!. They really seem to push the limit on how nasty you can get on daytime TV. For example, the Real World started as an interesting experiment about putting a mix of strangers from different walks of life together in an apartment and have them live together to see how they get along. Now it's a contest to see who can be the most outrageous character, along with plenty of drunken sex. If you want a real treat, try watching a few episodes of "My Super Sweet 16." Yikes. Or "Rock of Love," or "The Girls Next Door." All of which are run in episode marathons during the day on the weekends. I guess it's all the more reason to take the kids outside to play. Compared to those shows, I'd rather my kids were into HSM.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

This isn't about "generations". This is about good music versus bad music. HSM is simply more Disney corporate pap. Buy your kids the White Stripes. Lets start stamping out mediocrity.
    I guess I'm more interested in raising my kids to know right from wrong, how to make decisions, how to overcome adversity, give them the skills to deal with the tough-knocks of life. All that mundane stuff.

Musical integrity and purity doesn't even make the cut.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Do you have pre-teen and teen kids, Mutaman?
    Of course not, why do you think I'm such an expert on it. I guess I have this fear that sooner or later Bruce or Dylan will show up on American Idol to push a new album. I really think that there is a dumbing down effect in American culture that hasn't existed before in my lifetime.

My daughter, who is 5, loves the music of HSM. I have no problem with it. She is a kid for goodness sakes. I like corny fun stuff as well as stuff that may be considered as "better" music, forwhatever that means. As long as the messages/content are appropriate for her age, I have no problem with even encouraging her to like stuiff like HSM. However I will continue to expose her to all types of music. Having XM radio has been instrumental in that - she really digs the Bluegrass station. FWIW she loves Todd Snider!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?