Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else starting to think Mackanin is going to be around next year?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Anyone else starting to think Mackanin is going to be around next year?

I'll admit... when he was hired I said we can't keep hiring "interim" managers who have a lucky streak and suddenly we think they are the long-term answer. I even dropped the term "real manager" whatever that means (We need to hire a real manager.)

Well, I don't think this is just a lucky streak. Mackanin has the best record of any NL manager since he was hired and I like the way he handles the players (takes Griffey out, but kind of jokes about it, talks up Griffey in the same breath, everything's cool). He has a way of getting his point across without being a jerk and the players seem to respond to him.

I thought for sure Castellini was going to go out and hire someone from the outside. But who is out there that is realistic? Bob Brenly? He is an Ohio native with a WS title to his name. Impressive resume. He would take the job. But many in Arizona didn't like him and thought the Dbacks won in '01 despite Brenly. Who is to say he is better than Mackanin?

There aren't many others out there. And don't even say Tony LaRussa. I already had plenty of reasons to dislike him before he called out Aaron Harang for being a headhunter (LOL). The LaRussa list is long (buring his head in the sand while all his players used 'roids -- always more than the average MLB player while in Oakland and St. Louis IMO, not to mention the drunk driving arrests, etc.). Furthermore, I don't even think LaRussa would take the job. Not in the same division as the Cardinals. I think there is a lot of fire to the rumors that there is bad blood between LaRussa and the front office (which is funny since they just won that WS title -- lucky, but they won it) but no way LaRussa comes here. And that's good news for me because I dislike LaRussa almost as much as Marty ("Tony LaRussa thinks he invented the game of baseball. Now let's pause somewhat belatedly. There are 23,451 fans here for this... Titanic struggle. Two-three-four-five-one. Why is Dunn playing and "Franchise" Hopper sitting the pine?"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Anyone else starting to think Mackanin is going to be around next year?

I don't think he's here next season. I don't think the Reds can afford to go down that path again after 7 straight losing seasons.

It's not Pete, it's the situation.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-17-2007 at 10:26 PM.

I'll be shocked if he's not given a 2 years deal in September
    Go Gators!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'll be shocked if he's not given a 2 years deal in September
    That's what I'm talking about. Now let me ask you: What would be your opinion if that happens? (Assuming the Reds are still playing good baseball at that point.)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I hope so.
    Haha. I never would have guessed.

If he'd take it, I think I'd probably give him a year extension and see what he does next year.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    If he'd take it, I think I'd probably give him a year extension and see what he does next year.
    I'm sure he would take it.

I have no idea what to think
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    That's what I'm talking about. Now let me ask you: What would be your opinion if that happens? (Assuming the Reds are still playing good baseball at that point.)
    It would be a bad move IMO, let Mack interview but make a real intensive search.
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I don't know why you'd get rid of a manager who is having success. Managers simply don't have that much of an impact. If your players are performing to their ability, the clubhouse is running smoothly, and the manager isn't screwing up the on field decisions, he's doing his job well.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't know why you'd get rid of a manager who is having success. Managers simply don't have that much of an impact. If your players are performing to their ability, the clubhouse is running smoothly, and the manager isn't screwing up the on field decisions, he's doing his job well.
    Because Miley and Narron had success when they took over too.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I just don't think that is a good enough reason to not re-sign him.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I just don't think that is a good enough reason to not re-sign him.
    After 7 straight losing seasons all done by "interim" managers it is.

Like I said, it's not Pete, it's the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    In fact, Narron had a .500 interim season; Miley had a .386 record his interim year. Ironically that was his record the year he got fired.

I think they'll still do some interviewing and I don't think Mackanin is a foregone conclusion, but if he succeeds this season, he'll get a fair hearing.

BTW, we've had interim who have had some success, even if it didn't result in a championship of any kind: Fred Hutchinson, Pete Rose, Jack McKeon, Davey Johnson
    Last edited by redsmetz; 08-17-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Turn Off Ads?