Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Funny Drew Stubbs quotes

Re: Funny Drew Stubbs quotes

That's also not to mention that he's been a lead-off hitter for almost the entire year. If you want to bring RBIs into this, that's about as fair as saying he's 22 years old, but his body seems like a 19-year-old's, so let's treat him like he's a teenager.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Hey, you guys are the ones talking about his RBIs. I just posted all of his stats and never said a word about his low RBI total.

Honestly, in addition to his hitting woes, the 15 times caught stealing concerns me. That indicates he's a good athlete with no clue how to run the bases. Yes, that can be taught to an extent, but he just doesn't seem to have good baseball instincts. 22 steals is impressive on the surface like I said, but if he's just running all the time with no thought of how to set up the pitcher, how to get a good jump, when to run, etc., it's really not impressive. 22/37 is not a very good percentage for a good base-stealer (59 percent) especially for low-A ball.

And for all you "he had a foot injury" excuse mongers, explain to me why the hell he was running so much? Lol. Again, let's not let personal bias get in the way. Let's just look at the facts.

BTW, I love the "Well, if you just take out his worst month his stats would look like this" excuse. Can you imagine what Todd Coffey's stats would look like the times he didn't choke? Can someone look that up? The facts are you can't do that in baseball. Overall, he is putting up average-at-best stats in low-A and I think he's on the fast train to bustville. I am not using any bias, just looking at the numbers. Not to mention the fact Stubbs is the only college player I can ever think of who was drafted in the top 10 and is still playing in low-A ball the following season.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Hey, you guys are the ones talking about his RBIs. I just posted all of his stats and never said a word about his low RBI total.
    Actually you listed his average and his RBI total 5 posts ago.

Honestly, in addition to his hitting woes, the 15 times caught stealing concerns me. That indicates he's a good athlete with no clue how to run the bases. Yes, that can be taught to an extent, but he just doesn't seem to have good baseball instincts. 22 steals is impressive on the surface like I said, but if he's just running all the time with no thought of how to set up the pitcher, how to get a good jump, when to run, etc., it's really not impressive. 22/37 is not a very good percentage for a good base-stealer (59 percent) especially for low-A ball.
    Or that he has had a limp all season long. But lets not worry about that, he is probably just a real bad base runner.
    And for all you "he had a foot injury" excuse mongers, explain to me why the hell he was running so much? Lol. Again, let's not let personal bias get in the way. Let's just look at the facts.
    Im not his coach so I can't tell you.
    BTW, I love the "Well, if you just take out his worst month his stats would look like this" excuse. Can you imagine what Todd Coffey's stats would look like the times he didn't choke? Can someone look that up? The facts are you can't do that in baseball. Overall, he is putting up average-at-best stats in low-A and I think he's on the fast train to bustville. I am not using any bias, just looking at the numbers. Not to mention the fact Stubbs is the only college player I can ever think of who was drafted in the top 10 and is still playing in low-A ball the following season.
    There is a difference between sucking almost all the time and having 1 bad month. The fact is that Drew Stubbs has been very valuable to his team for the season. He gets on base at a very high rate and he plays great defense at one of the most important positions on the field.

I also could care less about where he is playing right now. He doesnt get to choose where he plays, the organization does. There is no need to rush him. You act like there is some set place that he must be at in order to ever be good or something.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 08-26-2007 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Wow. talk about a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or that he has had a limp ass season long.
    A limp ass, eh? Jeez, the guy just can't catch a break.
    Last edited by Screwball; 08-26-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    A limp ass, eh? Jeez, the guy just can't catch a break.
    I dont know what you are talking about.... I didn't make a typo!

The 15 caught stealings should be taken as further proof that he legitimately has a foot problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Actually you listed his average and his RBI total 5 posts ago.
    Do you have reading issues? I said I posted all of his stats (well, really I posted most of his stats -- BA, HR, RBI, AB, OPS, K, BB, SB, CS... sorry if that wasn't enough for you; plus a link to his full stats) it was others who were harping on his RBIs.

But honestly, I think we've cleared a few things up here. I never bought the foot injury was serious enough to cause his poor production -- he wouldn't have 37 SB attempts if it was that serious. But I think there might be something to the aforementioned "limp ass" theory. He's just lucky it's not the more serious "limp (biskit)" variety.

Sorry DD, just messin with you. But you've got to admit that Stubbs isn't just behind schedule for a college player that was top 10 pick. He's WAY behind schedule. And get off the "it's not his fault that he's in low-A ball, he doesn't pick where he gets to play" argument. Players have a way of forcing the organization's hand if they do something crazy like play well. Ask Jay Bruce. Or Homer Bailey. And the only reason there haven't been any college players on the "fast track" is because a lot of our college draft picks have been or probably will be busts like Stubbs.

I'll concede that he's behind schedule, but I won't agree about him being "way" behind schedule. If he ends 2008 with reasonable success in AA, I think he's perfectly on schedule. Even if he struggles in AA next year, I still wouldn't necessarily call him a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Sorry DD, just messin with you. But you've got to admit that Stubbs isn't just behind schedule for a college player that was top 10 pick. He's WAY behind schedule. And get off the "it's not his fault that he's in low-A ball, he doesn't pick where he gets to play" argument. Players have a way of forcing the organization's hand if they do something crazy like play well. Ask Jay Bruce. Or Homer Bailey. And the only reason there haven't been any college players on the "fast track" is because a lot of our college draft picks have been or probably will be busts like Stubbs.
    I don't think he is that behind schedule. I figured he would end the season in Sarasota this year. I saw Drew Stubbs the day he was drafted a project with tons of upside.... but one who needed quite a bit of work. Lets be honest though, Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey are of a different ilk than most prospects. Comparing guys career paths to theirs is just silly. Ryan Howard, you know, that guy who won the MVP last year, he spent his entire 22 year old season in Low A too. He had an OPS of .836 that year, as a first baseman nonetheless. I would say he turned out just fine. I don't really care where the guy was drafted or not, I care about where he ends up and how he plays once he gets there. If it takes Drew Stubbs another 3 years to get to Cincinnati and then he can consistantly put up a .780 OPS and play gold glove defense in CF, then he was a great draft pick.

Turn Off Ads?