Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reds 40 man roster and next year's Rule 5 draft

Re: Reds 40 man roster and next year's Rule 5 draft

What's the current status of the Reds 40 man roster and minor leaguers who should be protected?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    What's the current status of the Reds 40 man roster and minor leaguers who should be protected?
    I hope I have this right. Please correct me if necessary.

Assuming the guys on 60 day Dl are all added and that Milton is removed since he's a free agent. They stand at 34 (I had Guardado at #7 and blanked him out.):

Code:
    	On 40 Man
    1	Harang
    2	Arroyo
    3	Belisle
    4	Bailey
    5	Livingston
    6	Smit
    8	Weathers
    9	Burton
    10	McBeth
    11	Salmon
    12	Bray
    13	Majewski
    14	Stanton
    15	Coffey
    16	Coutlangus

17	Ross
    18	Valentin
    19	Hanigan

20	Votto
    21	Hatteberg
    22	Cantu
    23	Phillips
    24	Gonzalez
    25	Keppinger
    26	Encarnacion
    27	Ju Castro
    28	Gil

29	Dunn
    30	Griffey
    31	Hamilton
    32	Hopper
    33	Freel
    34	Coats
    35	Dickerson
    The list of minor league players who have to be added is pretty thin since a number of guys were named 6 year free agents:

Code:
    Need Added
    IF Luis Bolivar
    SP Richie Gardner
    RP Carlos Guevara
    1B Tonys Gutierrez
    RP Justin Mallett
    RP Thomas Pauly
    RP Ty Pelland
    RP Ramon Ramirez
    SP Camilio Vazquez
    I see Pelland as the only lock. Ramirez and Guevara could be possible and that would still leave a couple slots open for draftees. Hopefully they sign an upgrade or two.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-11-2007 at 12:24 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The Reds have to make it a priority to sign Asadoorian and Miguel Perez back out of the guys they had that were free agents. If so, they need to protect them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Reds have to make it a priority to sign Asadoorian and Miguel Perez back out of the guys they had that were free agents. If so, they need to protect them as well.
    I'd probably try to sign Perez, but Asadoorian would just be on a minor league deal IMO. There are better 6 year free agent relievers if the team wants to sign one and use up a 40 man spot (Francisco Cruceta, Franklyn German, Steve Shell, Dan Giese). I think they should sign Asadoorian but not put him on the 40 man. I can't see him sticking in the majors in 2008.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If Bruce, Cueto or anybody else that doesn't have to be protected yet, makes the great leap this season, they will have to be added, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    If Bruce, Cueto or anybody else that doesn't have to be protected yet, makes the great leap this season, they will have to be added, eh?
    Yes, but not until the end of spring training and long after the rule 5 draft which is what really matters at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd probably try to sign Perez, but Asadoorian would just be on a minor league deal IMO. There are better 6 year free agent relievers if the team wants to sign one and use up a 40 man spot (Francisco Cruceta, Franklyn German, Steve Shell, Dan Giese). I think they should sign Asadoorian but not put him on the 40 man. I can't see him sticking in the majors in 2008.
    If we sign and don't protect Asadoorian, he will be gone. Guys who throw mid 90s don't grow on trees, much less guys who have success in AA in their first year as a pitcher. Someone will take a chance on him if he is available.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If we sign and don't protect Asadoorian, he will be gone. Guys who throw mid 90s don't grow on trees, much less guys who have success in AA in their first year as a pitcher. Someone will take a chance on him if he is available.
    You could be right if he throws that hard. Does he really throw mid 90s? Can he actually pitch at that speed or does he throw that hard with no idea of where its going and actually pitches with less velocity? I always though he was in the 91 to 92 range.

I can agree with that, I want every 90 plus flamethrower that we can get.

You could be right if he throws that hard. Does he really throw mid 90s? Can he actually pitch at that speed or does he throw that hard with no idea of where its going and actually pitches with less velocity? I always though he was in the 91 to 92 range.
    Last year when he pitched every now and again he was hitting 94-95 regularly. Regardless, if he is left unprotected by whoever signs him, he will be taken in the rule V draft by someone. Count on it.

Need Added
    IF Luis Bolivar
    SP Richie Gardner
    RP Carlos Guevara
    1B Tonys Gutierrez
    RP Justin Mallett
    RP Thomas Pauly
    RP Ty Pelland
    RP Ramon Ramirez
    SP Camilio Vazquez[/code]
    13 Reds minor leaguers filed for free agency, so here are the remaining Reds players who could be exposed to the rule five draft:
    C Chris Kroski
    1B Tonys Gutierrez
    IF Luis Bolivar
    OF Shaun Cumberland
    OF Josh Holden
    OF Gerardo Cabrera?
    SP Camilo Vazquez
    SP Richie Gardner
    RP Ramon Ramirez
    RP Tyler Pelland
    RP Carlos Guevara
    RP Tom Pauly
    RP Justin Mallett

Gerardo Cabrera was drafted by the White Sox in 2003, but I don't know if he were under contract for 2004. If he weren't, he's not eligible. His value is mostly as an interpretor, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.
    Personally, I'd add Pelland, Guevara, and even Ramirez. I wouldn't add Tom Pauly, but if I were another team, I might draft him depending on how well he has recovered from his injuries.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 11-11-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: I goofed

I think you have a better list. I was focusing on the pitchers and forgot to go back and check on guys like Cumberland and Holden. I don't think Gardner is a free agent unless he was released. I don't see him on the list.

I think you have a better list. I was focusing on the pitchers and forgot to go back and check on guys like Cumberland and Holden. I don't think Gardner is a free agent unless he was released. I don't see him on the list.
    I don't see him either. I don't know why I thought he did. Maybe I just thought it would be better for him, personally, to move on. I edited my previous post, so thank you.

Need to protect Asadoorian, Perez, if resigned, Elizardo, if resigned, and Pelland. Those are the guys other teams will take for sure. Guevara is a harder call. The guy's put up very good numbers yet there is just no organizational enthusiasm for him. His stuff is just not seen as projectable, maybe rightly, maybe not. I could see somebody taking a real flyer on Ramon Ramirez but I doubt he's far enough along to stick on a 25 man roster. I suspect the Reds will take a chance on exposing him.

Turn Off Ads?