Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Things that make you go hmmmm (or Dunn is just weird)...

Re: Things that make you go hmmmm (or Dunn is just weird)...

Did anyone notice Dunn's opposite-field single last night? Two strikes and he shortened his swing and just punched the ball into left for a base hit. Great piece of hitting. It's what so many of us would like to see him do more regularly. There was a time when players did this all the time -- and some still do. Look to drive the ball until you have two strikes, then shorten the swing to put the ball in play and give yourself a chance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with Coffeybro. If he gets too many cheap hits by bunting they'll have to adjust their shift accordingly. I can remember several times that the team didn't need a HR and a bunt single would have helped the team a great deal. In fact I can recall very few instances that the shift was not used on Dunn.

Seems to me that ego is the only thing keeping Dunn from bunting.
    In what situation would a bunt have been better for the team than a home run?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Well....there was that one time. Geez.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

No one is saying that, and you know it. He's saying the bunt, which would, in theory, be more likely to be successful, would have a positive impact. Swinging away has a higher upside outcome -- a home run -- but also is a lower percentage bet.

Of course, if Dunn can't execute a bunt to the left side against the shift, the debate is over.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    No one is saying that, and you know it. He's saying the bunt, which would, in theory, be more likely to be successful, would have a positive impact. Swinging away has a higher upside outcome -- a home run -- but also is a lower percentage bet.

Of course, if Dunn can't execute a bunt to the left side against the shift, the debate is over.
    I don't know if I can add to that.

Take the following situation: Reds down by 3, bottom of the 9th, runner on 1st, Dunn is up and Griffey is on deck. I'd just as soon Dunn bunt and bring Griffey to the plate as the tying run with runners on 1st and 2nd. If Dunn swings for the fences the best thing that can happen is he hits one out and the bases are cleared allowing them to pitch around Griffey.

This philosophy speaks volumes for what has been wrong with this team for years. The idea that you always swing for the fences is insane. Unfortunately, I'm afraid a lot of Reds players agree with your philosophy on baseball.

No one is saying that, and you know it. He's saying the bunt, which would, in theory, be more likely to be successful, would have a positive impact. Swinging away has a higher upside outcome -- a home run -- but also is a lower percentage bet..
    If I'm a betting man I.d put my money on Dunn getting an EBH or drawing a walk (something hes actually acomplished a bunch of times) over him dropping a perfect bunt and beating out the throw (something he rarely if ever does) ....every time he comes to the plate in addition to the wacky concocted scenarios where a 'bunt is better than a homer'.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    If I'm a betting man I.d put my money on Dunn getting an EBH or drawing a walk (something hes actually acomplished a bunch of times) over him dropping a perfect bunt and beating out the throw (something he rarely if ever does) ....every time he comes to the plate in addition to the wacky concocted scenarios where a 'bunt is better than a homer'.
    With this shift it doesn't have to be a perfect bunt. But he would have to work on his bunting skills. If his bunting skills remain as they are, you're right, swing away.

No one is saying that, and you know it.
    Actually, the quote was "I can remember several times that the team didn't need a HR and a bunt single would have helped the team a great deal."

Nate had the same question I had: when would a team *not* need a home run, but *would* need a bunt single?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

With this shift it doesn't have to be a perfect bunt. But he would have to work on his bunting skills. If his bunting skills remain as they are, you're right, swing away.
    Honestly, even if Dunn were to perfect his bunting skills, I don't see how that's a huge advantage--for him or the team. If I'm the opposing team, and I see Dunn bunting for base hits in lieu of swinging for the fences, I consider that a success. It's true of all power hitters: when you force them to adjust their strategy and play to something other than their strength, the strategy can be deemed successful.

Dunn's on pace to hit 42 HRs, knock in 104 and OPS .930. No way, no how do I want to see him bunting consistently, whether he becomes a good bunter or not. The shift has zero effect on his ability to hit HRs, which is exactly the reason why he is here, and the predominant way he provides value to this team. Having him bunt with any degree of regularity would be a misuse of talent of criminal proportions.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

How have I misinterpreted this?

I can remember several times that the team didn't need a HR and a bunt single would have helped the team a great deal.
    I am really genuinely curious to know under what situation should Adam Dunn trade a home run for a bunt.
    Last edited by nate; 08-21-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: switched up my home runs and bunts!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

This philosophy speaks volumes for what has been wrong with this team for years. The idea that you always swing for the fences is insane. Unfortunately, I'm afraid a lot of Reds players agree with your philosophy on baseball.
    I didn't speak anything about baseball philosophy. I was asking under what conditions would it be better to trade a home run for a bunt?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I don't know if I can add to that.

Take the following situation: Reds down by 3, bottom of the 9th, runner on 1st, Dunn is up and Griffey is on deck. I'd just as soon Dunn bunt and bring Griffey to the plate as the tying run with runners on 1st and 2nd. If Dunn swings for the fences the best thing that can happen is he hits one out and the bases are cleared allowing them to pitch around Griffey.
    You'd rather be down 3 runs when Griffey steps to the plate than down 1 run?

I wouldn't. Not in any situation.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I didn't speak anything about baseball philosophy. I was asking under what conditions would it be better to trade a home run for a bunt?
    First thing that comes to mind is behind by three runs late in the game with no outs. The whole arguement hinges on the fact that you can't guarantee a home run. Even Barry Bonds during his record home run season only had a 15.3% chance of hitting a home run when he had an ab. In his best home run hitting season Dunn's percentage of home runs is 8.1. Griffey had a percentage of 9 and 8.8 back in his 56 home run seasons. Say Dunn, Griffey, or any other shift afflicted batter practiced his bunting to the point he had a 50 percent chance of placing the ball where he wants it to go. I'd rather have a 50% chance of having a base runner than a 15% chance at best of getting a home run.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Man Pills

There's about as much logic to Dunn bunting as there is never ever leaving your house because you're afraid of a terrorist attack in Joplin, Missouri.

Yeah, you'll likely not die doing it, but then it sort of smashes the raison d'etre.

Turn Off Ads?