Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Funny Drew Stubbs quotes

Re: Funny Drew Stubbs quotes

I figured you would wait until he cooled off, youre very funny.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

You could do a lot worse than a version of Mike Cameron.

A terrific fielding centre fielder with on base abilities can be a very valuable commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    You could do a lot worse than a version of Mike Cameron.

A terrific fielding centre fielder with on base abilities can be a very valuable commodity.
    You could also do a lot better.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    You could also do a lot better.
    No question, and the expectations are certianly greater, but at this point, I think a lot of people would be pleased with that end result (including myself).

A more talented Chris Denorfia if you will. Not a bad player to have around. I didn't like the Stubbs pick either, but we can still be realistic here. He's likely not going to be more aluable than Tim Lincecum in his career, and likely won't reach his upside, but I could definitelysee Stubbs settling in to being a very solid player.

Anyways, what I was saying is that Benihana's description really isn't an insult to Stubbs right now like icehole was suggesting. A near Mike Cameron level player would be a nice commodity to have at the top of the order and could really give the Reds a shot to produce a decent fielding team.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I think people have unrealistic expectations for first-round draft picks. I'm obviously over-generalizing, but typically, it seems like a third of them never make the Major Leagues, a third of them are role players or spare parts, and the last third get starting roles (and less than half of those become stars). If Drew Stubbs becomes a starting center fielder, the Reds made a good draft pick. I think having drafted Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce raised the bar too high.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think people have unrealistic expectations for first-round draft picks. I'm obviously over-generalizing, but typically, it seems like a third of them never make the Major Leagues, a third of them are role players or spare parts, and the last third get starting roles (and less than half of those become stars). If Drew Stubbs becomes a starting center fielder, the Reds made a good draft pick. I think having drafted Homer Bailey and Jay Bruce raised the bar too high.
    I agree completely. Sure, it doesn't help that Lincecum is pitching great in the majors right now.... but in comparison, every pick sucks based off of Lincecum. We have Drew Stubbs and he is performing right now.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Wake me up when Stubbs is playing (and hitting well) at a level where someone of his draft status/age should be playing.

In other words, color me not impressed about his "hot" streak in low-A ball. He should be at least in AA ball by now.

As for the Lincecum situation, the problem is that there were several Reds followers who felt he was an obvious choice. Then we pass on him to take Stubbs. Then the Giants take Lincecum right after that. We are not like other teams in that he was right there and we should have taken him. If you can't understand why Krivsky should take some criticism for that, I don't know what to tell you. We are going to regret that draft decision for a long time. Drew Stubbs is just not very good, is still in low-A ball, and Lincecum would already be the No. 3 pitcher on the Reds staff. That is a HUGE difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Wake me up when Stubbs is playing (and hitting well) at a level where someone of his draft status/age should be playing.
    So its his fault that he hasn't been promoted or that he started in Dayton?
    In other words, color me not impressed about his "hot" streak in low-A ball. He should be at least in AA ball by now.
    Well lets be honest, Drew has had 1 bad month in Dayton, and it was a really bad month. However outside of that 1 bad month, he has a .294/.393/.472 line for an OPS of .865. Its not a hot streak, he had 1 really bad month. Also, who are you to be suggesting where someone should or should not be? Is it a death stamp that he will never do something becuase he is 22 and in AA?
    As for the Lincecum situation, the problem is that there were several Reds followers who felt he was an obvious choice. Then we pass on him to take Stubbs. Then the Giants take Lincecum right after that. We are not like other teams in that he was right there and we should have taken him. If you can't understand why Krivsky should take some criticism for that, I don't know what to tell you. We are going to regret that draft decision for a long time. Drew Stubbs is just not very good, is still in low-A ball, and Lincecum would already be the No. 3 pitcher on the Reds staff. That is a HUGE difference.
    There is no Lincecum situation. Tim pitches for the San Francisco Giants. I could care 2 flying craps about who other people thought the Reds should have taken. I think we should have taken Billy Rowell. What does it matter? We didn't take either of them. We also didnt take Scott Kazmir, Jared Weaver or whoever else. It doesn't matter. Why do we have to have this conversation every month? Why focus on what we don't have when we can focus on what we do?

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

You know who else the Reds passed on in the draft? More than 90% of Major League Baseball players. Some of those guys are way better than Tim Lincecum will ever be. Let's just cling to that fact for a while and talk about how badly the Reds make decisions since so much productive conversation can come from that?

The Reds didn't draft Lincecum. They didn't draft Mike Mussina. They didn't draft Derek Jeter. They didn't draft Barry Bonds. Get over it. Maybe when Stubbs is officially a bust (which has a good chance of never happening), you'll have a legitimate reason to complain about the pick, but until then, why not let things play out instead of acting like the sky has fallen when it hasn't even budged?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

I guess we can add Dorsey to the list, funny how there was no Dorsey in sight about a week ago when Stubbs was drilling everything thrown at him...very good Dorsey very good.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I guess we can add Dorsey to the list, funny how there was no Dorsey in sight about a week ago when Stubbs was drilling everything thrown at him...very good Dorsey very good.

He did say to wake him up.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post

Yep. Good call. I was avoiding this board at all costs because of the lukewarm streak that Stubbs is going through in low-A ball. The good thing is that others are convinced he "should" be promoted and he "would be" putting up similar numbers at high-A or AA. I will need to see it first.

It's time we make some side bets on when/if Stubbs will be a regular starter in the Majors. Talk is cheap. And I think we can all agree that if a former top 10 draft pick still isn't in the Majors by a certain date, he's probably a bust. And if he's never a full-time starter in the Bigs, he's probably a bust. And if he's still in low-A ball the year AFTER the draft, making him the only college player drafted in the top 10 in recent years to still be in low-A ball more than a full year after the draft (actually 14 going on 15 months), he's probably a bust.

Now back to killing the messenger! Commence.

FYI, here are Stubbs' statistics this year. In other words, don't believe the hype!

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=453211

Our boy Drew is rockin a .272 BA, 11 HRs, 38 RBI in 463 at-bats. Not good. Also, he has struck out 133 times, walked 63 and has an OPS of .784. He does have 22 stolen bases which is impressive, until you see that he has been caught stealing 15 times.

Did we mention that he's putting up these stellar numbers in low-A ball? A former college player should be putting up these mediocre numbers at least in AA ball by now. And it still wouldn't be impressive! But at least he would be playing at the level that corresponds with his draft status/age.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good thread gentlemen!

Blitz, maybe you skipped over my post where I showed that Drew, outside of 1 bad month, is hitting .294/.393/.472. As for RBI, the guy has hit leadoff almost all year until the last few weeks. No one piles up RBI in the leadoff spot.

Again though, don't let personal bias get in the way of seeing things. Lets also not forget that Drew Stubbs plays CF. Not 1B, 3B or a corner outfield position. He plays one of the lightest hitting positions on the field.

As for a bust.... If Drew Stubbs isn't in the majors by age 26, then he is a bust. Until then, I am not tossing in the towel completely unless he shows an inability to hit, which he has not done yet outside of one month.

We can have this arguement every day for the rest of Drew Stubbs career. I have no problem with that.

He also suffered a foot injury that kept him out part of the year, and I am sure that had an effect on his play after he returned

Turn Off Ads?