Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds 40 man roster and next year's Rule 5 draft

Re: Reds 40 man roster and next year's Rule 5 draft

I wouldn't be shocked if someone took a shot at Asadoorian, figuring that here's a guy with a ML fastball who can be stashed in the pen for a year and even pinch hit occasionally.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Asadoorian wil be protected by Reds. We already shown a proclivity towards other team's coverted outfielders.

Our guy made it to AA in his first season, with a 3.59 ERA. There's enough chaff on the roster you can make room for him.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

The Reds have 3 players on the 60 Day DL (Milton, Castro and Gil) and one on the restricted list (Jorgenson) none of whom count on the 40 man roster. Milton and Jorgenson probably won't be added back. Castro probably will because of his contract. Gil is a question mark but lets assume not. That is 1 spot needed there. Add in Pelland, Perez and possibly Asadoorian and Guevara and that means 5 spots are needed. If the Reds want to draft a player or 2 that could mean 6 or 7 spots.

Who goes?

Guardado? probably
    Saarloos? Yes
    Hanigan? Hmm, just added him.
    Colina?? Ditto
    Ellison?? I'd assume so
    Dumatrait? even with the poor performance he'd probably get picked. He has some value I'd think - even if its only as a throw in.
    Gosling? I think he has value as a LH long man. He can turn line-ups around but it may not be enough to save him.
    Dickerson? He'd probably get picked, but maybe Coats makes him expendable. I can't believe the Reds would put him in the AFL if they were going to let him go.
    Coats? Why'd they trade for him then?
    Stanton? I don't think they have the guts. I hear he's a stand-up guy. Maybe he'll let the team off the hook and retire.
    Coffey? I think they'd regret it and he is signed, but he may need a change of scenery now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think Guardado, Saarloos, and Gosling will be gone. I could be wrong, but I believe Jason Ellison is arbitration eligible, and seeing as how the Reds have a lot of depth there (Freel, Hopper, Hamilton, Griffey, Keppinger, Dunn, etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds let him go.

Dumatrait had a god-awful rookie year, but like you said, he still has value. I think Colina (probably Jorgensen's replacement) and Coats will stay because the Reds want better looks at them. The same thing goes for Hanigan and Dickerson, as well. I don't think the Reds are ready to give up on Stanton, and as for Coffey, he has too high of a ceiling (and just high enough of a salary) to give up on him now.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think Guardado, Saarloos, and Gosling will be gone. I could be wrong, but I believe Jason Ellison is arbitration eligible, and seeing as how the Reds have a lot of depth there (Freel, Hopper, Hamilton, Griffey, Keppinger, Dunn, etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds let him go.

Dumatrait had a god-awful rookie year, but like you said, he still has value. I think Colina (probably Jorgensen's replacement) and Coats will stay because the Reds want better looks at them. The same thing goes for Hanigan and Dickerson, as well. I don't think the Reds are ready to give up on Stanton, and as for Coffey, he has too high of a ceiling (and just high enough of a salary) to give up on him now.

I think the only guys who are gone for sure are Saarloos and Ellison and the reason is as you said, arbitration makes them probable non-tenders so they may as well be let go now to make room.

The rest is pretty iffy. WK is not real predictable in this area and I could see him wanting to keep Castro, Gil, Guardado and all the rest. If Guardado stays the Reds may renegotiate and offer him a minor league deal with a spring training invitation at a reduced salary. That would buy a 40 man slot until after the draft. I could actually see a similar move with Gosling, Saarloos, Ellison and (everyone please forgive my next 3 word phrase) maybe even Milton. The emergence of Shearn and adding him to the 40 man has added him to the crowd, but given his performance he has to be kept on the roster now IMO.

This exercise makes it easy to see why Bruce and Cueto weren't called up. Adding them to the 40 man would have increased the logjam and for all the other talk, this administrative stuff is important and I suspect is the real reason we aren't seeing them now.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-23-2007 at 09:13 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This exercise makes it easy to see why Bruce and Cueto weren't called up. Adding them to the 40 man would have increased the logjam and for all the other talk, this administrative stuff is important and I suspect is the real reason we aren't seeing them now.
    It's always a hard sell to state that publically, isn't it? I think I'd rather worry about the 40 man situation in Spring Training or short after the season starts rather than hamstring yourself during the off-season. Plus, I believe someone like Rick Short who says both need further seasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's always a hard sell to state that publically, isn't it? I think I'd rather worry about the 40 man situation in Spring Training or short after the season starts rather than hamstring yourself during the off-season. Plus, I believe someone like Rick Short who says both need further seasoning.
    Agree. Hamilton and Burton should be reasons 1A and 1B why properly managing the 40 Man going into the draft is important. Teams need to leave room to grab guys like this and also teams need to leave room to protect guys who still have potential. Adding guys before they have to be, unless they are going straight to an integral major league role, bumps somebody else off or fills the roster to prevent selecting anyone.

I have no complaints concerning Bruce and Cueto not making a September appearance in Cincy.

Pelland, Guevara, and M. Perez. That would be who I would protect. I still like Perez. He is a cheaper Chad Moeller.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think the only guys who are gone for sure are Saarloos and Ellison and the reason is as you said, arbitration makes them probable non-tenders so they may as well be let go now to make room.

The rest is pretty iffy. WK is not real predictable in this area and I could see him wanting to keep Castro, Gil, Guardado and all the rest. If Guardado stays the Reds may renegotiate and offer him a minor league deal with a spring training invitation at a reduced salary. That would buy a 40 man slot until after the draft. I could actually see a similar move with Gosling, Saarloos, Ellison and (everyone please forgive my next 3 word phrase) maybe even Milton. The emergence of Shearn and adding him to the 40 man has added him to the crowd, but given his performance he has to be kept on the roster now IMO.

So you think the Reds may offer Milton a minor league deal? It might not be too much of a surprise, especially with the state of our starting pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    So you think the Reds may offer Milton a minor league deal? It might not be too much of a surprise, especially with the state of our starting pitching.
    Not so much saying it will happen as much as saying Krivsky is unpredictable and it wouldn't surprise me. He seems to have no pattern.

I think the Reds won't offer anything to Milton because there would be a mutual understanding that Milton would rather be in any Major League organization other than the Reds'. I wouldn't be shocked for Milton to get a one-year Major League deal for $500k, to be honest with you. It's a sick world we live in.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think the Reds won't offer anything to Milton because there would be a mutual understanding that Milton would rather be in any Major League organization other than the Reds'. I wouldn't be shocked for Milton to get a one-year Major League deal for $500k, to be honest with you. It's a sick world we live in.
    I don't even know if its allowed that he make a low number with the amount of service time he has.....

He can. You just can't offer that as an arbitration offer.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    He can. You just can't offer that as an arbitration offer.
    Gotcha. Thanks. I knew there was something about offering low amounts to Vets.... just wasn't sure exactly how it worked.

Chris Dickerson is useless to the Reds in my book. He can't hit whatsoever. Yes he has a little power, but that doesn't make up for his horrible average. I say that we should try and get something, anything for him.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?