Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Meaning of being 9 back on Aug 18....

Man Pills

Re: The Meaning of being 9 back on Aug 18....

I just look at this division and see missed opportunity after missed opportunity to contend. And I blame it on Wayne Krivsky.

Does anyone honestly believe it will be any different next year if Wayne is still GM?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Funny, as bad as that bullepn has been, we've won every game we've led into the 9th inning for over a year.
    All the more reason to believe they'd choke it away.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I just look at this division and see missed opportunity after missed opportunity to contend. And I blame it on Wayne Krivsky.
    He was rebuilding the farm system.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I don't know that I could construct a logical case for believing, but so what? If you want to believe, then suspend disbelief. I enjoy playing armchair GM as much as anyone, but we don't actually run the ballclub and there's no harm done if we have some irrational hope once in awhile.
    I feel pretty much the same way. It doesn't hurt anything for me to hope that they have a chance.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    He was rebuilding the farm system.
    I have one thing to say to that. In the famous words of Col. Parker of MASH fame, "Horse Hockey"!

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    We need one of those stats that say, "Teams that are nine games back on Aug. 18 have an X percent chance of making the playoffs."
    Based upon Clay Davenport's mega analysis (Baseball Prospectus), as of noon today, the Reds have between a .2 and .7% chance of making the playoffs.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Three names: Adam Wainwright, Joel Pineiro, and Dave Duncan.

That's why the Reds ain't winnin' zip.

Adam Wainwright, outside of Peavy and Webb, has been the NL's best starter over the last 2 1/2 or 3 months. He's absolutely smashed his competition. He should be plenty enough--with one more Pujols hot streak--to vault the Cards into the postseason.

And really, outside of San Diego's, St Louis's bullpen is outstanding.

Harang has been much better than Wainwright over the last 2.5 months, as has Zambrano,Hudson,Penny,Oswalt,Lowry,Hamels etc.

Wainwright is pitching good since June 1, but he simply isn't as dominate as the others.

Wainwright is 7-5 with an ERA of about 3 since June 1.

Nice, but not close to being in the top group.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Harang has been much better than Wainwright over the last 2.5 months, as has Zambrano,Hudson,Penny,Oswalt,Lowry,Hamels etc.

Wainwright is pitching good since June 1, but he simply isn't as dominate as the others.

Wainwright is 7-5 with an ERA of about 3 since June 1.

Nice, but not close to being in the top group.
    But he's a Cardinal...that trumps everything

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I don't know that I could construct a logical case for believing, but so what? If you want to believe, then suspend disbelief. I enjoy playing armchair GM as much as anyone, but we don't actually run the ballclub and there's no harm done if we have some irrational hope once in awhile.
    We as crazy devoted Reds fans all have irrational hope somewhere within us that gets entertained if only for a fleeting, quiet moment that may only creep briefly into our consciousness (yes that goes for FCB too even if he won't admit it to us or even himself for that matter).

I'm pleading for a reason to have rational hope....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    But he's a Cardinal...that trumps everything

And Pineiro?

I was speechless on that one.

He's followed up a rough debut with 2 good outings. A liitle early to be giving him the Cy Young Award.

And Pineiro?

I was speechless on that one.

He's followed up a rough debut with 2 good outings. A liitle early to be giving him the Cy Young Award.
    I lterally fell out of my chair laughing when I heard that Wainwright and Pineiro were the reasons why the Reds weren't winning anything this year. I sort of hope Jocketty and LaRussa come to the Reds this offseason just so we no longer have to listen to the Cardinals praise on this board.

9 back on 8/18 shows that WK needs to have his radar fixed because when he needed to make a move in May, it wasn't on his radar yet. Now it's sadly too late, but 2 games in May, 2 in June and 2 in July would put the Reds right in the thick of things and with a different manager that may have happened.

Does anyone honestly believe it will be any different next year if Wayne is still GM?
    Yes. I firmly believe a year from today we wont be 53-68 with 576 runs scored and 638 runs allowed.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I believe ..

That the Reds will once again sit home this playoff season

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Based upon Clay Davenport's mega analysis (Baseball Prospectus), as of noon today, the Reds have between a .2 and .7% chance of making the playoffs.
    [Lloyd Christmas] So you're telling me there's a chance. [/Lloyd Christmas]
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?