Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High School Musical 2?

Re: High School Musical 2?

I really think that there is a dumbing down effect in American culture that hasn't existed before in my lifetime.
    heh..... soon it will be..."hey, you kids! Get off my lawn."
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Of course not, why do you think I'm such an expert on it. I guess I have this fear that sooner or later Bruce or Dylan will show up on American Idol to push a new album. I really think that there is a dumbing down effect in American culture that hasn't existed before in my lifetime.
    I think every generation thinks the succeeding generation is going to hell in a handbasket. And the succeeding generation thinks the preceding generation is bunch of old fools. Dumbing down has been going on since the dawn of mankind (or the time of RFS' birth). Nothing new here.

And parents aren't experts on kids either. About the time you figure it out, they're gone from the house and off into the world.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think every generation thinks the succeeding generation is going to hell in a handbasket. And the succeeding generation thinks the preceding generation is bunch of old fools. Dumbing down has been going on since the dawn of mankind (or the time of RFS' birth). Nothing new here.

And parents aren't experts on kids either. About the time you figure it out, they're gone from the house and off into the world.
    Not to mention that if you define "American Culture" as strictly limited to Flava of Love and HSM you've got a bigger set of issues.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Not to mention that if you define "American Culture" as strictly limited to Flava of Love and HSM you've got a bigger set of issues.
    You're setting up straw men. Look at the most popular songs, look at the most popular movies, look at the most popular books and TV shows. Maybe it has something to do with the current political atmosphere, maybe not, but there is a level of mediocrity in our culture that I've never seen before.

TV is actually much more intricate and complicated than 20 years ago.
    Now you have 24 and Lost which require you to pay attention to the most minute details(for they may be important) later, in the 60's and 70's you had Leave it to Beaver and My Three Sons.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

You're setting up straw men. Look at the most popular songs, look at the most popular movies, look at the most popular books and TV shows. Maybe it has something to do with the current political atmosphere, maybe not, but there is a level of mediocrity in our culture that I've never seen before.
    I would suggest that because you have not seen something before does not mean that it is new, different or worse than something from a previous generation.

TV and movies of previous years featured manic chain-smoking, women as nothing but sex objects and second fiddles to men and very unflattering portrails of minorities.

I agree that watching 20 women vieing for Flava Flaves attentions by flaunting their physical assets and trying to out hoochie eachother adds little to society. But let's not pretend that it's the first show in the history of tv to promote mediocrity (to be generous).

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Hell, I think a good argument could be made that the dumbing down of music has been in progress after Mozart, Bach, or Brahms were no longer the music of choice for the masses. That's what people of their day would tell you if they listened to any 20th century music. And who decides what's good and what isn't good? I definitely agree that a lot of popular music these days sounds very generic and is being controlled by marketing people at the record companies who are trying to sell images rather than music. But who's to say some music is "good" and other music is "bad"? It's all about what an individual enjoys to listen to.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    But who's to say some music is "good" and other music is "bad"? It's all about what an individual enjoys to listen to.
    To summarize:

I like what I like when I'm liking it. And that's how I like it.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Hell, I think a good argument could be made that the dumbing down of music has been in progress after Mozart, Bach, or Brahms were no longer the music of choice for the masses. That's what people of their day would tell you if they listened to any 20th century music. And who decides what's good and what isn't good? I definitely agree that a lot of popular music these days sounds very generic and is being controlled by marketing people at the record companies who are trying to sell images rather than music. But who's to say some music is "good" and other music is "bad"? It's all about what an individual enjoys to listen to.
    I agree totally.

And it's not as if HSM is the only musical option option out there. If it were I could understand Mutamans ire.

With the advent of mp3's, protools and itunes I'd say the musical options and availability out there are better than they ever have been. Doesn't mean it's the best quality, of course, but there's been throw-away music out there since the first cave-man did a branch and stone solo.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-24-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Of course not, why do you think I'm such an expert on it. I guess I have this fear that sooner or later Bruce or Dylan will show up on American Idol to push a new album. I really think that there is a dumbing down effect in American culture that hasn't existed before in my lifetime.
    How soon you forget "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy"
    by "The 1910 Fruitgum Company".
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I never had XM when I was a kid. I was stuck with whatever the program directors of Cleveland radio stations chose to play. Of all the radio I've listened to, Cleveland is the worst. The only station that even attempts to play a variety of alternative music actually features talk radio for most of the day (Rover in the morning, O&A in the afternoon). The other popular stations are strictly programming-by-numbers and have been that way for at least 20 years. Even the Classic Rock and oldies stations stick to a limited playlist of "hits" and hardly ever venture into lesser known gems. Satellite radio allows those of us with eclectic music tastes to listen to such a broad variety of music and discover new music we would have never experienced otherwise. Popular music has been dumbed down for the masses for longer than any of us have been around. Of course sometimes it's kind of fun to sing along with a dumbed-down pop song. Well, except "Shiny Happy People."

By the way, I actually like "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy," just for the sheer ridiculousness of it. Besides, the first time I heard it, it was actually being sung by Lance Link and the Evolution Revolution.

Redd Kross had a fun tune called "Bubblegum Factory," a kind of parody/celebration of the music of the bubblegum era, in which they got some Cowsills to sing backup for them.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

But who's to say some music is "good" and other music is "bad"? It's all about what an individual enjoys to listen to.

Well, we've had this argument before around here. You could argue that Brittney Spears is a greater artist than Shakespeare
    or that your 3 year old's finger painting is a greater work of art than the Mona Lisa, and you would be entitled to your opinion. But that doesn't mean your opinion has a lot of merit. Its not "all about what an individual enjoys", when it comes to art there are certain absolutes which exist.

Duke Ellington said there's only two kinds of music- Good music and Bad music. I agree, and I think those with a modicum of taste can usually distinguish between the two.

Hell, I think a good argument could be made that the dumbing down of music has been in progress after Mozart, Bach, or Brahms were no longer the music of choice for the masses.
    Actually, there was a lot of pressure on Mozart to "dumb down" his music, make it more popular tunes, and something the masses would like i.e. something you can hum.

I think with the advent of digital music, the internet as a distribution vehicle, iPods and MP3 players, that we hear more diverse and "raw" music than ever before. Bands can record and burn their own CDs and it sounds professionally done.

Pay attention to the open sky

Just say no
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I have one of Joel Whitburn's reference books listing all the Billboard Top 40 hits. Several years ago, one of my friends was thumbing through it and ran across the "1910 Fruitgum Company." He just got this dumbstruck look on his face... I asked him what was up. He told me a professor in a business class had used "1910 Fruitgum Company" as the name of the fictitious business developed throughout the course. My buddy is a big music fan and couldn't believe the prof got one over on him.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?